Consumer Reports And "the Clunk"

jkulas

I am supposed to pick up my new 2006 GX today. I have been waiting for the dealership to transfer a car from Tuscon to Phoenix as they didn't have one with the DVD system on their lot. During my wait (2 days) I have been reviewing this forum and I am a bit apprehensive about proceeding with my purchase because of the "the clunk" that is so prevalent in these posts.

Consumer Reports does show a "Poor" rating for the Drive System on the '03 models. It improved to "Average" in '04. They list the '05's as "Very Good".

Is it safe to assume that the majority of you who have had the "clunk" have '03s and '04s? I know some of you have reported your '05s with the same problem, but I am just wondering if the frequency on '05s is less.

For those of you with '03s and '04s, how miles did you have on the car before your experienced the "clunk?"

I decided against the X5 and ML350 because I didn't want problems, but it almost seems like the GX isn't a better alternative.

:unsure:

I'm an SC man myself, but my best freind has an 05 GX. The clunk is genreally at low speeds, and starts/stops. She has had the vehicle back to Lexus twice now, for an axle replacement.

Not specifically sure what causes the clunk, they just keep replacing the axle. perhaps the 2nd time was a different axle...and the problem won't go away until they replace all the clunking ones...not sure.

However, don't regret your purchase. Her GX is a lovely vehicle, and is way more car for the money over the Bimmer and the Merc. Worst case is the you will have to suffer the clunks, and have them replaced when you go in for service.

Perhaps the 06 is better...I would bet that it is...Lexus does not let a quality problem linger like this...it's just not Lexus.

Good luck.

I have an '05 with 8500 miles mostly city and have towed a 3700 lb boat a few times. I have no noticeable driveline clunks or any kind of jerking.

I am supposed to pick up my new 2006 GX today. I have been waiting for the dealership to transfer a car from Tuscon to Phoenix as they didn't have one with the DVD system on their lot. During my wait (2 days) I have been reviewing this forum and I am a bit apprehensive about proceeding with my purchase because of the "the clunk" that is so prevalent in these posts.

Consumer Reports does show a "Poor" rating for the Drive System on the '03 models. It improved to "Average" in '04. They list the '05's as "Very Good".

Is it safe to assume that the majority of you who have had the "clunk" have '03s and '04s? I know some of you have reported your '05s with the same problem, but I am just wondering if the frequency on '05s is less.

For those of you with '03s and '04s, how miles did you have on the car before your experienced the "clunk?"

I decided against the X5 and ML350 because I didn't want problems, but it almost seems like the GX isn't a better alternative.

Myself and my brother both bought 05's last Spring and neither of us have had any "Clunk". By far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Had first big snow storm yesterday and I was very impressed with how it handled terrible conditions. That all wheel drive system is a huge improvement over my past 4-runners.

I had to drive thru that same strom in Massachusetts. I just want to say that the GX is one amazing SUV in the snow. It handle everything I throw at it. It went thru un-plow road with a 30 degree slope. It went thru a road that a Honda CRV got stuck in.

One thing that really impress me was the stability program in the GX, you really have to try hard to spin out the back, and it makes a noise when the stability program kicks in, which is a nice feature. I remember my old MDX with the stability program use to spin out going straight at 5 MPH with like 6 inches of snow. In my opinion, the GX is every bit as good as my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee in the snow, and the Jeep had off road tires.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an '03 GX and it clunked when I test drove it (it is certified). The clunk only occured when I engaged the hight adjustment system. I told the Dealer that I'd only buy the car if they could get rid of the clunk. The next morning, the clunk was gone. I was so excited about getting the truck that I forgot to ask how they fixed it. I'm hoping that won't come back, but after 1,000 miles, there are no clunks to be heard...

'03 GX in the family with 40,000mi. It has clunked consistently since day one. Two different dealers have replaced two different parts to do away with the sounds. It still is there, mostly at a stop when you let off the brakes. The dealer did mention Lexus was working on a fix... We'll see. Still a great SUV though.

• 2 weeks later...

A 2004 which clunked from the first day.

It went like this - slow to a stop, and at about 1 mph, the car behind you rear-ended you. At least, that's what it felt like.

Finally I subscribed to www.alldatadiy.com and had access to Lexus recall information and technical service bulletins. These take a year to be made available and put on line for us - Lexus valued customers. In other words, Lexus and their dealers hide them for a year from their consumers.

So after 15 months of clunking, and 20k miles, and confronted with the Lexus TSB printed out for them, the dealer's service department finally admitted there was a problem, and did something to fix it.

My next car may be a Lexus, but I no longer trust Jim Hudson Lexus service.

05 here yep it clunks. They supposedly did something buts its still there

I have on '06 with no clunks.

As a owner of an 05 GX and a Lexus master tech, here is the unoffical word that I have gotten from the tech department---a revised rear driveshaft is still under development---I have worked on GX's 03-05 experiencing the clunk, and yes mine does it too---the problem lies with the slip yoke on the end of the driveshaft (end of the shaft slides in/out on splines)---the clunk comes from the splines that are machined onto the main part of the shaft and the yoke sticks as is slides---has to be at the right height to make it happen---first there was a service bulletin with an updated shaft---still makes noise with new shaft--then there is an un-offical field fix that involved cleaning/smoothing out the splines--50/50 chance if it worked---as of right now, when a GX comes in with a clunk complaint---we submit VIN and customer info to Lexus tech center and they are building a case for correction---still have yet to see new "updated" shaft (2nd time), but i will keep everyone posted--I have access to all Lexus service bulletins if needed (Lexus service bulletins are public type documents---there was some lawsuit that made it illegal to keep service bulletins from the public eye--if you go to a Lexus dealer and ask for a copy of a bulletin, they should give it to you

hope this helps answer some questions

Jason :P

Mr. Yellow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're my hero!! Thank you VERY VERY much for this kind information, greatly appreciated. although I haven't experience the "clunk" yet, I now understand it much much more and I'm certainly grateful for the Lexus Technical insight you provided as a MASTER tech (Lexus).

