Timing Belt/water Pump Replacement

jc19907

i've been thru timing belt chages for 94 LS4 (Gen I) I used to own and 97 LS4 (Gen II)/96 SC4 I currently own, all the timing belt job related components (including water pump, pulleys...etc) and precedure are basically identical and interchangeable. if 1UZFE in 94 was a non-interference engine, then 97LS/96SC couldn't magically become "interference" type!

of course, when the VVTi version of 1UZFE started to appear from 98 model, it definately became 'interterence" type.

was it the same service rep told you to put 'type T' fluid in your PS pump?

Edited by wandawoods

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been thru timing belt chages for 94 LS4 (Gen I) I used to own and 97 LS4 (Gen II)/96 SC4 I currently own, all the timing belt job related components (including water pump, pulleys...etc) and precedure are basically identical and interchangeable. if 1UZFE in 94 was a non-interference engine, then 97LS/96SC couldn't magically become "interference" type!

of course, when the VVTi version of 1UZFE started to appear from 98 model, it definately became 'interterence" type.

Wanda,

Good to hear from you once again, could you confirm, if it's not much to ask for, what 1UZFE means? :huh: I would guess it's the engine model? 4.0 V8? I guess it gets tougher to understand the more I seem to ask. I'm still where I was before.

Some of us that are not that smart :chairshot: deeply rely in such expertise that we can find through the Lexus Owners Club site, however, there is sometimes conflicting information that I see between some (not all) discussions that may be applicable to my vehicle, and therefore I have to revert to the "go ask the Dealer" mode, and it stinks, since it's pricey.

However, I service my car there for things that I don't understand or can't reach. Plus I go get a car wash once a week, so it is easy to mingle with the Reps at Lexus and ask these silly but legitimate questions. I understand that taking it to the dealership for service is the most expensive way, but sometimes you have to play it safe.

To answer your question on the type "T" fluid (Not ATF type "T") which is the Approved Power Steering Fluid according to both Toyota and Lexus, no, it is not the same person, this was the parts dept. at Park Place Lexus in Grapevine TX.

1-888-354-7182

In respect to the Service Rep that told me the timing belt being critical due to interference, it was 2 of them, also with Park Place Lexus in Grapevine.

Who do you suppose could probably confirm this info?

Regards!

Tex O'DeLuxe

what 1UZFE means? To answer your question on the type "T" fluid (Not ATF type "T") which is the Approved Power Steering Fluid according to both Toyota and Lexus,

1UZ-FE is Toyota's code name for the 1st generation (1990-97) LS400 V8. Dexron ATF (not Type T) is fluid Toyota specifies for the power steering system http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/psfluid.jpg

Wanda,

Good to hear from you once again, could you confirm, if it's not much to ask for, what 1UZFE means? :huh: I would guess it's the engine model? 4.0 V8? I guess it gets tougher to understand the more I seem to ask. I'm still where I was before.

Some of us that are not that smart :chairshot: deeply rely in such expertise that we can find through the Lexus Owners Club site, however, there is sometimes conflicting information that I see between some (not all) discussions that may be applicable to my vehicle, and therefore I have to revert to the "go ask the Dealer" mode, and it stinks, since it's pricey.

However, I service my car there for things that I don't understand or can't reach. Plus I go get a car wash once a week, so it is easy to mingle with the Reps at Lexus and ask these silly but legitimate questions. I understand that taking it to the dealership for service is the most expensive way, but sometimes you have to play it safe.

To answer your question on the type "T" fluid (Not ATF type "T") which is the Approved Power Steering Fluid according to both Toyota and Lexus, no, it is not the same person, this was the parts dept. at Park Place Lexus in Grapevine TX.

1-888-354-7182

In respect to the Service Rep that told me the timing belt being critical due to interference, it was 2 of them, also with Park Place Lexus in Grapevine.

Who do you suppose could probably confirm this info?

Regards!

Tex O'DeLuxe

Let me see if i can help.

1UZ-FE = 4.0L/4.3L V8 Engine Designation #. Lexus uses corresponding #'s in their lineup for model designations. for instance, the LS400, has a 4.0L V8, hence 400. the LS430 has the 4.3L v8, hence 430. the ES300 has the 3.0LV6 the ES330 has the 3.3L V6, the GX/LX 450/470's share the 4.5L/4.7L V8 out of the toyota tundra, which is a derivative of the 1UZ-FE. The ES250 has the 2.5L 2VZ-FE.

