Install An Aftermarket Navigation In 04 Es330

THe toyota/lexus nav that I have in my car is by far the BEST nav system I have ever used. I have a dvd based one in my mercedes, tried tomtom, garmin, acura, etc. The toyota is so detailed. It uses POI data from INFOUSA which is probably the largest database for points of interest. Also, one dvd covers the entire USA. The lexus/toyota nav is made by Eclipse Fujitsu 10. All the plugs on the rear of both the Eclipse unit and the Toyota unit are the same but function differently. I have added a Eclipse rear view camera to my unit as well which is plug and play. Also added the voice control system, which has too many comands to list here and actually not very accurate when voicing comands. THe unit is a 6.5" widescreen unit which can be adapted to display video on screen as well with the proper adapter. I have the factory XM tuner installed as well. The unit is pretty much plug and play except for 3 wires. I am not sure how the newer es cars are wired but here is what you will need:

Get a newer Nav system WITHOUT the GRAY BUTTON ON THE LEFT LOWER SIDE

These units support the SAT radio feature and some of the units with the GRAY button require a external DVD rom drive for the map cd. The newer units are ALL IN ONE.

You will REQUIRE a GPS antenna as well which uses the HIROSE connector which are used on most alpine, eclipse, and pioneer nav units.

The power connector should be a direct fit

The audio connector should be a direct fit on 2002 and newer cars.

You can add a ECLIPSE BEC-104 Rear view camera at this time as well. It's plug and play.

You can add a XM Tuner unit as well and that's plug and play as well.

You will require to obtain 3 wires and tap them into the 5 pin connector on the rear of the nav. the connector may or may not be included with your nav unit. I am not sure on the position of the wires but you need to tap in to pins 1, 3, 5. They are used for speed signal, parking brake, and reverse wire. THe speed signal is REQUIRED to tell the nav unit how fast you are going. The reverse wire is not absolutely necessary but will tell the nav unit when in reverse so it's a bit more accurate. Also, this wire IS required when using a reverse camera. The parking brake wire is only required when this unit is used with a rear entertainment package. I have not found any other use for it.

Most of the accessories are plugged into the DATA BUS port. Accessories such as the tuner or cd changer.

2002 and newer ES cars will also require a new dash trim panel.

sunman,

I am quite interested in doing this for my 2000 es300, however I remember reading in one of your posts that you cannot use the factory cd player. Do you know why this is? Also I was wondering what the dimensions of the toyota nav is so I can see if the wood trim on the factory radio can be cut to fit the toyota nav. I guess my only other question is where did you end up putting the nav antenna?

You cannot use the factory changer as it interfaces differently. It is NOT compatable. I chucked it out and installed a dvd player in the glovebox and overhead display. The sound is hooked to the nav unit with a special adapter. Basically a hardwired aux input. I mounted the nav antenna in the rear under the shelf behind the rear seat. I did not want any visible wires or antennas in the car. I have used the car like this for abour 40,000 miles with no problems. My sat radio antenna is also mounted in the same place.

You cannot use the factory changer as it interfaces differently.  It is NOT compatable.  I chucked it out and installed a dvd player in the glovebox and overhead display.  The sound is hooked to the nav unit with a special adapter.  Basically a hardwired aux input.  I mounted the nav antenna in the rear under the shelf behind the rear seat.  I did not want any visible wires or antennas in the car.  I have used the car like this for abour 40,000 miles with no problems.  My sat radio antenna is also mounted in the same place.

Thanks for the response sunman. This might be a dumb question but does your dvd player play cds as well? Where did you order the navigation system, oemvalue and what model dvd player did you get?? Would you also happen to know if the factory amp will plug straight into the nav or will I need to get the amp that works specifically with the nav?

The dvd player plays cds, mp3's, and movies. I have the audio wired to the nav unit and the video wired to a screen in the back. You can get the nav from Troy at OEMVALUE. Get a camry nav unit. You can use your factory pioneer amp but you will have a small noise problem which I could not tolerate. I then switched to a JBL factory toyota amp with harness which you can get from Troy as well. It comes with harness. The only thing you will have to do is wire the speakers to the amp. Search various toyota forums for help. Especially the sienna forums. I have a blaupunkt mE3 player custom installed in the glovebox. I removed the JBL amp and installed a Xtant amp in the trunk later.

The dvd player plays cds, mp3's, and movies.  I have the audio wired to the nav unit and the video wired to a screen in the back.  You can get the nav from Troy at OEMVALUE.  Get a camry nav unit.  You can use your factory pioneer amp but you will have a small noise problem which I could not tolerate.  I then switched to a JBL factory toyota amp with harness which you can get from Troy as well.  It comes with harness.  The only thing you will have to do is wire the speakers to the amp.  Search various toyota forums for help.  Especially the sienna forums.  I have a blaupunkt mE3 player custom installed in the glovebox.  I removed the JBL amp and installed a Xtant amp in the trunk later.

Thanks for the info. I think I might give this a shot as soon as they get some more units in stock at oemvalue. This will give me time to figure out what to do about the trim around the navigation unit. I would like it to match the wood trim that is currently on the radio. Does anybody know where I can get a solid piece of that stuff and then just cut it down to size?

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting a 2006 camry navigation unit. Last night I hooked it up temporarily to see if everything works but I am having a problem. The gps is working but I am not getting any sound. There are no voice prompts, no sound from radio, and no sound from cd. Can anybody help?

Sunman,

Did you have to swap any wires on the 20 pin connector?

Well, it looks like your amp is not getting power probably. Since you have a 2000 ES with pioneer Amp, how did you power it up? Your car should not have a 20pin connector already as far as I know. I initially installed the pioneer amp with the nav but was not happy with the sound so I got the original JBL amp and used it instead. Sounds much better. The nav unit does NOT have any power for the speakers. They are all line level outputs with a common ground for all 4 channels.

Well, it looks like your amp is not getting power probably.  Since you have a 2000 ES with pioneer Amp, how did you power it up?  Your car should not have a 20pin connector already as far as I know.  I initially installed the pioneer amp with the nav but was not happy with the sound so I got the original JBL amp and used it instead.  Sounds much better.  The nav unit does NOT have any power for the speakers.  They are all line level outputs with a common ground for all 4 channels.

My car does have a 20 pin connector and it hooked right up. I went through the wiring diagram for my car and the nav unit and all pins match up. I have attached the wiring diagram for my radio.

059rap.pdf

• 9 years later...