Just Replaced My Oem Hood Shocks

widowmaker03

Bought OEM hood struts from Sewell Lexus (www.lexus-parts.com) and just swapped out old for new. What a breeze.

Just did a site search and followed directions. It took 20 minutes to do and that including photos of the entire process.

Thanks guys. :cheers:

No modifications at all

That is the price for a pair not each , so about $25 a side

Not sure of a part number .

It basically uses new ball pivots so you can easily replace the struts without a wrench next time.All you have to do is undo the nutsthat hold the pivots then replace them with a ball end which snaps into the new shocks with a clip.

So it goes from a 20 minute install to a 3 minute one next time. As we all know there is always going to be a next time.

• 1 year later...

drill down to Body- Exterior

Lift Support

looks like they don't have it for 98.

thanks.

changed mine couple days ago through autozoe #c95029( $19.99 each ).

RCRFAN got it only ( $15 ), i guess the autozoe in IL is cheaper than NJ ( $19.99 ).

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a set from abcmarts off Ebay. Unfortunately the quality seems poor. I took them to a local garage to have them installed for me. [i'm a klutz and wanted to be absolutely safe.] Well, I watched the guy install them and when he did, the first one was ok. But the second one's bolt (or screw) BROKE off as he was tightening the nut (the lower part of the shock that connects to the car body). He wasn't exerting undue force and it all seemed very normal. It's obvious that the quality of the metal for the screw parts is vastly different between the generic and the original.

Abcmarts denies that there's any defect and will only send me a new screw. Now we have to fish the screw out of the car body and still replace the hood shock.

So, buyer beware. Next time I'll learn my lesson and only buy the real thing -- either from Lexus or Toyota. I'd rather use a Camry shock and have it wear out more quickly than use a generic again. If I were to use a generic, the Mighty Lift/Autozone idea with the ball from the original also sounds good. However I didn't try that since the Autozone website listed it as being out of stock. :angry:

• 2 months later...

AC Delco is also a source. Part # 510965

Rockauto.com is listing for about $25.

Do you know if these come with new ball joints?

I replaced mine with stronarms

cost $50 shipped to my door.

Where'd you get those from, SK?

• 9 months later...

This company was the perfect match for my hood supports on my 96 LS400, lift supports bolted right on, no modifications like many other posts mention, the hood opens up all the way, again a problem with other replacements (to short... hood misses last few inches of opening). They were $45.00 for the pair including shipping, took ten minutes (in 22 degree weather) to install. My hood actually lifts open by itself when I open it about the first 1/3 of the way up, and when I bring it down again, I can let it go about 1 1/2 feet above latch and it drops in place perfectly! The supports measured out to exactly the same length (20.46 inches extended) as OEM and the quality is excellent. Made by Strongarm. Seriously great company offering a complete list of replacements. If they are as good as what I got for my 1996 LS400 hood lifts supports, I bet they are good for what you need! Just go to the site and enter year/make/model etc... it offers measurements, and they matched mine OEM perfectly. Any way, do not mean to rave on, but this company was awesome for me, and saved me mega $$$$ vs. $98 a piece from LEXUS!!!.

LiftSupportsDepot.com