Tires For 96 Ls400 And Speed Rating

dianelouise

We've decided to keep our 1994 LS400 for a few more years. I've been reading the recommendations here and at tirerack and my head is spinning! I average about 8K city miles a year - and would like a nice quiet ride with good wet traction. (Speed isn't really an issue as the posted road speeds are 35mph max!) Longevity is a bonus (my dunlop sport 5000s lasted only 23K miles). Do I need to get V rated tires or would H be ok? What will be the difference to me between High Performance All Season and Grand Touring All Season tires? So far, my short list is: Yoko avid V4s; goodyear assurance tripletread; and now perhaps Falken Ziex ZE 512. Bridgestone Turanza LSV sounded good, but they are very $$$. Michelin MXV4s were on the list, but they didn't seem to get good wet traction reviews. We also have to replace the brakes on this baby, so I can't afford to make the wrong decision with these tires! Help! Thanks in advance for any advise. diane

The Nov. 2005 issue of Consumer Reports has great info and ratings on tires. The Gooyear Tripletred and Michelin X (latter available only from Costco) were tops in ride comfort and quietness and I believe the Tripletred edged out the Michelin in wet traction. The Michelin MXV4-Plus (available everywhere) is very similar to the Michelin X.

I consider Consumer Reports better than tirerack.com as a source of objective information. For example, CR correctly reported the Goodyear Comfortred delivers mediocre ride comfort whereas Tirerack.com erroneously reports the Comfortred is tops in ride comfort. I found out the hard way CR was right about the Comfortreds delivering a rough ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Your absolute best bet would be the Goodyear Triple Treads.

I am trying to obtain a copy of the most recent CR tests in which (as stated) the TT came in first place overall. The Triple Tread has an 80,000 mile treadwear to boot! They will be on my 2001 ES befor the end of this month (Nov, 05). B)

:cheers:

I looked at the GY triple treds at sears and theirs were only a "T" speed rating.  GY triple treds at tirerack.com were "H" rated.  What would be the consequences of putting an "H" rated tire on my LS400 which recommends a "V" rating?

What is the tire size you need?

Going down only one speed rating (from V to an H as an example) is not a big deal. The ride will be ever so slightly softer.....H speed rating is good for 130 MP/H, vs. V speed rating at 149 MP/H........I doubt very much any of us would reach those speeds on our highways.......not to mention the 'governers' that are built into the cars themselves. My 01 ES is rated a V speed......I too will be moving down 1 speed rating & getting the H rated Triple Treads. B) ;)

:cheers:

Actually going down one speed rating may not make the ride softer, it may make it a tad bit rougher. Thats one of the reasons Lexus tends to use V rated tires on their cars is the lower rolling resistance and higher quality rubber compounds coupled with the sturdier construction of the tire make for a smoother more stable ride. The choice of speed rating has nothing to do with the speeds you can safely achieve with the car, it has everything to do with the construction of the tire, the compounds used, and the way all these things interact with the suspension geometry of the vehicle. The car was designed for V rated tires.

I would try to stay with Vs if you can, but if the tire you're interested only has an H rating you're probably okay. Personally I'd never put an H rated tire on the car, but thats just me.

My experiences in moving from V-rated tires to H-rated tires (Michelin V-rated to Dunlop H-rated) have always proven that the H-rated tire delivers longer mileage lifespan, sometimes by as much as 15,000 to 18,000 miles (depending on the tire and the vehicle) assuming that the driver and driving habits remain the same. As SW03ES pointed out, the ride is typically slightly harder, but in my opinion the extended mileage obtained by going to H-rated tires is worth it as long as the all-important rain-handling characteristics remain essentially the same.

• 4 years later...

Update: 5 Years after original post, I just searched for best tire, and dealer recommended Michelin Primacy MXV4 RadialX with either 97H or 97V Speed Rating, doesnt matter which. I bought 5 225/55R17 for wifes 2002 LS430.

Michelin.com website explained Primacy was invented several years ago (3 or 4) for the luxury market as an all wx rain tire. I dont drive in snow, and original poster didnt either. Put your year make model car in Michelin.com search and they will tell you their best tires... they recommended same tire dealer did. Another Poster said, other than tires, biggest factor in Ride Comfort was a 4 wheel allignment every 30K miles. It should go without saying, that if your suspension components are worn, your ride will not feel like a new car: sway bar bushings, lower control arm bushings worn, or uppers, or any other known problem (ball joints) that an inspection can detect. Tire technology continually improves and new tires may have been invented since the last time you bought a pair. Consumer Reports and Digest bothers me because their info is always a year old, and if you take any of their charts to a store to buy stuff, model numbers are newer than what they tested. Its a game manufacturers use, methinks, to stay one step ahead. Grrrrrr.

• 2 years later...

My Michelin primacy mxv4 are the v rated ones with a 60,000 warranty. But they currently have 80,000 miles on them with substantial tread still left. Don't see why I can't get another 15,000 miles out of them. I didn't believe it until I double checked the receipt.

Few things I attribute to this long life

1. Keeping suspension in good order, if its worn out, change it

2. Tire pressure. I always keep the factory recommended psi at 29 all 4 (check on a cold tire). Tire issues, have it fixed quick, leaks etc

3. Rotate and balance every 6,000 miles and ROAD FORCE balance only

4. Yearly alignment or more if issues pop up. Great time to examine suspension.

Even though the tire has and will last as long as most average people keep their car, still thinking of changing to something else when they are ready to go, the wet traction is pathetic, so is snow. But quietness and handling is top notch!