Cds Stuck In My Nagamichi Stereo

Bill945

10/25/05

Hi Everyone!

I own a 1999 LX470 & I have 3 CDs stuck in my Nakamichi CD player - how do I get them out? Or, how do I get the CD player out so I can maybe replace it? I don't want to damage the faceplate without knowing how to do it right 8^)

The dealer wants to charge me $800 to replace the player/changer and they'll also have to send it back to Lexus in order to get the CDs out!

They said they'll split the cost but I'm pretty ticked because this will be the 5th time in 6 years that we've had to replace the Nakamichi for the SAME problem!

Hmmm, the Nakamichi isn't quite a "premium sound system" or at least not in my case!!!

Thank you for your help!!!!

Bill

Go to Crutchfield.com. You can buy detailed visual instructions for cheap. The instructions will walk you through the process of uninstalling the Nakamichi and re-installing a new stereo. Should save you some dough if you don't mind doing the work yourself.

Rob

Hi Rob!

Thank you for your reply! I just visited their web site and called crutchfield. They said that they don't have the instructions for the 1999 LX470 :( Any other suggestions would also be welcomed!

Sincerely,

Bill

Go to Crutchfield.com.  You can buy detailed visual instructions for cheap.  The instructions will walk you through the process of uninstalling the Nakamichi and re-installing a new stereo.  Should save you some dough if you don't mind doing  the work yourself.

Rob

Hi again Everyone,

I discovered how to remove the Nakamichi CD player from the dash:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/strlexus.htm

Although it cost $2.99 it was well worth it!

Now that I have the CD player out, I'll see if I can get the CDs out or take it to a shop. At least I saved some labor $ by removing the changer myself!

-b

---------------

10/25/05

Hi Everyone!

I own a 1999 LX470 & I have 3 CDs stuck in my Nakamichi CD player - how do I get them out? Or, how do I get the CD player out so I can maybe replace it? I don't want to damage the faceplate without knowing how to do it right 8^)

The dealer wants to charge me $800 to replace the player/changer and they'll also have to send it back to Lexus in order to get the CDs out!

They said they'll split the cost but I'm pretty ticked because this will be the 5th time in 6 years that we've had to replace the Nakamichi for the SAME problem!

Hmmm, the Nakamichi isn't quite a "premium sound system" or at least not in my case!!!

Bill

Done! The CDs are out!

The faceplate popped off very easily & component removal was a cinch - just 4 screws to unscrew and 3 cables to disconnect.

Once I had the unit out the challenge was to pop the stuck CDs. Basically, I had to remove the outer plates to get at the changer. Then I used a flathead screwdriver to easily push the CDs out from the back. The CDs floated through the font slot and reassembly and reinstallation was a breeze!

My next step - never use the Nakamichi CD changer again! I bought an Apple ipod and am now happily playing all my tunes through the stereo system via the ipod's FM broadcasting accessory.

Good luck!

-b :D

-------------------------

Hi again Everyone,

I discovered how to remove the Nakamichi CD player from the dash:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/strlexus.htm

Although it cost $2.99 it was well worth it!

Now that I have the CD player out, I'll see if I can get the CDs out or take it to a shop.  At least I saved some labor $ by removing the changer myself!

-b

---------------

10/25/05

Hi Everyone!

Bill

• 1 month later...

Interesting problem. Happened in my unit once about 3 years ago. It was right after the dealership returned it and their "driver" had the truck for 4 hours running personal errands and it smelled a bit like smoke. Needless to say I reamed them out. They replaced the unit for free and also totally detailed the truck. Surprised to hear that it's a fairly common problem.

• 2 months later...

I ran into this problem with the changer back in July. I was lazy and didnt get around to it till this January but when i heard the number 800 I realized i was done dealing with Lexus for replacement parts. You can get a very nice head unit from Alpine or other companies that far outperform the stock unit and will only run you about 250-400 bucks. Now the challenge I found with this is that Nakamichi makes an unreasonably large unit which creates a bit of an issue when trying to put a standard sized aftermarket unit into the dash. I had to find a guy locally that put a nice fixture in and made it look nice and pretty.

The second problem you may run in to is that the Nakamichi uses a rather awkward amplifier input which may create a problem and i had to replace my amplifier. But in the end I would say its worth it to just buy and new head unit and amplifier that will ulitmately give you better quality and wont eat your CDs.

• 1 month later...

I am on my 3rd replacement from Lexus as 3 Naks failed and all of the cds were stuck and they are currently stuck right now. I need to find a stereo that the ipod plugs in to to replace this nakamichi piee of crap.

Any suggestions?

I am on my 3rd replacement from Lexus as 3 Naks failed and all of the cds were stuck and they are currently stuck right now. I need to find a stereo that the ipod plugs in to to replace this nakamichi piee of crap.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if "US SPEC" make an iPod box (interface) for the LX yet but I got one from Crutchfield for my daughter's Explorer. Basically wires into the stock wire loom, behind the factory stereo (all plugs and wiring included) and leaves you with a wire/plug that you plug your iPod into. You can have the wire/plug come out wherever you need it to be with a little routing. You can then control the iPod from the factory stereo. IMHO, 1000x better than any experience I have had with "wireless" FM units.

We had this problem too.

Lexus replaced the unit and said it was very sensitive to the CDs you burn at home vs. original CDs. They explained there is just enough of a difference between the two, that it made the unit jam.

I'm not sure I buy that explanation :) But it was under warranty, so I really didn't ask to many questions.

It happened to us on a 13-hour drive home from the beach. That was a quite drive!

They had to send the unit back to the manufacturer and they sent us the CDs by mail.