Please do keep us informed....

-Alex

• 3 weeks later...

As a owner of an 05 GX and a Lexus master tech, here is the unoffical word that I have gotten from the tech department---a revised rear driveshaft is still under development---I have worked on GX's 03-05 experiencing the clunk, and yes mine does it too---the problem lies with the slip yoke on the end of the driveshaft (end of the shaft slides in/out on splines)---the clunk comes from the splines that are machined onto the main part of the shaft and the yoke sticks as is slides---has to be at the right height to make it happen---first there was a service bulletin with an updated shaft---still makes noise with new shaft--then there is an un-offical field fix that involved cleaning/smoothing out the splines--50/50 chance if it worked---as of right now, when a GX comes in with a clunk complaint---we submit VIN and customer info to Lexus tech center and they are building a case for correction---still have yet to see new "updated" shaft (2nd time), but i will keep everyone posted--I have access to all Lexus service bulletins if needed (Lexus service bulletins are public type documents---there was some lawsuit that made it illegal to keep service bulletins from the public eye--if you go to a Lexus dealer and ask for a copy of a bulletin, they should give it to you

hope this helps answer some questions

Jason :P

bullseye

exactly what palm beach lexus has been telling me since we drove the car off the lot in august 05 (2 trips back, one polishing and lube attempt, one new drive shaft, still thumping)

I think I'd be ok with this whole process if I knew I was "on a list for mfr repair" when the fix surfaced.

as long as the thump doesn't cause other problems like the xmission, and I can get a commitment from Lexus, I can stay calm about the investment.

any insight mryellow?

• 2 weeks later...

NJ,

The best I can say is that there are LESS complains about the thump now for the 2005/2006 models than there are for the 2003/2004 models.

Officially I don't think Lexus has a FIX yet for this... But knock on wood, I certainly glad this hasn't happened to me yet...

-Alex

NJ,

The best I can say is that there are LESS complains about the thump now for the 2005/2006 models than there are for the 2003/2004 models.

Officially I don't think Lexus has a FIX yet for this... But knock on wood, I certainly glad this hasn't happened to me yet...

-Alex

I've got almost 2000 miles on my 2006 GX and have not experienced what many have described on the board so hopefully they have been able to at least keep it under control.

NJ,

-Alex

I've got almost 2000 miles on my 2006 GX and have not experienced what many have described on the board so hopefully they have been able to at least keep it under control.

I have 1700 miles on my 06 GX and its nice and quiet. Matter of fact my 05 GX had 4700 miles on it when I sold it and it was just as quiet.

hehe he :cheers:

Knock on wood, my GX470 05' now has close to 6000miles on it with no CLUNK so far... IT's still out there, I know some new owners are complaining about it, but there are far less complaints about this than there used to be... :)

Bob, how's the 06' compared to the 05' model and I GOTTA ask... You the switch or trade in.... Dying of curiosity!!!! Exactly identicle and do you miss the extra HP your 05' had...!!! J/K, I know it's a new Gov't testing standard... Bur seriously would love to know what the differences are between the two, er, aside from your updated, NAV DVD version...!! :)

-Alex

hehe he :cheers:

Knock on wood, my GX470 05' now has close to 6000miles on it with no CLUNK so far... IT's still out there, I know some new owners are complaining about it, but there are far less complaints about this than there used to be... :)

Bob, how's the 06' compared to the 05' model and I GOTTA ask... You the switch or trade in.... Dying of curiosity!!!! Exactly identicle and do you miss the extra HP your 05' had...!!! J/K, I know it's a new Gov't testing standard... Bur seriously would love to know what the differences are between the two, er, aside from your updated, NAV DVD version...!! :)

-Alex

I traded the 05 for the 06. I had the ivory colored interior in the 05 and I thought I liked it. After living with it for 3 months I decided to get the same exterior color (Blizzard Pearl) with the dark gray interior. The only changes on the vehicle is a nice leather covered parking brake handle instead of the plastic covered one in the 03-05"s. Also the 06 has coat hangars over each rear door that the 03-05's were lacking. That is when you get the forced 3rd seat/ac option. And like you said, the 06 has the latest navigation DVD. Power wise is the same. Now I'm very happy with the dark gray interior.

Lexus will buy your car back if you complain loudly enough about the "clunk". I am going to buy at auction next week a 2003 low mileage GX470 to replace our LX470---this car is being sold by Lexus Financial and is a buyback. In my due diligence, I asked what was the defect that led to the buuback. i was told it was the driveshaft clunk. There is also a low mileage 04 buyback for sale with the same problem. In both cases, I am told the problem has been fixed. I have attached the "condition report" that Lexus Financial includes for each of its cars sold at auction. Note about 2/3 of the way down the capital letter notations "AS IS MANBB" When this car is resold, it must be disclosed as a buyback. By the way, it is not sold "as is" that is standard language from Manheim auction. The car is sold with the remainder of the factory warranty and Lexus represents the problem has been fixed.

If you indeed have the clunk and have had it to the dealer several times, most states' lemon laws require the manufacturer to buy the car back. Lexus does indeed buy them back.

2003 LEXUS GX470 - SILVER

Body Style: 4Dr SUV - Sun Roof

Ext Color/Code: SILVER -

Int Color/Code: TAN -

Mileage: 19,189

ECM Mileage: n/a

Seller: LEXUS FINANCIAL SERVICES/GEORGIA

Title State: FL

Certified: No

Condition/Grade: Grade 4, Clean

Rcv Date: 01/30/2006

Sale: 17