Atf Checking Procedure

mckellyb

I've looked in the manual, but for some reason, I don't see it in there.

This is a procedure which differs between vehicles, some running in "P", some "N", sometimes the fluid needs to be up to operating temp, sometimes not, and of course you have combinations of the above.

What is the proper level checking procedure for the '02 AWD 300????

Thanks!!!!

For the most accurate reading, check fluid after 20-40 minutes of driving either around town or on a mostly level highway. Park car on level ground and with engine idling shift slowly through all gear ranges ending in Park. With engine still idling, pull dipstick, wipe it clean and reinsert and level should be WITHIN (never above) the Hot Range.

If you are a beginner at checking transmission fluid you may need to pull dipstick, wipe it clean and reinsert it multiple times to be able to read the level clearly.

Service shops commonly fill the transmission when the fluid temp is cool, resulting in an overfilled condition when the fluid is Hot. Therefore you may find your fluid level is over the Hot range. If so, loosen the tranny drain plug slightly - enough to let about a half pint dribble out and then retighten drain plug and recheck fluid level. Repeat if necessary to get the fluid level down to within the Hot range.

Thanks! In Park, idling, engine warm.

As an owner of one of the cursed-transmission mid-90's Chrysler LH cars, a 1995 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.5L, I am all too familiar with not only how sensitive transmissions can be to pretty much all environmental aspects of use, but also how insanely important following the exact procedures can be.

I don't want to ever have to put a tranny in the Lexus. Well, if it has over 150K miles on it, I'd be okay with that, but otherwise...