Pennzoil Pz21 Oil Filter

lwlee

I'm planning to change to synthetic Mobil-1 this weekend. I called local JiffyLube and asked what type of filters they had for the RX300. They said Pennzoil PZ-21. Anyone know if this is a good replacement for the stock OEM oil filter?

I'm planning to change to synthetic Mobil-1 this weekend.  I called local JiffyLube and asked what type of filters they had for the RX300.  They said Pennzoil PZ-21.  Anyone know if this is a good replacement for the stock OEM oil filter?

Stay with a toyota filter.

OEM replacement oil filter (Made in Thailand)'s fiber material is paper, not synthetic as was in the original oil filter (made in Japan) that came with the car. Synthetic can catch particles from 10-20 micron while the paper can only filter >20 micron particles.

I would go for Purolator PureOne (leading filter effeciency), K&N (highest flow), or Mobil 1. All of them use synthetic filter material.

Stay away from Jiffy Lube, they use cheap oil filter and recycled bulk oil.

Very informative. So synthetic oil filter are the best, otherwise use the OEM oil filter. I'll buy one and have them install it. As for bulk oil, I called them and they told me they have Mobil-1 synthetic oil. Are you saying the syn oil is recycled or that the recycled oil is their standard dino oil?

I go to them because they're the only ones locally that do a fast job.

OEM replacement oil filter (Made in Thailand)'s fiber material is paper, not synthetic as was in the original oil filter (made in Japan) that came with the car.  Synthetic can catch particles from 10-20 micron while the paper can only filter >20 micron particles.

I would go for Purolator PureOne (leading filter effeciency), K&N (highest flow), or Mobil 1.  All of them use synthetic filter material.

Stay away from Jiffy Lube, they use cheap oil filter and recycled bulk oil.

As long as you are careful with Jiffy Lube they can be OK, i still use them for my Ford trucks, using the synthetic blend from Quaker state that is not bulk oil. There are three owned by the same person near me and two are good and the third location is consistently poor in the quality of work and employees. I would under no circumstances sit in the little waiting room while they work on your rx, rather i insist on watching everything from the oil drain to their fluid level check (or not). If you sit in the room you have no idea if they have done half of what they tell you at the end. Also they tend to inflate the tires to the maximum on the tire rather than what the mfg recommends on the door. Lastly i also check the engine oil dipstick with them during their last look at it because they tend to underfill, and it insures that someone actually put the oil in. I know this sounds paranoid however in the years they have changed my oil they have stripped the drain plug (needed a new oil pan!), put in the wrong oil, drove the truck halfway into the pit with one tire completely in the air ( im not kidding) in addition to the previously mentioned items. Also i never let them do anything but the oil change and lube no matter how hard they try to sell the other services. Just a thot but have you checked for a Toyota dealership nearby that could service your rx quickly? Many dealerships have fast oil change departments.

Yes, I tried calling around but in NYC, there aren't many toyota express lubes. I guess there isn't much money in oil changes.

I've never watched them do the change. Didn't want to offend them. Some people don't like someone watching over their shoulder. But those are some horrific stories. I should know better, there are sites dedicated to JiffyLube woes.

I've tried RS Strauss and some gas station for oil changes. Service is way too slow. I'll watch them this time, tell them I want to learn how things are done.

FYI, JiffyLube doesn't carry synthetic oil filter but they will use the one I bring in.

Just a thot but have you checked for a Toyota dealership nearby that could service your rx quickly? Many dealerships have fast oil change departments.

Your absolute best option for simple maintenance such as oil and filter changes is to learn to perform them yourself. You will always take better care of your vehicle than anyone else, and you will always ensure that the intended task is completed exactly as desired. And think of the money you'll save....

Here is a link that studied Honda and Toyota OEM and aftermarket oil filters and reports some findings. Although filter design is different from model to model, sometimes even outsource to different manufacturer from model to model, you can tell the quality and design difference between brands. IMHO, you stay with OEM because it 100% complies with design spec (e.g. bypass oil pressure). But Toyota replacement filter's design and material used is not on the same level as the one that came with the car. Here is a picture of both Toyota oil filters side by side, take a look at the external design and quality of rubber seal used. If you care about what goes into your car, research and decide yourself. Some say Lexus of Carson carries Japanese Made oil filter, but I have not tried yet.

Oil_Filter.bmp

Try doing this with my Accord. The time and hassle was just not worth it. Plus the grime!

If it was a simple unscrew and replace, I would do it. Unfortunately, the oil filter is a hassle to get to.

Your absolute best option for simple maintenance such as oil and filter changes is to learn to perform them yourself.  You will always take better care of your vehicle than anyone else, and you will always ensure that the intended task is completed exactly as desired.  And think of the money you'll save....

I have an Acura TL, which is based on Accord platform. Takes me 30 minutes from clean to clean, which is less than the time I would spend on Acura's waiting room. A pair of Latex glove, an oil filter wrench, shop towls, and a oil pan is all I need. Same driving distance to Acura dealer as to Pepboys to drop off used oil and filter. The same holds true for my RX300, just $20 for 4 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic oil and Purolator Pure One with synthetic filter material. $20 will get you dyno oil and OEM oil filter with paper filter material.

BTW, do you know Honda's OEM filter made in Canada, which is outsourced to FRAM, has paper end caps?

heres a link to a site that did testing a few differend brand name oil filters. Read and make your own opinion

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

That link is outdated, they have a new updated study

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

For example, since the old review, Bosch/STP changed their design, perhaps to save $, the new design does not have a functional bypass valve. Ever wonder why Autozone has done "Free STP Oil Filter" promo twice so far this year?

