No Mark Levinson On Is350

Maybe listen to the stereo that comes already in the car before you decide. Also, if you punch in different zip codes on the Lexus site, you'll see that different options packages are offered in different parts of the country. Me, all I care about is the way the car handles and the way it responds when you punch the go pedal. Is350 does the job for me.

I've just spent the last several days at a local Lexus dealership and put a deposit down today.

Here's exactly what I was told:

1. You can get the ML sound system but you have to order and it's at least $1K extra. Ordering takes about 3 months but you're going to have to wait for the car you want anyway. They are selling very fast.

2. The car is pre-wired for XM & Sirius but you have to buy a separate receiver that is about $400 through the dealer. This is for either the standard sound system or ML. I imagine you can buy the receiver elsewhere for about $100.

3. The first batches of cars are also not shipping with what they call the Luxury package, which adds to the Premium Package: power tilt & telescoping steering column (standard is manual t&t), memory seats, illuminated scuff plates, rear window powershade, HID adaptive lights, rain-sensing wipers. Again, this can be ordered, but it's about $2K more.

4. The are selling these cars at sticker price, even to repeat customers like yours truly. You can see the sticker if you 'builid your own' at Lexus.com.

5. I drove a 350 and it absolutely ripped... Very, very fast but also incredibly quiet and refined. I was impressed.

Hope that helps. I learned a lot the last few days.

BTW, that Matador Red is a sharp color in person. Same color that is on the new GS. Gorgeous in the sunshine.

However, you can only get the black or tan interior unless you special order. I looked at all three interior colors and strongly preferred the gray (sterling as Lexus calls it). All the interiors have the same black dash and upper door trim but surprisingly the gray has black carpet, too.

I've just spent the last several days at a local Lexus dealership and put a deposit down today.

Here's exactly what I was told:

1. You can get the ML sound system but you have to order and it's at least $1K extra.  Ordering takes about 3 months but you're going to have to wait for the car you want anyway.  They are selling very fast.

2. The car is pre-wired for XM & Sirius but you have to buy a separate receiver that is about $400 through the dealer.  This is for either the standard sound system or ML.  I imagine you can buy the receiver elsewhere for about $100.

3. The first batches of cars are also not shipping with what they call the Luxury package, which adds to the Premium Package:  power tilt & telescoping steering column (standard is manual t&t), memory seats, illuminated scuff plates, rear window powershade, HID adaptive lights, rain-sensing wipers.  Again, this can be ordered, but it's about $2K more.

4. The are selling these cars at sticker price, even to repeat customers like yours truly.  You can see the sticker if you 'builid your own' at Lexus.com.

5. I drove a 350 and it absolutely ripped...  Very, very fast but also incredibly quiet and refined.  I was impressed.

Hope that helps.  I learned a lot the last few days.

I drove an IS 350 on monday at the local dealer with the sport package and power tilt and telescoping wheel was present.

Fuggedabout about the ML and go listen to the stock stereo.  Sure the ML sounds better but it only has 1 more speaker than the much better than before stock system.

If you gotta have it looks like you'll be waiting.  Oh well, more for everyone else.

The ML audio system is a 7.1 system with DTS, DVD Audio and CD audio capability if my information is correct. It would be a great benefit in terms of sound quality to be able to play DTS and DVD Audio discs in such a quiet car as the IS350.

ive been in is350's with the mark levinson and ones w/o, they sound about the same. i wouldnt be disappointed if the is350 you want doesnt have it because its not worth paying the extra money when they all sound as good

Did you bring your own CDs to test out the two systems?

Not sure if any of you are audiophiles with your home stereo, but the Mark Levinson sound system is one of only 2 (the other is the Acura sound system in the TL and RL) available car stereos with DVD-Audio playback and 5.1 dolby digital surround sound. If I may, let me explain DVD-Audio (I've been a stereo repair technician and home/car installer for about 8 years):

DVD-A is different from the DVD as you have all known about for the last 10 years. DVD-A is first off NOT a video disc.... it may have some special features, but it's only designed as an audio discs. It is true 5 sepparate channels (the .1 being the sub woofer) of audio instead of the standard stereo (2 channels). DVD-A discs also use a much higher sampling rate (96khz versus the 44.1khz sampling rate of a standard 2 channel compact disc). Since the information on the disc is in a unique softare language, only players designed for DVD-Audio specific discs can decode them (a DVD-Audio player can decode standard movie DVDs as well, but a standard movie DVD player CANNOT decode DVD-Audio discs).

