Dynamic Laser Cruise Control

austinite

Has anyone had any success in protecting the laser module with lexan? On a more gearhead note does anyone know what kind of laser it uses or the wavelength? I would love to know just so I could try and make an educated decision to pick a protector that would not absorb much energy.

Any other ideas?

At $2,000 a crack there is some incentive here.

Funny I was wondering about this as well.

I'm assuming it uses a red laser. I know that some Toyotas (I believe the Sienna) also have the same system. The sensor only a part of the replacement cost--taking apart the whole facia is also why its so much.

I had considered fashioning a temporary opaque cover that could be used to protect the laser in case of rough roads but the cruise control doesn't seem to work at all without it. I would think that the protective cover would have to be right next to the front of the sensor to keep from creating reflections, etc. The sensor would probably have to be moved slightly rearward to accomodate it.

I believe that's one of the reasons that later models with the PCS use milimeter radar; the sensor is mounted higher up behind a plastic cover (which encases the big L logo); also the cover can be optically damaged but the radar can see through it.

• 2 years later...

Yes, I had a piece installed when I had my fog lights put in. Cruise still works perfectly and it makes you feel better knowing it is protected. I have had lights busted by stones quite frequently here on Michigan roads and it was only a matter of time before that expensive baby was going to be hit.

Here is a picture of it.

post-55064-1220992741_thumb.jpg