Automatic Transmission Fluid

frodo1028

I recently purchased a 1992 LS400 and I decided to service the engine, transmission and differential oil. In the owners manual, it calls for Type T II transmission fluid. When I went to buy oil at the autoparts store, they had never heard of type T II oil and said that it was probably superceded by Dextron III. I drained the 2 quarts in the pan and added 2 quarts of Dextron III. Then, a few days later, I was on line at the Toyota Technical Information System (TIS) and I came across a technical bulletin that talked about the ATF fluids that are acceptable for various cars. It said that the type T II has been superceded by type T III but NOT to use Dextron III and never to mix the oils. So here is my question. The transmission holds many more quarts than the 2 that can be drained (I think something like 10 quarts) so I now have mixed fluids. How many times do you guys think I should change the oil before I get rid of the diluted Dextron III or do you think that only 2 quarts is not enough to worry about? :chairshot:

i have a '94 LS400 and my owner's manual does not say anything about type T ATF fluid with Dextron. It just says ATF with Dextron II (which has been superceded by ATF III). for what it's worth...

I recently purchased a 1992 LS400 and I decided to service the engine, transmission and differential oil.  In the owners manual, it calls for Type T II transmission fluid.  When I went to buy oil at the autoparts store, they had never heard of type T II oil and said that it was probably superceded by Dextron III.  I drained the 2 quarts in the pan and added 2 quarts of Dextron III.  Then, a few days later, I was on line at the Toyota Technical Information System (TIS) and I came across a technical bulletin that talked about the ATF fluids that are acceptable for various cars.  It said that the type T II has been superceded by type T III but NOT to use Dextron III and never to mix the oils.  So here is my question.  The transmission holds many more quarts than the 2 that can be drained (I think something like 10 quarts) so I now have mixed fluids.  How many times do you guys think I should change the oil before I get rid of the diluted Dextron III or do you think that only 2 quarts is not enough to worry about?:chairshot:

2 quarts of Dexron III into 8 quarts of Type T is no big deal to panic over. That's why your transmission is still shifting OK. But I would get 7 quarts of Toyota Type T-IV from a Toyota parts dept. and then over a period of days do a total of three oil pan drain and refills with the Toyota Type T-IV to gradually get rid of the Dexron III from the system.

Dexron III does have a proper and approved use in all Lexus's - in the power steering system.

The owners manual for my 93 LS also calls for Dexron II ATF; however, the top of the dipstick calls for Type II. Are they the same? I have no idea.

I have also read the technical bulletin which lists the acceptable fluids for various years. This bulletin certainly indicates that Dexron should not be mixed with Toyota Types II and IV.

Some months ago, I sent an e-mail to Lexus asking about the conflict between the owner's manual and the dipstick. I never received an answer.

The label on the back of a quart of Valvoline Max Life Dexron III indicates that it is compatible with Toyota Type II and Type IV. I wouldn't think that Valvoline would take the risk of printing this on the label if there was some danger of possible transmission damage resulting from the products being mixed.

So, how does one digest all this conflicting information? I think the safest route is probably to use Toyota Type IV although it costs about double what Dexron III costs.

Thanks Monarch! I'll get on it right away after Thanksgiving. I guess I now know what I'll be doing Friday.

Frodo

2 quarts of Dexron III into 8 quarts of Type T is no big deal to panic over. That's why your transmission is still shifting OK. But I would get 7 quarts of Toyota Type T-IV from a Toyota parts dept. and then over a period of days do a total of three oil pan drain and refills with the Toyota Type T-IV to gradually get rid of the Dexron III from the system.

Dexron III does have a proper and approved use in all Lexus's - in the power steering system.

• 4 years later...
Thanks Monarch! I'll get on it right away after Thanksgiving. I guess I now know what I'll be doing Friday.

Frodo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would...and did...switch to Valvoline Dex/merc High mile and flush the old oil out drop the pan and change the screen. No more worries.