Replacement Wiper Blade Question

Hello everyone:

I recall a discussion about replacement blades for the lexus and an opinion that the OEM blade inserts was superior to off brand inserts. Note: I only need the insert, not the entire wiper blade assembly. I have tried to locate this topic but being perhaps a year ago it may be archived.

Many sites claim to have OEM lexus blades but I cannot locate the OEM brand and lexus/toyota never appeared on a search.

I own a 1998 GS400. What am I looking for? Bosch?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a great day.

Slate

Hello everyone:

I recall a discussion about replacement blades for the lexus and an opinion that the OEM blade inserts was superior to off brand inserts. Note: I only need the insert, not the entire wiper blade assembly. I have tried to locate this topic but being perhaps a year ago it may be archived.

Many sites claim to have OEM lexus blades but I cannot locate the OEM brand and lexus/toyota never appeared on a search.

I own a 1998 GS400. What am I looking for? Bosch?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a great day.

Slate

slate67, I always replace the whole wiper assy. I have used OEM and Bosch for as often as I replace my wipers I go with the Bosch. If I am not mistaken they are 19 in. and 21 in.

You can get the wiper inserts from Lexus' parts department for about $10 for both and tehy are teflon coated as well.

Better than anyother ones i have used and cheaper as well.

You can also go to a Toyota dealer and get the refills for about half (just did this). Don't go by just length as the cross sections differ. Just take off the insert and go to the Toyota dealer and compare. Make sure not to lose the metal strips. I believe the OEMs do last longer. I have also bought after market wiper blade assemblies but more and more, you cannot buy refills for them. I guess they can't make enough money by selling the $3 refills.

I've tried just about every wiper blade on the market from Bosch to Valeos like they use on BMWs, and the best blades by far are Lexus. The Toyota blades are definately different.

I've tried just about every wiper blade on the market from Bosch to Valeos like they use on BMWs, and the best blades by far are Lexus. The Toyota blades are definately different.

so the "toyota" blades have a different part number? obviously every Lexus part comes in a Toyota package.

Thanks everyone:

I dove in and contacted the Lexus dealer in St. Louis (aprox 2 hours away). I spoke with the parts guy Wednesday afternoon. Wiper inserts for both driver and passengar side totaled $21. I had him ship via UPS thinking it would be 5 days and $8 bucks.

I came home from work yesterday and there was a Toyota box on my porch with the inserts inside. A plus: the parts guy included a Lexus Key fob thing (Gold with Lexus laser ground into the surface). So, I am going to try to tackle the insert replacement tonight. I have done it on my Toyota Sienna van's blades so I hope it is similar.

Thanks for all the feedback. BTW, the parts guy at Lexus didn't know what was on the lexus inserts. He said it could be graphite but had not heard Teflon mentioned in any of his communications but admitted e did not know. He said whatever it was it left a film on your fingers after installing and he felt it coated the windshield to make the blades more friction-free.

Have a great day.

Slate

• 3 years later...
The Lexus blades and the Toyota ones are different.

Lexus has a Teflon coating the Toyota ones don't

So Steve, is it best to go in and ask for just new inserts, or replace the whole blade? I assume that it is easy to replace yourself eitherway.

My problem is that I have always had a thin film of water that is left briefly when the wipers sweep. I think that this has always been there, but seems to be getting worse. Not sure if replacing the blades is even the best thing to do or not.

Boston Snowboarder

05 ES330

So Steve, is it best to go in and ask for just new inserts, or replace the whole blade? I assume that it is easy to replace yourself eitherway.

My problem is that I have always had a thin film of water that is left briefly when the wipers sweep. I think that this has always been there, but seems to be getting worse. Not sure if replacing the blades is even the best thing to do or not.

Boston Snowboarder

05 ES330

just change the whole thing

• 2 weeks later...

Boston Snowboarder

05 ES330

Get the inserts only from your local Lexus dealer. It takes literally one minute per side to change them. There is no reason whatsoever to buy the entire blade assembly when it is the rubber insert that touches the windshield, and therefore the part that wears out over time.