My home theater system has a DVD-Audio player, and I have two great all time classic albums in DVD-A: Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery. It is well worth the price to get the added bennefit if you are in to high end audio, but if not, you will not notice much of a difference between the base sound system and the Mark Levinson if you only play standard 2 channel compact discs.

I hope this clears things up for you all. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Not sure if any of you are audiophiles with your home stereo, but the Mark Levinson sound system is one of only 2 (the other is the Acura sound system in the TL and RL) available car stereos with DVD-Audio playback and 5.1 dolby digital surround sound.  If I may, let me explain DVD-Audio (I've been a stereo repair technician and home/car installer for about 8 years):

DVD-A is different from the DVD as you have all known about for the last 10 years.  DVD-A is first off NOT a video disc.... it may have some special features, but it's only designed as an audio discs.  It is true 5 sepparate channels (the .1 being the sub woofer) of audio instead of the standard stereo (2 channels).  DVD-A discs also use a much higher sampling rate (96khz versus the 44.1khz sampling rate of a standard 2 channel compact disc).  Since the information on the disc is in a unique softare language, only players designed for DVD-Audio specific discs can decode them (a DVD-Audio player can decode standard movie DVDs as well, but a standard movie DVD player CANNOT decode DVD-Audio discs). 

My home theater system has a DVD-Audio player, and I have two great all time classic albums in DVD-A: Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery.  It is well worth the price to get the added bennefit if you are in to high end audio, but if not, you will not notice much of a difference between the base sound system and the Mark Levinson if you only play standard 2 channel compact discs.

I hope this clears things up for you all.  If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well since were on the audio part of the IS which w/ 13 speakers sounds great. My mom has the 05' ES330 w/ premium sound system, it has 7 speakers, mark levinson system w/ the lil 8 inch. sub. It sounds great, very clear and crisp, however does not provide the amount of bass I want! However, In my 94' ES I have the nakamichi premium sound system, it was nice but those speakers have been blown out, I have installed nice aftermarket speakers, plus a $150 amp, and my 12 inch sub and it blasts. Its just as clear as the mark levinson system and the bass hits the low tones perfectly and you can feel it throughout the car + around my car :). Im hoping I wont have to add much to the IS system once I get it in May, I think I will get the standard sound system and update it myself w/ cheaper and what I think is better aftermarket speakers/subs. Just my two cents...

Well since were on the audio part of the IS which w/ 13 speakers sounds great.  My mom has the 05' ES330 w/ premium sound system, it has 7 speakers, mark levinson system w/ the lil 8 inch. sub.  It  sounds great, very clear and crisp, however does not provide the amount of bass I want!  However, In my 94' ES I have the nakamichi premium sound system, it was nice but those speakers have been blown out, I have installed nice aftermarket speakers, plus a $150 amp, and my 12 inch sub and it blasts.  Its just as clear as the mark levinson system and the bass hits the low tones perfectly and you can feel it throughout the car + around my car :).    Im hoping I wont have to add much to the IS system once I get it in May, I think I will get the standard sound system and update it myself w/ cheaper and what I think is better aftermarket speakers/subs.  Just my two cents...

I would agree with you if you don't have the desire to play DVD-Audio discs. Neither the base or the MLS sound packages pack the kind of power you can get from an aftermarket system. But then again, nothing does. Factory systems in general cannot compete with an aftermarket system you can put togther piece by piece simply because of size and power. The amp in even the MLS system in integrated into the sound processor, and the whole box is no more than the size of a loaf of bread. It doesn't have a high current power line, either. So, when you purchase aftermarket amps and the right speakers and wire it up with high current electrical wiring and fuses, you will have a much more powerfull system than any factory system (standard or optional) can possibly have.

