Now Entering Lexusland

romemusic

i'm a new member as of today. wanted to say "whatup?" and sound you out on the oft-posted pre-'95 v '95 debates. tomorrow i'm looking at a '94 ls 400 that reportedly is in superb condition w/88k miles. the owner says no problems except for an "amplifier" in the dashboard that causes delay in instrument panel lighting up when it's cold. sounds more like a capacitor to me. also, i'm not sure the timing belt has yet been replaced. what's a dealer likely to charge for this? lastly, does anyone have any comment on air suspension as opposed to standard? were any of the issues if identified dealt with in the '95 model? thanks in advance.

i'm a new member as of today.  wanted to say "whatup?" and sound you out on the oft-posted pre-'95 v '95 debates.  tomorrow i'm looking at a '94 ls 400 that reportedly is in superb condition w/88k miles.  the owner says no problems except for an "amplifier" in the dashboard that causes delay in instrument panel lighting up when it's cold.  sounds more like a capacitor to me.  also, i'm not sure the timing belt has yet been replaced.  what's a dealer likely to charge for this?  lastly, does anyone have any comment on air suspension as opposed to standard?  were any of the issues if identified dealt with in the '95 model?  thanks in advance.

As a new member I advise you to search these forums extensively, You will find all the answers to all of your questions. These forums have more to offer than you will ever need. Welcome aboard :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Hey dude I have a 93 (replica of the 94) with a bit over 90k. I paid 7k for the LS and I love it!

The dash has issues and it is capacitors.. The timing belt was not changed, but the 93 and I think 94 have the indifferential motor.. This means belt can break (should not happen till 130k) and the car will stall with no other damage. Another common issue is a leaking power steering pump.

Some things I suggest are new tint (30/15), wheels and lights (clear tail and bumper).

If you get a good deal buy the LS. You will love every second, hopefully half as much as I love mine!

Do a search on your questions like DC suggests. Those topics are some of the main topics. Quick answers however are:

Dash lights = look at the "sticky" on the top of the forum index for blacked out needles. You need Jim Walker's help.

Timing Belt = This also includes your water pump. If you go dealership, you're looking at probably $1,500 - $2,000. If you indi mechanic route, probably $700-$1,000.

Air suspension = don't even fool with it. It's a nice feature and those who have it love it..until it breaks...and they ALL break at some point. Most people will convert the car over to normal suspension parts once the air shocks fail to save money. $50 for a normal strut or a few hundred for an air strut. It was mentioned to me at my dealership that it's typically around $1,000 per wheel to replace air suspension. Of course that's dealership rates, and there are guys here who know a better and cheaper route to take. But in my honest opinion, I wouldn't mess with it.

i'm a new member as of today.  wanted to say "whatup?" and sound you out on the oft-posted pre-'95 v '95 debates.  tomorrow i'm looking at a '94 ls 400 that reportedly is in superb condition w/88k miles.  the owner says no problems except for an "amplifier" in the dashboard that causes delay in instrument panel lighting up when it's cold.  sounds more like a capacitor to me.  also, i'm not sure the timing belt has yet been replaced.  what's a dealer likely to charge for this?  lastly, does anyone have any comment on air suspension as opposed to standard?  were any of the issues if identified dealt with in the '95 model?  thanks in advance.