Where to install an MP3 player.. ashtray slot or glovebox?

My quandry:

2000 GS400 with NAV/stereo:

I want to place a DIN sized MP3 player in the dash to connect to the NAV/stereo with a FM modulator.

The spot where the Ashtray is (under the NAV screen, in front of the shifter) looks large enough and deep enough. Is there anything behind this area that would block installation of my MP3 player (6.5 inches deep)??? Could the FM modulator reach the actual hard radio (wherever that may be???)

The CD changer spot looks less desirable for reasons of the air filter/fan, and being out of reach, and having to open the glovebox door to access the player.

Where is the actual radio on the GS400 with NAV? Someone has mentioned it may be in the trunk, but at this point I don't know for certain (I thing the GPS is back there though under the trunk liner...)

Any help or links to online schematics/diagrams would be extremely helpful as well....

Thanks in advance,

Doc Rings

San Diego

• 2 weeks later...

After pulling out the ashtray and its bracket, it looks only about 3 inches deep. The heat/AC ductwork is right behind it as it dives through the center console to the rear vents.

Will probably have to install in the glovebox and use the IR remote to control it with the glovebox door open when fiddling with what to play.

I could also rig up a Sony remote control stalk with a custom wired IC into the RIO serial port, but still have to have the glovebox door open to see what is going on.

Lastly, www.autotoys.com makes a CD changer/AUX input converter to get a AUX input in place of the removed CD changer.

Doc Rings