As of right now, the only aftermarket manufacturer of a DVD-Audio compatible player is Alpine.

I would only buy the MLS system if I specifically wanted DVD-Audio compatability (which, in my case, I do.... and I will certainly put an aftermarket amplifier system with better speakers in it :) )

what ever happened to SACD (super audio cd) is that what you were talkin about..because ive got a denon SACD/DVD player..isnt that a similar concept?

The only trait SACD and DVD-Audio have in common is that they both offer multi-channel surround sound capabilities. Beyond that, they are as different as apples and oranges. SACD uses a different software technology, thus a player designed for SACD (such as your Denon) must be used. The Mark Levinson sound system cannot decode SACD.

SACD, to some audiophiles (myself included) acutally sounds more natural like old vinyl. Since it has an extremely high sampling rate (higher than DVD-A), the sound is less compressed and more rich. I have 2 albums on SACD as well (Boston's debut album and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon)..... both sound fantastic, much MUCH better than their compact disc counterparts.

DVD video is a feature of ML I'd like to have as well. I'm thinking I'll put a good mini-series, like Band of Brothers or something in the DVD changer to watch while I'm waiting for people, or getting an oil change or whatever. That's certainly not a great reason to wait 3 months, but it sure puts the cherry on the sundae. :D

I'm getting my ML-equipped 350 at the end of November, BTW. I got really lucky.

DVD video is a feature of ML I'd like to have as well.  I'm thinking I'll put a good mini-series, like Band of Brothers or something in the DVD changer to watch while I'm waiting for people, or getting an oil change or whatever.  That's certainly not a great reason to wait 3 months, but it sure puts the cherry on the sundae.  :D

I'm getting my ML-equipped 350 at the end of November, BTW.  I got really lucky.

I just spoke with the Lexus dealer here in Kansas City, Missouri. He said that they sold the first 350 that they had with the ML radio to someone in California because the CA person said that they could not get the 350 with a ML radio there.

Interesting.

To answer your question about the Mark Levinson, it is available with the Mark Levinson Stereo when equipped with the navigation system.  I work in sales for a lexus dealer and just attended the New IS Ride and Drive yesterday, the 350 is a great drive.  Hope that helps you out.

That's not what I was told by 2 different dealers as of Oct 22nd.

:rolleyes: before you knock the premium sound system that comes stock with the vehicle i recommend you listen to it first. I do however agree that the mark lev. stereo should be an available option. I think that Lexus is trying to keep the price as low as possible. there are a hand full of options that are available that are not being built into the vehicle right now, such as a sun shade in the rear, parking sensors, dynamic lasor cruise control. if Lexus did build a vehicle full loaded with all the equipment possible it would msrp around $47K, and i don't see anyone buying an entry level vehicle for almost $50k OTD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Took delivery of a Tungsten Pearl IS350 last week...every option except the sports package. As far as the ML Audio goes I'm happy with the high and midrange response...bass is a little muddy but not too bad if you shift the balance to the rear a smidge. I think there are 14 speakers.

I guess I'm going to have to invest in some DVD-A discs.

• 2 weeks later...

My car is being delivered in a couple of days, and it has the ML / Nav upgrade. I never heard of the ML not being available as an upgrade. What I did hear, and it's true, is that the 350 itself is hard to get in certain markets, like Chicago.

That's pretty much the picture that has been painted.  I've had a deposit down on this vehicle for a real long time and am pretty grumpy about this.  I have done so much research that I have found that I know more about the vehicle than any dealer and Lexus customer service.  That is a very sad state of affairs.

After thinking about it, and considering the specs between the ML and standard sound systems, I'm dead-set against taking delivery without ML.  Depending on how long that takes, I may have to look elsewhere.

I was told it could take 90 days to get the vehicle I want.  I would never have considered this as a potential issue when spending over $40,000 for a vehicle.

Oh, and by the way, the dealer will tell you - "Mark Levinson is a $2,000 upgrade and doesn't sound that much better anyway."  I would LOVE to hear that come out of their mouths when the ML option is available.