Remove Steering Wheel

douglasmiami

I posted here recently about a squeaking steering wheel. I've taken to Lexus three times and they keep lubricating the steering wheel, but that apparently isn't the problem. Has anyone ever removed the steering wheel before? If I try this, is there anything to look out for, such as airbag deployment, etc. I assume that I would have to take off airbag cover / unit to access bolts that hold steering wheel on? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I posted here recently about a squeaking steering wheel.  I've taken to Lexus three times and they keep lubricating the steering wheel, but that apparently isn't the problem.  Has anyone ever removed the steering wheel before?  If I try this, is there anything to look out for, such as airbag deployment, etc.  I assume that I would have to take off airbag cover / unit to access bolts that hold steering wheel on?  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

My advice is not to try to do it yourself, I don't want to offend, but if you had to ask then you're probably not qualified to do the work.

The air bag is very expensive and you would not want to mess that up. But there are procedures for removing air bag and preceeding. Just removing the plastic covers is tedious.

It is rather simple and not much to worry about .

To remove the wheel disconnect the battery for atleast 10 minutes.You will lose all memory radio and time settings.

This will discharge the SRS system, it only needs about 1 minute but i would rather wait longer.

You will need to remove the side flaps to get to the torx screws at each side. This will loosen the airbag ,after that you have to attach a steering wheel puller to pop off the wheel which is flanged incase the nut falls off.

Just disconnect when you are done ,that is it.

• Like 1