Your Level Of Repair Skills

SKperformance

How much of the work can you do yourself  

164 members have voted

1. 1. How much of the work can you do yourself

• everything ,I am a technician(college trained)
    • everything I am a mechanic (self taught)
    • everything below plus complete tear downs and rebuilds
    • everything below plus timing belts and water pumps
    • everything below plus electrical wiring troubleshooting
    • everything below plus minor repairs troubleshooting
    • everything below plus spark plugs ,brakes and fluid changes
    • oil changes
    • none ,someone else does my work

• 1 month later...

I am an ex U.S. Navy engineman (Diesel Mechanic) & my father was an ordinary mechanic so I grew up turnig wrenches from abt age 5 on.

I have now got stuck though on a 1991 Lexus LS 400. I was changing a water pump on this LS400 & I have a part unknown as to where I got it off the V8 engine or what it does. My best description is it looks about like an orange juice can only smaller diameter abt 1-1/4" diameter and abt 6" long with a pointed stem in the bottom sticking down abt 1/8" diameter & 1/2" sticking out. It has 2 threaded screws at the base to secure it to engine abt #10 metric wrench size any ideas? I admit I am stumped & cant locate where it goes. Any help would be appreciated jerrysr@ comcast.netqq

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

18 months of 7hr day school training, handful of expired and current ASE, Mecp mobile electronics certified -or was-, GM trained in certain sub-systems, 8yrs as lead tech for local garage, handful of months at a dealership (so damn crooked, took a 75% pay cut to leave!!).

Ive done everything from muckin about with the Vanos timing setup on BMW's, chasing down that pesky fan controller on dodge vans, rewiring/rerouting engine harnesses, rebuilding transmissions, beating the hell out of ball-joints and suspensions, rebuilding engines from nasty gritty block up. Ive worn out 2 alignment machines (corded and the new wireless..o boy), diagnosing numerous engine problems that span EVERY DAMN CAR you could imagine, welding brake brackets back to smooth, retapping bolt holes, resoldering the random circuit board, and torching metals until they succomb to my wrench. I don't let anyone work on any of my personal cars, not even to change the oil. NONE of my cars has gone to the crusher because i COULDNT fix it. I know this town, and am aware of the majority of technical skill being currently sold to the public here. Lets just say I dont like the odds. I used to actauly LIKE working on cars. If you like messing with cars, Dont work for a shop!! Did I mention I do all this 45hrs a week for currently less than $20,000 a year? Not complaining it was an informed decision..... MONEY ONLY BUYS THE ILLUSSION OF HAPPINESS.... (oh, and lotsa cool stuff too)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do everything myself , if i am not sure about mechanical issues i do some research and have at it . I went to a vo-tech high school and have been a auto body tech for 28 years. A.S.E and i-car certified.

• 1 month later...

I've been a gear head for over 50 years, have a degree in electrical engineering and have done 3 total ground up restorations on 3 classic corvettes by myself all of which have won many awards. I love the challenge of fixing cars and only as a last resort, will I send the car out for service..