Just Bought A Sc400

JtathBSC400

This is my first Lexus, prior to this car I have owned mainly American made cars. Its a SC 400 with all the options. The 400 has 111000 miles on it and its in great shape, everything that came with the car is still with it right down to the first aid box. I paid 8,000 for it, hope that’s not too much, because there are some problems. I know that a car of its age is going to have some issues but I’m just worried that I’m going to loose a lot of money fixing problems. I love driving it but I’m afraid to get on it, due to the timing belt, unknown if its been replaced. :(

There is a noise coming from the motor compartment, I think its the power steering pump but I am not sure, the sound increases when the steering wheel is turned at low speeds.

Second, there is a slight sound possibly from the transmission. I’m not sure what sounds are common and uncommon on this car but there is a sound that is similar to that of a louder manual transmission in gear at low speeds.

Third, the climate display has the black bleed on the screen, where can I buy the part from and how do you remove and replace it?

Fourth, the rear speakers are not working, the sub appears to be working but the others are not.

Right now I’m concerned that I have a lemon, what steps would all of you suggest for me on this? The body and interior are near perfect with all the original body parts and glass, the previous owner even took the time to have small paint chips painted, it is a sharp looking car that’s extremely clean. I just want it to work as well as it looks. Please give me guidance from experience, thanks in advance.

Bring your car to a lexus dealer and have them check it out (pre owned certification check) for approx. $90. They should also pull the service records and give you a print out. This should have been done prior to your purchase as well as a carfax check. The power steering usually fails at 75,000mi and can leak ultimately causing alternater/electrical problems. You can usually get a rebuilt power steering pump or rebuild kit on ebay etc and save a small fortune. You should probably change the oil and brake fluid and transmission fluids and filters if they have not been done recently. Lexus should be able to determine any transmission,engine,suspension, brake and electrical problems. See if you can find a good local mechanic with lexus/toyota experience as lexus charges a small fortune $99/hr for labor and high prices for parts. Try googling for lexus parts. I use the-best-source.com for oil filters,belts,etc.

The car came with a car fax report, and other misc records, however I was looking at the car the same time that another person was, so I kind took the plunge thinking that I could fix most of the small stuff, hope I’m not to far in over my head. Thanks for the replies, and if any one is familiar with mechanics in the Denver metro area that they have had good experience with pleas let me know.

The car came with a car fax report, and other misc records, however I was looking at the car the same time that another person was, so I kind took the plunge thinking that I could fix most of the small stuff, hope I’m not to far in over my head. Thanks for the replies, and if any one is familiar with mechanics in the Denver metro area that they have had good experience with pleas let me know.

I just spoke with a independent Lexus repair shop who want 1,100 to replace the Timing belt, water pump, crank and timing seals, and the idler. Is this too much for this srevice? And how do I find out if they are a reputable shop?

Check the lexus &/or owner's records first to see if the timing belt was already done. If not, this sounds like it is in the ballpark if it includes all the parts and labor. You can easily call a dealership and get another estimate for the same work for comparison. I still think it is worth the $90-100 to have the car fully checked out before starting a big service. You might want to know if there is hidden damage to the engine,transmission,suspension etc before you start spending as it may pay to get everything done at the same time.

:( I called the dealership and they only have some records on the car that show that the ac was worked on, there was no info on the routine maintence :angry: I call a three independent shops, Ive not had good experience with previous dealerships, it seems to me that they try to hurry with the work and the result is some what poor. I dont know about Lexus dealers, but they are all focused on MONEY so are Lexus dealers the best place to go? What are my options?