Should I Be Worry About Sludge

MCV20

i had been post this on clublexus, but i want to hear more from ppl..

Should i be worry about sludge will happen or start develop, if i change my oil every 5000km with full-syn oil (mobile1/amsoil). Since my year of es (1997-1998) seen to have the sludge problem. Would sludge happen due to high milage? currenty right now i have about 250 000km

on the click..

or is it worth to have the dealer open the head(for $100) and take a look if i have sludge in my engine(since warranty on the sludge issus still EXIST)

i had been post this on clublexus, but i want to hear more from ppl..

Should i be worry about sludge will happen or start develop, if i change my oil every 5000km with full-syn oil (mobile1/amsoil). Since my year of es (1997-1998) seen to have the sludge problem. Would sludge happen due to high milage? currenty right now i have about 250 000km

on the click..

or is it worth to have the dealer open the head(for $100) and take a look if i have sludge in my engine(since warranty on the sludge issus still EXIST)

My slanted pitch is you have nothing to even worry about. You are doing drains so soon (really to soon) that you should have nothing to worry about.

Sludge is due to oil duration (by heat etc) and the oil you stated are some of the best you can have and resist it the most. Hell I am doing 4X your drains and I do not have anything wrong.

A cheaper way to see if you have sludge is by doing a cheap oil test. Just look at some key areas. If the tests came back bad, then I would have a look at the valves covers etc. If not, you will save $80.

I think you are out of the 8 year deal since you have a 1997 Es.

You don't have to worry if you are the original owner. The owners who have to worry are the ones who bought their cars used without examining the service records to verify if the oil was changed at least every 6 months or 5,000 miles. If not if would be a good idea to pull ONE valve cover for a peak at the valvetrain.

Sludge does not build up in a well maintained Toyota engine.

You don't have to worry if you are the original owner.  The owners who have to worry are the ones who bought their cars used without examining the service records to verify if the oil was changed at least every 6 months or 5,000 miles.  If not if would be a good idea to pull ONE valve cover for a peak at the valvetrain.

Sludge does not build up in a well maintained Toyota engine.

Why is it “every 6 months or 5,000 miles”??? That is not per the manual.

Also sludge can build up in a well maintained engine. All it takes is heat and some cheap oil. If they were so good why did Toyota back down on there drains on the following design?

I like Toyota but they have there problems just like everyone else. All the info I have seen Toyota messed up there design on the 1MZ engine and they can't state it. But they sent out letters and posted comments on their website pretty quick.

It wouldn't be a second thought to me. If you're that worried about it buy some 0, or 10 weight oil & idle it for 10-15 min.

& if you're really anal take the oil pan off & see how much is built up on the pan & oil screen / pick-up.

Did i not mention what to do at the meet on Saturday when i saw you?

The reason the 1mz-fe from 97-2001 has sludge issues is because of it having a higher internal temp for emmision related reasons.

So you can upgrade to a lower temp thermostat and/or just keep up the maintance schedule always using synthetic.

• 2 weeks later...
Did i not mention what to do at the meet on Saturday when i saw you?

The reason the 1mz-fe from 97-2001 has sludge issues is because of it having a higher internal temp for emmision related reasons.

So you can upgrade to a lower temp thermostat and/or just keep up the maintance schedule always using synthetic.

SK, How good is a 'Fail Safe' Thermostat? Any details would be appreciated.

They are available at CT & Partsource stores...here is some more info:

http://www.motoradusa.com/products/failsafethermo/index.html

:cheers:

I only buy cleaning products from CT car parts are usually jut poor quality overall.

The fail-safe thermostat is basically a bypass hole that keeps the coolant always flowing so that it can physically overheat caused by a faulty thermostat.

It is an interesting idea but should be kept to running on taxis, they never need to be warmed up as they never turn off.

They also could get a fare or two more before they seize the engines from overheating.

I only buy cleaning products from CT car parts are usually jut poor quality overall.

The fail-safe thermostat is basically a bypass hole that keeps the coolant always flowing so that it can physically overheat caused by a faulty thermostat.

It is an interesting idea but should be kept to running on taxis, they never need to be warmed up as they never turn off.

They also could get a fare or two more before they seize the engines from overheating.