Synthetic can catch particles from 10-20 micron while the paper can only filter >20 micron particles. I would go for Purolator PureOne

What detectable engine wear benefit will a Lexus RX or ES owner gain by purchasing a Purolator PureOne oil filter over a Toyota 08922-02011 filter? I've been using the Toyota 08922-02011 for 467,000 miles and my '92 Toyota 4 cyl engine still performs like new with like new engine compression readings. So what detectable engine wear benefit would the Purolator PureOne have given me?

Here are some negative aspects of the Purolator PureOne compared to the Toyota 08922-02011:

1. Purolator PureOne costs $5.99 at retail stores like Pep Boys. Toyota 08922-02011 is $3.89 from 1sttoyotaparts.com

2. PureOne PureOne lacks certain heavy duty construction and thoughful accident prevention features of the Toyota 08922-02011. Features like these:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/fbrick.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/ftread.jpg

Toyota is currently phasing out the Toyota 08922-02011 and using the Denso 90915-YZZD1 in its place. I have complete confidence in the Denso 90915-YZZD1 based on the sterling track record of Toyota and Denso parts.

If there is no benefit using synthetic filter material, why would Lexus use it as in the OEM filter that came with the car? The oil filter on the RX300 is mounted high and behind the front exhaust manifold, it is difficult for a skillful person to reach around by twisting one hand, I don't see how a big rock can travel straight up and avoid all that exhaust plumbing, underbody splash guard, and hit the filter square on to damage it.

Talk about gasket sticking to the engine, PureOne's gasket is Teflon coated and is grabbed by claws. The OEM filter made in Thailand (YZZD1) don't have these features but ones made in Japan do.

I don't see how a big rock can travel straight up and avoid all that exhaust plumbing, underbody splash guard, and hit the filter square on to damage it. Talk about gasket sticking to the engine, PureOne's gasket is Teflon coated and is grabbed by claws.  The OEM filter made in Thailand (YZZD1) don't have these feature but ones made in Japan do.

All Toyota oil filters have an extra thick and heavy filter shell regardless if they were made in Japan, Thailand or the USA. I presume this feature is intended to build in an extra margin of safety against bursting during demanding driving conditions that create high oil pressures. I know from reading Motorhome and Trailer Life magazines that there have been some incidents (involving aftermarket filters) of filter shell breaches during demanding hill climbs that resulted in sudden catastrophic loss of motor oil and engine destruction.

The PureOne's gasket is not tightly secured to the filter so you can easily pluck the PureOne's gasket right out of the filter using your bare fingers and stick it to the side

of any metal or glass surface. It will cling real good to a verticle surface that's oily despite being teflon coated. But you can't pluck the Toyota filters O-ring style gasket out using your fingers and even if you use a tool to pluck it out you can't make it stick to any verticle surface even if it is thickly coated with oil. All Toyota oil filters have had this feature going back 30+ years regardless if they were made in Japan, Thailand or the USA. I feel the many "oil filter study" type websites on the Internet actually dumb the public down by neglecting to tell them about the special features of Asian car OEM oil filters. However, I am not surprized since the people who author "oil filter study" websites don't work for the Asian automakers.

Those who perform indepedent oil filter studies should NOT work for any automaker to avoid conflict of interests. I could not believe you are suggesting someone who is on Toyota's payroll to evaluate Toyota's products? :chairshot:

I don't promote either OEM or aftermarket, just list facts. If you read above links that supposed to "dumb" readers, they have excellent reviews on Japanese made OEM oil filters and give reasons why. Intelligent consumers tend to ask "why" just like lwlee did when dcfish recommends "Toyota". I am sure given all facts, not just ones biased toward Toyota, they will make right choices.

heres a link to a site that did testing a few differend brand name oil filters. Read and make your own opinion

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

Hi: I have to put my two grains of salt in the thread. I love for the most part the K & N filters, because you can leave them in for double the time of a regular filter, they also cost double the price. They are designed for racing so they have to be better with the flow and keeping the pressure, that in my opinion is very useful in the early starts of your car/truck. Second the OEM filters are good quality filters if you can find them at a good price, they are made to operate at the factory parameters of the vehicle, the K is to perform even at a higher standard. If you are going to change oil at 3,000 miles, you could use even a cheap filter as long as it complies with the oem specs. If you care about your car, like most of us do as I read in another post, the Purulator filters are good filters, the OEM and the K's are great, also one that is not mentioned here is the Fram brand, one of the best filters around and even the AC Delco Gm filters if you find one that crosses to your Lex are great filters also, so are the Motorcraft Ford ones. Remember the Japanese learned most about this things from Ford and Gm, many of the features in my Lexus LS, I had in my Mercoury Cougar XR7 1987, which by the way is still running with some corrosion. So the Japanese have great desings that last longer than many of the domestic but they are not the pioneers in the oil filtering technologies, like Purulator is. All of the filters mentioned in my post are good, the Penzoil one never tried them so I will not opine about them. Lucas oil stabilizer is a great product add on to your oil, and so is Prolong.

C. PR

I'm planning to change to synthetic Mobil-1 this weekend.  I called local JiffyLube and asked what type of filters they had for the RX300.  They said Pennzoil PZ-21.  Anyone know if this is a good replacement for the stock OEM oil filter?

Stay with a toyota filter.

Again, Use a OEM filter and follow reccomended changes. Done.

Well monach you win, I am going to do something JUST FOR YOU.

NOTE: this is not a personal attack just something I want to do to maybe close some open items here.

I am going to lower my drains from around 12,000 miles on my ES300 to 7,500 miles. I am going to run my oil (synthetic, thank you) and use a glass & cellulose media filter and run 7,500 miles, then oil test. Then I am going to run the same type/brand of oil and run a Toyota filter and then test.

Does that sound good?

I am not going to use the new 25,000 mile oil filters (on my next drain) since I am sure you would be all over that.