New Gs400 Owner Needs Your Help!

Hey, guys. I am about to come into possession of a 1998 GS400 with 70k KM on it. That is about 40k mi. It has a full alpine stereo system, a 12 disc CD changer, and four DVD screens. My main question regards the fact that I am totally new to the Lexus scene. I have owned a Honda, a Porsche 951 (which I am currently selling), and now this GS400.

Does anyone have a website pertaining to all the changes that where made to the GS400 from start of production until now? I mean, I don't even know what the difference between a first gen and second gen GS is!

In addition, if you guys could help me out in what specifics to look for when buying a GS400, I would be very appreciative.

Prsch951RedT :ph34r:

Hey,

Welcome to the club. Lexus is certainly in my opinion the best car on the road. It's without a doubt the quietest, most reliable luxury automobile in the industry. The GS400 is rare breed that is no longer being produced. It's a one of kind auto that started in 98 and stopped in 2000. If I'm correct I believe the 98-00 is the second generation, the first gen being that of the 93-97 GS300. The current models (or third gen.) B) are either the GS430 or the GS300. The GS400 has a staggering 300 hp and does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. Which for a nearly 4000 lb car is pretty quick. For it's time and even in todays standards that kind of speed is pretty amazing. I've had a 98 GS400 for about 6 months and it's been an absolute blast everytime I get to drive it. It's the quietest car I've ever driven inside and out. The leather is so comfortable, the radio = perfection. The indy style tiptronic on the steering wheel is my favorite part. The only loss is you will probably lose touch with your mechanic since repairs (as far as I've heard and experienced) are virtually non-existant.

Enjoy!

Hey,

Welcome to the club.  Lexus is certainly in my opinion the best car on the road.  It's without a doubt the quietest, most reliable luxury automobile in the industry.  The GS400 is rare breed that is no longer being produced.  It's a one of kind auto that started in 98 and stopped in 2000.  If I'm correct I believe the 98-00 is the second generation, the first gen being that of the 93-97 GS300.  The current models (or third gen.)  B) are either the GS430 or the GS300.  The GS400 has a staggering 300 hp and does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds.  Which for a nearly 4000 lb car is pretty quick.  For it's time and even in todays standards that kind of speed is pretty amazing.  I've had a 98 GS400 for about 6 months and it's been an absolute blast everytime I get to drive it.  It's the quietest car I've ever driven inside and out.  The leather is so comfortable, the radio = perfection.  The indy style tiptronic on the steering wheel is my favorite part.  The only loss is you will probably lose touch with your mechanic since repairs (as far as I've heard and experienced) are virtually non-existant.

Enjoy!

You have just made my day sir! :cheers: The low repair costs really hit the spot for me. Coming from owning a 951, anyone who used to own/owns one will know why!

Hey,

Welcome to the club.  Lexus is certainly in my opinion the best car on the road.  It's without a doubt the quietest, most reliable luxury automobile in the industry.  The GS400 is rare breed that is no longer being produced.  It's a one of kind auto that started in 98 and stopped in 2000.  If I'm correct I believe the 98-00 is the second generation, the first gen being that of the 93-97 GS300.  The current models (or third gen.)  B) are either the GS430 or the GS300.  The GS400 has a staggering 300 hp and does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds.  Which for a nearly 4000 lb car is pretty quick.  For it's time and even in todays standards that kind of speed is pretty amazing.  I've had a 98 GS400 for about 6 months and it's been an absolute blast everytime I get to drive it.  It's the quietest car I've ever driven inside and out.  The leather is so comfortable, the radio = perfection.  The indy style tiptronic on the steering wheel is my favorite part.  The only loss is you will probably lose touch with your mechanic since repairs (as far as I've heard and experienced) are virtually non-existant.

Enjoy!

You have just made my day sir! :cheers: The low repair costs really hit the spot for me. Coming from owning a 951, anyone who used to own/owns one will know why!

No prob that's what were here for... You are going to love it....seriously I haven't spoke to my mehcanic since I bought it....let me know what you think over the next few weeks.

Have fun..

www.lexus.com . Check out model library and at the top of the listing they have new changes for that year

Yup. Look at Lexus.com's model library. They removed the 98 and 99 model years but you can see the 2000. In 2001, the car had a refresh and became the GS430. The 98-05 GS was considered 2nd Gen although there were no "first gen" GS4x0 since the first gen was a GS300 only.