Pictures Of My Blinkers

they can definately be seen during the day, but not what I am used to.

I haven't had anyone flip me the bird or yell at me for what they thought was not signaling. People know I am turning, so they can be seen. I can most definately see them when I am walking up to it in the parking lot, but

as stated, it is not like naked bulbs.

I haven't seen any actual Philips Silvervison bulbs flash next to a standard 1156 amber bulb, so I really don't know if what I am seeing is the actual decrease or is my paint too thick.

I did thin/smooth it out on one of the bulbs as a test to see how thin it had to be before the amber came through again. It was pretty thin.

Oh well, I will see what's up next weekend.

steviej

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used the paint that was stated in that thread, except it was the chrome, not the silver.

Let me know how yours come out. I will strip and repeat these if the silver paint works better than the chrome.

the key I did find is to get the underside of the bulb, this area reflects the most amber in the mirror.

sj

Here's what I meant Steve, I apologize I should have been more clear

Just did the mod myself and let me tell what a difference in appearance it makes  . Instead of rust oleum, I used some metallic plasticote stuff that I picked up at Pep Boys for about 4 bucks.

Just wanted to thank you again Jag3er for the tip! 

EDIT - seems as though the brightness of the bulbs are exactly the same too...I didn't experience any dimming whatsoever

This guy states that he had no dimming at all with the Plastikote Metallic Silver, thats what I found at the Advance Auto parts. I'm going to try that, I'll let you know.

that sure is a lot of bulbs you got steviej haha :P

during the day, my blinkers can be seen, but during the night, you can be a mile away and see my blinkers cuz itz so bright... ok, exagerrating a bit here :chairshot: but it is bright during the night, you'd have to be blind to miss me signaling to change lanes. but i live in la, half the la drivers don't signal anyway, and when you do signal, nobody lets you into their lane :chairshot: hahaha i love driving in la :lol:

sounds like Boston. Only here we signal with a finger....kinda like pointing to the lane you want to go to. Know what I mean.

I got so many bulbs cause I got over zealous, and needed a few to practice.

sj.

Not to rain on the parade......

.......but in most states, your turn indicators have to be yellow by law. I've been pulled over (as a passenger) in my buddy's rice rocket b/c his turn signals were blue/white and not yellow.

Given that your car is pretty high class and low profile, you may not run into too much trouble, but I wouldn't want to be the guy behind you that thinks there is something wrong when your "reverse lights" are coming on during a turn.

The silverized and Silvervision bulbs do blink amber. The lamp doesnt have to be amber, it just has to blink amber.

Chill's blue ones are definately illegal though ;) Generally though, I dont think anyone would be dumb enough to think that one white light blinking is the reverse lights. I see cars with the white turnsignals all the time around here, it never occured to me that it might be the reverse lights.

OK, so I didn't like my attempt at psuedo-silvervision. Steve, I hope you have better luck with the alternative paint.

I tried to remove the silver paint with laquer thinner and wouldn't you know the bulb is not amber glass. So now I got a clear bulb.

With Chillaxin in mind, I popped the cleared bulb in the back light socket and hit the lock button. Jesus Christ......it lit up the neighborhood. I'm calling it Ultra White Plus. So that's out. This would get me pulled over quicker than an off color bulb.

I put the ambers back in.

I did contact Philips and see what their intentions where about marketing a Silvervision bulb in the 7440 wedge application. Here is there responce:

Philips Lighting answer:

Mr. Johnson,

I've researched your request and right now we are in the process of reviewing our future product profile. Right now this bulb is not in the aftermarket profile, but we may change that this fall. Please check back with us or check your local K-Mart for future changes...

Thanks for your interest in Philips Automotive Lighting

oh well. I still love my car.

steviej

hahahaha :lol: it is pretty bright, ain't it? :lol: i think the reason it is so much brighter than most cars that have clear corners is that the corner is just pretty much clear glass, compared to bmw, which is kind of an opaque clear corner. oh well, i'm just hoping i don't run into a cop who woke up on the wrong side of the bed :lol:

What specifically didnt you like about them Steve?

"check your local K-Mart"??!?!?!? Interesting response LOL. He doesn't even realize the normal Silvervisions aren't availiable here anywhere...

many reasons, I think cause they were not consistent in brightness form corner to corner (easily fixed by repainting).

They did not look bright enough to see during the day and I felt I maybe settin my self for a collision and the other person says "I didn't see his blinker". It may be nice to look at (silvered out bulbs) but I need the piece of mind that I am being seen the other way too.

I don't know, I kinda like the reflection and star pattern of the bright amber bulb out the back when it flashes.

Maybe if silvervisions ever come out, they will be consistent and brighter.

As for K-Mart, maybe he meant Wal-Mart. Didn't K-Mart go out of business. I never shopped there. Overall, maybe Philips is planning a major invasion into the automotive lighting market in the US this fall. Don't rightly know.

sj

actually, k-mart filed a chapter 11 bankruptcy, which basically means they're just restructuring their debt, so technically, they are still in business. there's still a lot of k-marts open in so cal.

Yeah they're not going anywhere.

Another fear I have about them is them exploding. I've had bulbs explode before (granted they were halogen) and I had to replace the whole lamp assembly. That was a Ford and it only cost 90 bucks, this is a Lexus and those things cost upwards of $300.

I'm thinking I may wait for the real thing too, which I'm sure the coating is designed so that they are consistant. Phillips is a quality company.