Differences In 03, 04 & 05

DEEPstang

I am a Katrina vicitim, and i need to buy a vehicle in the next few weeks. I am hesitant to go with the gx470 b/c of gas mileage. I know in 2005 the toyota version of variable timing came into play. I think officially, the mpg are different among the years.

Also, i really want a dark grey or black interior. Can i get that in 03. Let me ask a better question....are there any disadvatages going with an 03 compared to a 04 or 05?? THANK!

I am a Katrina vicitim, and i need to buy a vehicle in the next few weeks.  I am hesitant to go with the gx470 b/c of gas mileage.  I know in 2005 the toyota version of variable timing came into play.  I think officially, the mpg are different among the years. 

Also, i really want a dark grey or black interior.  Can i get that in 03.  Let me ask a better question....are there any disadvatages going with an 03 compared to a 04 or 05?? THANK!

go to lexus.com and look under certified pre-owned for model library for details on each year model. good luck

The fuel milage did not change with the GX when they went with VVT i for the 2005 model year. They did raise the compression ratio though, so you may not have the option of using regular grade gasoline with the 2005, as you have with the 2004.

Also, i really want a dark grey or black interior.  Can i get that in 03.  Let me ask a better question....are there any disadvatages going with an 03 compared to a 04 or 05?? THANK!

They did make improvemenst to the vehicle as production went along..for example, they added the rear camera half way through the 2004 model year to vehicles equiped with the nav system. They also added full power adjustments for the front passenger seat in late 2004 production.

The fuel milage did not change with the GX when they went with VVT i for the 2005 model year. They did raise the compression ratio though, so you may not have the option of using regular grade gasoline with the 2005, as you have with the 2004.

Fuel mileage on the 05 GX went up to 19 highway from 18 mpg and you still can use 87 octane if you like. Also the big improvement is the VVT-i which adds 35hp and 10 lb. ft. of torque to the engine which you would notice right away.

Fuel mileage on the 05 GX went up to 19 highway from 18 mpg and you still can use 87 octane if you like. Also the big improvement is the VVT-i which adds 35hp and 10 lb. ft. of torque to the engine which you would notice right away.

My 2004 had milage ratings of 15 city, 19 highway.

post-13057-1130383897_thumb.jpgpost-13057-1130383897_thumb.jpg

The front passenger seat on the 05-06 is still only a 4 way adjustable seat. Still kind of cheap, especially for Lexus.

My late build 2004 had the added buttton on the side of the passenger seat, so that the controls match the drivers seat. Does yours have that?

post-13057-1130383897_thumb.jpgpost-13057-1130383897_thumb.jpg
The front passenger seat on the 05-06 is still only a 4 way adjustable seat. Still kind of cheap, especially for Lexus.

My late build 2004 had the added buttton on the side of the passenger seat, so that the controls match the drivers seat. Does yours have that?

Yes, my late build 05 is the same way. I guess with the lumbar adjustment, its considered a 6 way power seat. I still think it should match the 10 way power drivers seat.

Every 03-04 GX I've ever seen was rated 15 city and 18 highway. Even dealers that have them on the lot as used state the mpg as 15/18. Maybe you got a fluke?

Every 03-04 GX I've ever seen was rated 15 city and 18 highway. Even dealers that have them on the lot as used state the mpg as 15/18. Maybe you got a fluke?

I don't think so..all of the 04's that I saw on the dealers lot when I was shopping all showed 15-19 on their window stickers, and the 04 Consumer Reports buyers guide showed the GX as 15-19 as well. I never looked at 03's though, they may have been different.

I don't think so..all of the 04's that I saw on the dealers lot when I was shopping all showed 15-19 on their window stickers, and the 04 Consumer Reports buyers guide showed the GX as 15-19 as well. I never looked at 03's though, they may have been different.

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_detail/gx/470/2004.html

Go to the bottom under performance. 2nd line says 15/18. Lexus ought to know.

Very odd...Maybe they made a change sometime during the 2004 production. Here is a scan of the window sticker from my 2004 GX, clearly showing the milage as 15 -19. All of the ones I looked at while I was picking mine out and waiting for it to arrive, showed 15-19 on their window stickers.

post-13057-1130660631_thumb.jpg

I wasn't doubting you so you didn't have to go to the trouble of showing the window sticker. I've also seen an 04 sticker that says 15/18. I guess only Lexus knows why the variation. But it is strange.

I see that the Tow Hitch w/Ball Mount is listed as an option from the factory. I wonder if there is any difference from the 6500 lb. tow hitch that a Lexus dealer would install?

Very odd...Maybe they made a change sometime during the 2004 production. Here is a scan of the window sticker from my 2004 GX, clearly showing the milage as 15 -19. All of the ones I looked at while I was picking mine out and waiting for it to arrive, showed 15-19 on their window stickers.

well mine said 15/18. does it really matter that much??? i was getting around 20 mpg highway the last time i took a 400 mile trip. ;)

[

well mine said 15/18. does it really matter that much??? i was getting around 20 mpg highway the last time i took a 400 mile trip. ;)

Yea..it's not a big deal, I just wonder what Lexus did during the 2004 production run to increase the highway milage rating by one mpg.