What Ski Rack Do You Have?

rdalemercer

I'm looking for a Ski Rack that I can add to the top of the GX.

There are several on the market - but as I have never owned one I thought that someone in this austere group would have an opinion based on experience that could provide some insight into the good, the bad and the forgetable so I don't waste my time.

Any thought as to the benefit of the Ski Rack vs the Top Carrier (you know, the cases/pod-like things that fit on top of the vehicle that you put skis and other stuff into)?

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for a Ski Rack that I can add to the top of the GX.

There are several on the market - but as I have never owned one I thought that someone in this austere group would have an opinion based on experience that could provide some insight into the good, the bad and the forgetable so I don't waste my time.

Any thought as to the benefit of the Ski Rack vs the Top Carrier (you know, the cases/pod-like things that fit on top of the vehicle that you put skis and other stuff into)?

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

Thanks in advance.

I installed Yakima Big Powderhounds using the universal might mounts directly to the cross bars on the roof rack. Works great.

I've used the Yakima Lift Ticket 6, but my snowboards and skis have always had road grime on them on the way to and after a trip, which meant more waxing and cleaning of my gear. Also, you have to buy Mighty Mounts to attach them to the factory rack. I started using rooftop boxes (you kow, the "pod things"). First, the Karrite Sport Box and more recenty, the Thule Evolution 1600. Both are nice, but to me the Thule Evolution is the Lexus of Boxes. It opens from either side and has an clear coat automotive finish on it, plus, it's more aerodynamic and it locks, so you can leave stuff in your box for extended periods of time. Speaking of stuff, when loaded correctly, these boxes are ideal for tossing extra gear onto the roof and reducing clutter inside your vehicle. I throw my snowy boots up there so I don't mess-up the inside of my GX. The best benefit is having extra space in my GX for people and not boot bags!

I've experienced some drawbacks with boxes, though: First, no matter how aerodynamic they are, you can count on more wind noise and reduced gas mileage. Secondly, if you are like me, you run your car through the wash once or twice a week in the winter months. IF you have a box on your GX, RX or LX, you will have to find a "no touch" car wash with plenty of clearance to get your rig in (and still risk ripping the box off of the car, like I did). The other alternative is to remove the box after each trip, which can be a pain.

Hope this helps...

Joe