My God Jim Where Are We?

jainla

I finally did it.

After a year of hemming and hawing, and almost three months of hard core shopping, I adopted a silver '01 LS430 on tuesday. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions over the last 2 months. I'm finally one of the gang!

Now I have some questions re: two little items I have found that I want to fix:

the telescoping motor on the steering column isn't working. Fortunately it seems to be almost all the way out, but I'd like to get this fixed in case someone else has to drive the car. Dealer says it will cost about $600 to fix. This seems high.

Also I have noticed a small horizontal line on the nav screen. It's hardly noticable during the day but when the screen switches to night mode I can see it. It's near the top of the screen-honestly I thought it was part of the design until I left the office and the screen went dark for the evening. Can I replace just the touchscreen? Or will I have to replace the whole unit (in that case I can live with it). The car turned 4 in March so sadly we're out of warranty.

Other than those two small issues the car is perfect. I had a dealer do the CPO inspection on the car and no other issues were uncovered. It has about 64k miles so I guess some things go eventually.

I got snarled in one of LA's notorious traffic jams this morning, but strangely enough I just turned up the stereo, opened the sunroof, and a smile crept up onto my face....

More updates as I pile on more miles. -J

"...Dealer says it will cost about $600 to fix. This seems high...."

Hahaha, everything at the dealer will seem high, even some of the staff! Is the motor making any sounds like it's wanting to pull the wheel back, or is it just dead, no signs of life? If it's completely dead, I would think fuse would be the first place I would look. If the previous owner had any kids, they might of played with the moving wheel and burnt out the fuse. The touchscreen I have no clue about. But my gut instinct is saying to just accept the line as it will probably be very expensive to replace. Although you never know on this site. These guys ARE Lexus! Live it, eat it, breathe it and modify it.

If I were you, I wouldn't get maintenance on the car @ the dealer. Overpricing is one thing but where I live they do a lousy job.

Local auto shop would something you have to look into, I am sure there are guys here from LA who would help you out.

Congratulations on your purchase, and post pics if you can. :)

:cheers:

send me a pm with the vin#.I can get the Date of First Use The warranty goes by Date of First Use not prduction. It depends when the dealer reported the sale. Secondly it may be an issue he asked to check when it had warranty which means they should cover it now. And last you still have a powertrain warranty so its got some coverage for 6/70 . Good Luck

The motor doesn't move when I hit the switch, it's dead.

I didn't think to test any of the memory positions, if one of them moves the wheel maybe the switch is dead? I'll investigate tonight, the tilt and tilt away work fine.

I will check the fuse, nc211-- I didn't even think of that.

lexus411-- the dealer told me first use was sometime in March of 01, so I'm about 6 months too late. BUT--he did tell me the car was in for a 'groaning' noise in the steering column. He printed it out so I'll have to check but if it was the adjustment maybe they will cover it. Good thinking.

See, this is why the LOC rules....

Thanks guys, I'll put some pix up when I can...

:D

yeah i agree on the extended warranty issue. you'll be getting close to a strut rod bushing going out and stuff. Suspension issues "creaks and squeeks" usually tend to show up around 100k. Not always, but more so than not.

If it was a complaint and never fixed then you may have a leg to stand on.

I would also see if you can extend the warr as you can get everything possible fixed easily for less over time.