Hope this helps, they are simply numbers to designate engine models, lexus just happens to correspond their names fo the vehicles with the size of the engine.

the 1990-1997 LS400 is non interference. i can confirm. if you still dont believe me, call JP Importz and ask for Jason, 214-221-3135. For future reference, i would take my car there since you are local. he is in garland off of security st. (i used to live in ft worth). his website is www.jpimportz.org

He is by far the best toyota/lexus tech around. especially for the money.

ArmyOfOne:

Wonderful,

I have heard about Jason, will definetly start using him. Good news about Non-Interference through 97, I guess the Service Reps are not as knowledgeable as one would think, it's a shame, there are so many other shops that can work on a variety of cars and know all like the back of their hand, yet Lexus can't keep up with their own in-house models.

A special thanks to you and Wandawoods for keeping up with me!

Tex

It's well established that GenI (90~94) is non-interference (free running) type and GenIII (98~00) is interference type. the big confusion is for GenII (95~97)

I can see lots of referrences on web stating that since the higher "compresion ratio" (10.4:1) was introduced starting from 95 GenII, therefore they becomes "interference" type. I don't really know engine well enough to tell you whether this logic makes sense?!

anyway, both Gates/Dayco web site specifically states 95~97 LS400 are non-interference, and all timing related parts are the same between 1990 and 1997 (I can certainly comfirmed that!). can't really image that GenII 95~97 could become "interference", and still using the same timing parts from Gen-I?!

I hope JP Importz can come on line and clearify for us once for all!

1UZ-FE = 4.0L/4.3L V8 Engine Designation #. Lexus uses corresponding #'s in their lineup for model designations. for instance, the LS400, has a 4.0L V8, hence 400. the LS430 has the 4.3L v8, hence 430. the ES300 has the 3.0LV6 the ES330 has the 3.3L V6, the GX/LX 450/470's share the 4.5L/4.7L V8 out of the toyota tundra, which is a derivative of the 1UZ-FE. The ES250 has the 2.5L 2VZ-FE.

The 430 has a 3uzfe not 1uzfe. ;)

It's well established that GenI (90~94) is non-interference (free running) type and GenIII (98~00) is interference type. the big confusion is for GenII (95~97)

I can see lots of referrences on web stating that since the higher "compresion ratio" (10.4:1) was introduced starting from 95 GenII, therefore they becomes "interference" type. I don't really know engine well enough to tell you whether this logic makes sense?!

anyway, both Gates/Dayco web site specifically states 95~97 LS400 are non-interference, and all timing related parts are the same between 1990 and 1997 (I can certainly comfirmed that!). can't really image that GenII 95~97 could become "interference", and still using the same timing parts from Gen-I?!

I was always told and everything I've read says that the 95-97 is a noninterference. But, who really knows?!?! :wacko:

The 430 has a 3uzfe not 1uzfe. ;)

I was always told and everything I've read says that the 95-97 is a noninterference. But, who really knows?!?! :wacko:

thanks blake, sorry! LOL had a brain !Removed!! haha.

• 1 month later...

102k and today the belt and water pump will be replaced. The belt is 13 years old so when it comes out I will tell you what is looks like. My mechanic is like 5hours of work. GOD BLESS THEM... Hey anything else should be replaced when this is done. I see something about gaskets and also some tension control.

Also I am having him lube up the underside and flush the radiator. It looked like a murkey green.

Additionally I just noticed my LS had the lower ball joints replaced about 60k. So this is good, but I still hear the dreaded crunch in the front end when I hit a bump and its cold. Hopefully the lube will clear this!

102k and today the belt and water pump will be replaced. The belt is 13 years old so when it comes out I will tell you what is looks like. My mechanic is like 5hours of work. GOD BLESS THEM... Hey anything else should be replaced when this is done. I see something about gaskets and also some tension control.

Chris, you should have your mechanic change the cam and crank seals, water pump, both idler pullies, and the tensioner when he does the belt. ;) It sounds like your mechanic is very honest!

:cheers:

may want to consider replacing belt tensioner for serpentine belt while your mechanic is at it, and everything is apart.

that belt tensioner is covered by so many pieces, most of them must be removed during timing belt change anyway, so this will be a perfect timing to change it as well, regardless the state. otherwise if it starts making noise later on, you will have to remove bunch of stuffs to get to it:

advance autopart sell it for $21.

Hello AKEWLGUY! I have a 93ls, what can be lubed on the underside? Also to anyone that has changed their timeing belt. What did your old belt look like? As far as crackes, wear and tear, ect... Mine was supposed to have been changed at 60K ( before I bought the car ). Only goinging by the service sticker under the hood. No indication on my Lexus service records tho. I inspected the belt during a tune up. And it showed no sign of crackes or fraying. Does this matter? or do I need to go ahead and replace? The car has 94K on it now. Thanks for any info.

