Rx330 Clunk Sound

mcfancy

Funny, I got the same thing and know exactly what you are talking about! I started a thread twice with NO responses or concerns--I took out another vehicle months ago and it did the same thing so I dont know what it is but seems they all do it???

This summer Im taking my Mechanic on a ride and let him hear it himeself as he has found nothing loose in the rear. And its always a right hand turn just like you described:) weird huh!

Funny, I got the same thing and know exactly what you are talking about!  I started a thread twice with NO responses or concerns--I took out another vehicle months ago and it did the same thing so I dont know what it is but seems they all do it??? 

This summer Im taking my Mechanic on a ride and let him hear it himeself as he has found nothing loose in the rear.  And its always a right hand turn just like you described:)  weird huh!

im concerned becauase it sounds like its from the axles area ; my spare is tight and its definitely a noise from the carrage...any otehr experts out there...

Mine does the exact same thing! However, I got someone in the very back and did it. They said it's between the rear hatch and the rear body. I'll take it into the dealer sometime soon just to have them look at it. It's very easy to reproduce so it should be fixed easily.

Yes it easy to reproduce, it sounds like the strut topping out or something, but very noticable on RT hand incline turns? Does it do it doing a left hand turn...check it out?

Let us know what the dealer finds out because I want to get this fixed, but I cant do anything now because of all the snow. Like I said I took out a loaner 04/05 cant remember and it did the same thing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Partynr....did u learn anything about the problem....anyone else??

Not to give anyone the idiot treatment, but have you removed all of the tools from the tray under the plastic liner? Have you tried removing the spare tire and cover just to eliminate them as possible sources? Sometimes the obvious things are overlooked. Sorry if this offends anyone or you have already done it.

Gary

Partynr....did u learn anything about the problem....anyone else??

Not to give anyone the idiot treatment, but have you removed all of the tools from the tray under the plastic liner? Have you tried removing the spare tire and cover just to eliminate them as possible sources? Sometimes the obvious things are overlooked. Sorry if this offends anyone or you have already done it.

Gary

whre are the lexus masters when we need them???help

Are you sure the clunk is coming from the rear? As Booyah describes, I started hearing a noise in my '04 RX FWD when I would turn the steering wheel to the right or left, about 2/3 way. Thought it sounded like it was coming from the rear, but after closer listening it was coming from up front. Turned out the suspension, believe it was the strut tower, was coming in contact with the cowling underneath the hood. Have them check the upper strut bolts which tend to come lose due to body flex. The cowling will shift as a result.

Problem was definitely reproducible, especially after the car had sat for half an hour or so, and the service manager had no problems reproducing it either.

If you are sure it is coming from the rear, it may be a similar problem.

Maybe my service techs are just plain good, but your dealer should be able to locate any noise you can hear if you can tell them how to reproduce.

B

I am quite familiar with this problem. What everyone should be aware of is that all and I repeat ALL 2004 and 2005 RX 330's are affected by this problem because it is an inherent problem with the design of the vehicle. If you say your's doesn't do it, its just because either you haven't noticed it or you haven't experienced the conditions that cause it to happen.

Specifically this is a thumping from the rear hatch when going up a banked curb such as on a drive way. I have only ever heard it when making a right hand turn. If you make a left hand turn to get up your driveway, chances are you won't hear it. It is not from the suspension, trust me, I had mine replaced when I first noticed this and it had no effect. After this, I had a very sharp technician road test with me and we noticed that the noise fails to occur when the hatch is left open (try this at home). We looked even closer and noticed that at the very instant that the noise occurs, the hatch gets dislocated out of alignment for a brief period and then goes back into place....hence the thump.

The problem is that when the vehicle undergoes torsion (twisting) force, there is only one anchor point at the base of the hatch, and hence it pops out of place for a brief moment and makes a thump. Once the vehicle levels out again, it goes back into place quickly.

We all have this problem and should all be complaining to our dealerships about it otherwise they won't have an incentive to fix it. I am curious as to how much money Lexus has lost replacing suspensions that were not faulty.

• 5 months later...

I am quite familiar with this problem. What everyone should be aware of is that all and I repeat ALL 2004 and 2005 RX 330's are affected by this problem because it is an inherent problem with the design of the vehicle. If you say your's doesn't do it, its just because either you haven't noticed it or you haven't experienced the conditions that cause it to happen.

Specifically this is a thumping from the rear hatch when going up a banked curb such as on a drive way. I have only ever heard it when making a right hand turn. If you make a left hand turn to get up your driveway, chances are you won't hear it. It is not from the suspension, trust me, I had mine replaced when I first noticed this and it had no effect. After this, I had a very sharp technician road test with me and we noticed that the noise fails to occur when the hatch is left open (try this at home). We looked even closer and noticed that at the very instant that the noise occurs, the hatch gets dislocated out of alignment for a brief period and then goes back into place....hence the thump.

The problem is that when the vehicle undergoes torsion (twisting) force, there is only one anchor point at the base of the hatch, and hence it pops out of place for a brief moment and makes a thump. Once the vehicle levels out again, it goes back into place quickly.

We all have this problem and should all be complaining to our dealerships about it otherwise they won't have an incentive to fix it. I am curious as to how much money Lexus has lost replacing suspensions that were not faulty.

Had to find this thread again...lol

But you are EXACTLY correct with the hatch being OPEN and taking the turn it does not do it--problem solved if I want to drive around with my hatch open all the time :P . NOW, has anybody had this fixed or is it unfixable? Glad someone figured it out finally--but can we eliminate is the question

Awesome...thanks! Think Ill head over there now:)

That thump is not to big of a deal but has always bugged the crap out of me every time I drive it and turn into my subdivision!!

My wife just got her 2004 RX330 back from the dealer. There was a loud popping noise/feel coming from the right front during some sharp right hand turns. I know they replaced the hub and a few other parts due to some binding. Not sure on the specifics because I didn't pick it up and their paperwork is severly lacking on details.

My only gripe with them is they tried to get us to pay for an alignment after the work was done. The Assistant Service Manager eventually caved and they did the alignment for free.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2005 Rx 330 with 47K on it...just traded in my 2000 Rx 300. Love the Rx 330, however noticed a popping noise when making a left hand turn at slow speed....it does'nt do it all the time. Any clue on what it could be? Also noticed noise (when traveling over a bumpy road) like something is loose under the transmission selector housing? Taking it to the shop on Monday...still covered by warranty.

A popping or clicking noise originating from under the front axles when turning the steering wheel usually indicates that one of your CV joint rubber boots has failed (cracked open) and allowed all of the lubricating grease to escape. After a while, the metal-on-metal friction causes the CV joint to fail. This is a common problem and the common fix is simply to replace the axle assembly with a rebuilt unit, good as new. The typical cost from an independent service facility will run around $200 to $250. If you let your dealership do the repairs, expect to pay twice that much....

A popping or clicking noise originating from under the front axles when turning the steering wheel usually indicates that one of your CV joint rubber boots has failed (cracked open) and allowed all of the lubricating grease to escape. After a while, the metal-on-metal friction causes the CV joint to fail. This is a common problem and the common fix is simply to replace the axle assembly with a rebuilt unit, good as new. The typical cost from an independent service facility will run around $200 to $250. If you let your dealership do the repairs, expect to pay twice that much....

Lexus dealer stated it was a strut problem

• 11 years later...

My 2002 Lexus RX 300 is making a bumping noise when I drive and turn only to the right. My husband has replaced the wheel bearings, struts, new tires and lateral linkage and sway bar links and it is still happening. Any ideas what it could be? It feels like it’s under the vehicle but hard to tell if it’s front or back. 
thanks