It's funny you mention you only buy cleaning products from CT......I only buy garbage bags! lmao. :lol: B)

With proper maintenance & such, how long can one expect a thermostat to last roughly? :unsure: They are a fairly in-expensive part......just as a preventitive measure as I am due for a coolant flush at the end of the month. B)

Is sludge still a problem in 2005 and 2006 ES330?

Thanks

Sludge is not a problem in any model year ES if the owner changed the oil at least every 6 months or 5,000 miles. The 2004 on up models have a "maintenance required" warning light that comes on every 5,000 miles.

Thanks

Sludge is not a problem in any model year ES if the owner changed the oil at least every 6 months or 5,000 miles. The 2004 on up models have a "maintenance required" warning light that comes on every 5,000 miles.

Hate to tell you, but a little light you can hold the reset down pretty easy. Just like the MB ones and the GM ones. No such thing as “maintenance required”. I never go by them personally.

Thanks

:blink::blink:

Still doesn't mean the owner changed the oil.

How many cars are out there with the check engine light on or better yet, black electrical tape over them? Little lights don't mean the owner is responsible.

steviej

We can go round-n-round in circles about how, why & if, but it doesn't change the fact that some engines may be sludged up & some may not & it may not have anything, to do with anything as to why.

If you're worried, warm the car up. When it's had 10-15 min to cool & drain take your front head off. Take a flashlight & look down the oil passages. Then you know & then you can start flushing the engine oil by your preffered method to fix it.

This is the "Maintenance Required" service reminder light that the 2004 on up models have http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/es.jpg  It comes on every 6 months or 5,000 miles to alert the driver to change the engine oil or face possible consequences like oil gelling.

still the pix does not mean anything nor was anything done. And I argee with steve and Toysrme.

Also if someone drives over 5K miles and has sludge, it is a poor engine design, you are using the cheapest oil out there or both. The oil used, temps oil sees, etc all play a role and the little "clown/stupid light" does not know or care in Toyota's. I think the best designed one is GM's OLM and it is head over heels over Totoya. It use more variables then Toyota to see when to change the oil. Even that is not 100%

The way I see it, if you want play it safe, do not want to think at all and just do what a light says, then this "little light" will be your next best friend! LOL

I have seen OLM stating to change the oil and I tested the oil, it was fine. Then again I do not use dino oil either. I love the rest buttons on cars! :D

On Toyota's website (toyota.com) there is an Owner Service and Maintenance FAQ and here is what it says about engine sludge:

Question: How do I prevent engine oil gel?

Answer from Toyota: "Performing regular engine oil changes at the recommended intervals as outlined in the Toyota Scheduled Maintenance Guide or Owner's Manual

Supplement will prevent engine oil gel. The recommended engine oil change

intervals for 1997 and newer vehicles can be found on our Service and Maintenance page.

For 1996 model year vehicles and earlier, please refer to your Owner's Manual.

If you need further clarification on engine oil change intervals please contact

the Customer Relations Manager at your local Toyota dealership. The dealership

may also recommend additional or more frequent service,"

So now you want me to take that to the bank on “The recommended engine oil change intervals for 1997 and newer vehicles can be found on our Service and Maintenance page.” Ya right. ..I know what my 98 does with a synthtic and how the oil performs. Throw in a dino, 7,500 miles (per the manual) would be a sludge factory. But ha, that is me since I own one. Even there political letter states I do not need to do this.

I have seen oils (dino) perform worse then mine (with over 2x as long). Too bad those other oils will sludge before mine.

All this from the same company that:

1) “recommends” anything in the world to make them money

2) states, synthetic can’t last longer (oil change intervals)

3) these certain years do not have a sludge problem (but they sent letters out quick and stated on the website in realtime; added a sludge warranty too. But they still say it is not there fault. :chairshot:

4) states, “Once synthetic oil is used, it is best not to switch back to petroleum-based oil.” Little behind the times here in the "Ito" university

5) Or the EGR and TB carbon up easy and they state do not clean it with cleaner in the manual; then they sell a cleaner to clean it. LOL

6) Charge and arm and a leg on there Lexus oil when it is Mobil.

As like I tell everyone at work with out design guidelines/manual, they are a guide that is it.

If you need further clarification on engine oil change intervals please contact

the Customer Relations Manager at your local Toyota dealership. The dealership

may also recommend additional or more frequent service,"

Now THAT is a classic. Lexus (or Toyota) prints something and you want me to ask a dealer something and get a " more frequent service". Gee, who is driving the ship here???