Walt, I'll attach a few pictures of my timing belt with about 110k miles on it. As you can see, it's in nearly perfect shape. I could have waited a lot longer than I did to change it! You can pull that cover with the 4cam 32valve writing on it to see a little bit of the timing belt. ;)

post-1461-1138066189_thumb.jpg

post-1461-1138066215_thumb.jpg

Blake that's not in perfect shape. Can you see how the teeth are printing through to the smooth side? That's an indication the belt has been in service for some time. Also it is somewhat polished. The shape of the teeth on the rounded tooth belts does not reflect service like the square tooth belts did.

It's good that you changed it.

Blake that's not in perfect shape. Can you see how the teeth are printing through to the smooth side? That's an indication the belt has been in service for some time. Also it is somewhat polished. The shape of the teeth on the rounded tooth belts does not reflect service like the square tooth belts did.

It's good that you changed it.

I know it's not perfect (I said "nearly perfect."), but I meant that it's in pretty nice shape for having roughly 110k-120k on it. Clearly, it is worn, but I think it still looks good for something that is supposedly a 90k item. I drive mainly hwy and accelerate very slowly, so I do believe that I could have safely extended the interval. My $.02

:cheers:

you certainly can push the factory limits, make sure you check the state the timing belt is in and listen to the pulleys, if they make whining noise around 800-1000 rpms that means you HAVE to change the belt and pulleys and tensioner ASAP. while ure there i would recommend changing the water pump. i did this change myself and if you want i can send you the document or you can just search google for it, its been published on plenty of sites:)

Hey guys... Not sure what was changed... I guess we will see since it was done today before I read this thread. Mechanic states that my belt was cracked and on its way to dry rot. I have 100k on my LS and I am glad I changed the parts. Hopefully he changed other gaskets and parts. Cheers and thanks for the advice...

Is there usualy a mileage when the LS and pullies start making noises?

Wanda:

I know I'm responding to a 5 week old post, but I feel that it's very important that everyone understand that a 1995 1 UZFE IS DEFINITELY an INTERFERENCE ENGINE. The Gates/Dayco websites are flat out WRONG about '95~97's being non-interference. I've stated this before, but it is beyond me how Lexus could not have "rolled" the specification number on the engine to indicate this important change from prior years. Again, it has been correctly stated that '90 through '94 1 UZFE is a non-interference engine.

Long story, better told at another time, but I have a couple of bent intake valves from # 1 Cylinder to prove it. As painful as it was, I consider myself very lucky that it wasn't a lot worse.

Wanda:

I know I'm responding to a 5 week old post, but I feel that it's very important that everyone understand that a 1995 1 UZFE IS DEFINITELY an INTERFERENCE ENGINE. The Gates/Dayco websites are flat out WRONG about '95~97's being non-interference. I've stated this before, but it is beyond me how Lexus could not have "rolled" the specification number on the engine to indicate this important change from prior years. Again, it has been correctly stated that '90 through '94 1 UZFE is a non-interference engine.

Long story, better told at another time, but I have a couple of bent intake valves from # 1 Cylinder to prove it. As painful as it was, I consider myself very lucky that it wasn't a lot worse.

please elaborate! did your timing belt break? I totally agree that if it did and bent valves were the result, then it definately is an interference engine!

BTW, my name is not "wanda", "wandawoods" is a street name, and I am a 46-year old male.

Wanda:

please elaborate! did your timing belt break? I totally agree that if it did and bent valves were the result, then it definately is an interference engine!

Wanda:

I'm out of town at the moment, on my way to the airport. I will go into more detail, probably over the weekend.

Thanks

Wanda:

Wanda:

I'm out of town at the moment, on my way to the airport. I will go into more detail, probably over the weekend.

Thanks

it doesnt have Variable Valve Timing with Intellegence...it is NOT an interference engine. I promise you.

ask jason at JP Importz, he will till you...

think of the "i" in VVT-i as standing for interference. there was no VVTi in the LS until 1998.

When I was looking at a variety of used Ls's on my dealers lot (6 years ago) I asked the saleswoman what the major differences were. She said that 95's and up were interferance engines. That and the 8k more helped me decide and drive off in a 91.

Threadcutter said the following about his '95 LS400 engine: "I have a couple of bent intake valves from # 1 Cylinder to prove [the '95 engine is interference]." And mehullica, the highly experienced Lexus dealer tech who has performed hundreds of timing belt replacement jobs and owns his own LS400 told us "1995 on up is interference".