1991 Ls 400 Instrument Panel

mrdiego

Steve2006,

Thank you for posting that bit of info about the '91-'92. Can you let us know whether the C6 Capacitor is the only one for the '91-'92 model years? My dash lights and Needle lights began blinking, then go out completely, and I want to fix them all in one shot (hate having to deal with those pesky connectors at the back!).

Thanks for your help

C6 is the only one located in the backlight invertor area, I have seen this particular capacitor with a bulging shell indicating overheating/high ESR.

No guarantees it will fix the problem but worth replacing to see for a few cents, just make sure you buy a branded make with a 105 degree rating.

• 3 weeks later...

New Member, 93 LS400. No display on dash and of course, always running out of fuel. Followed the directions in previous posts, although I have never soldered a damn thing in my life. Success! Lights and an accurate fuel gauge, all for under $20. Thank You.

• 3 years later...

Hello

I haverá Lexus Ls 400 year 1991 and I Live in Brasil.

I am triyng to find out  tô locate C147 and 142 caps no my 91 Ls 400

the C212 I allready found out to be the C6

can anyoune help me.

tanks

• 4 years later...

So I have not seen any info on the location and specific capacitors needed to repair an intermittant black screen 1991 Lexus LS 400 instrument cluster. Can someone please help????? There is plenty of info on '93 to '94 LS400, but nothing on the '90 to '92 LS400. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On 8/14/2017 at 12:08 PM, Riet said:

Hello

I haverá Lexus Ls 400 year 1991 and I Live in Brasil.

I am triyng to find out  tô locate C147 and 142 caps no my 91 Ls 400

the C212 I allready found out to be the C6

can anyoune help me.

tanks

I know it's been awile but did you ever figure out if your '91 LS400 needed any other capacitors on the instrument cluster circuit board. Did replacing the C6 capacitor work for you?? Thanks, Terry

Are you sure it's a capacitor issue or just assuming due to symptoms?

Sometimes it best to send the cluster out to have it repaired.  Just an example:

https://lexusinstrumentclusterrepair.com/

I have not had work done by this individual (he IS in CA) but I have used other similar services.  You can do a search for him here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000-183/

On 10/4/2006 at 4:57 AM, bigo said:

I tried to download the attachment, but could not, can you Email it to me??

Thanks Jerry

I also tried to download this file but it is empty. Can you email it to me?

Still trying to find the location and type of capacitors needed to repair an intermittant blacked out instrument cluster. I just ordered a replacement C6 capacitor.. Are ther any other capacitors I shou;d replace. I have a '91 LS400. Thanks, Teekster

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2005 at 11:48 AM, ROYT said:

I just did this repair on my '94 LS

I got the info from this site some time ago and saved it.

I think the original post was by Cole Carter.

You have to change three capacitors, it's not too hard a job if you can solder

small parts successfully. The originals are v. small surface mount and you have to be careful not to pull the track up from the board.

All the info is on your site and it works perfect. B)

Cost of parts US about 2 dollars max.

I can not locate the info from the "B" person. would you happen to still have it? I have a 98 ls 400 with same issue intermittent functionality including radio,a/c. thanks

On 9/29/2005 at 12:25 PM, nc211 said:

One of the most common problems on your model series. Do a search and you will find tons of postings relating to this problem. Also, at the top of the page, look at the "sticky" about the instrument needles. Sounds like you need Jim Walker's help.

Is this also related to the same issue the center console that operates the navigation the AC and the radio I'm having a intermittent blackout problem is this the same as discussed here?

No.  I had to send my LCD climate control and clock display to some guy on the east coast.  This was about 10 years ago. I had to remove the control unit from the dash and maiil it to him.  I can't find the name of the guy who replaced the LCD panel but it has been working fine while my dash was black.

On 5/3/2014 at 5:57 PM, fsuguy said:

Steve2006,

Thank you for posting that bit of info about the '91-'92. Can you let us know whether the C6 Capacitor is the only one for the '91-'92 model years? My dash lights and Needle lights began blinking, then go out completely, and I want to fix them all in one shot (hate having to deal with those pesky connectors at the back!).

Thanks for your help

I replaced the C6 (220ufx25V) 

C24 (820 ufx25V), and C25 (820ufx25V). All 3 are brown QAS capacitors which apparently are prone to leaking.  All 3 are located on the small power board mounted on top of the larger board.  It is right underneath the metal cover.  Very easy to get to remove since you have to get to the back of the board to remove the capacitors. I used a mechanical de-soldering suction plunger tool (probably on Amazon).  Apply a dab of flux to the pins, apply soldering pencil heat, and suck out the excess solder from the back of the pin to expose the tiny holes that the capacitors attach to.  Also, bend the existing pins to a vertical position, so they can pull straight out from the top of the board.  Failure to do that may rip the tiny metallic connector imbedded at the connection point.  MY INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CAME BACK TO LIFE AFTER REPLACING THE 3 CAPACITORS with black, electrolytic capacitors with the same values.  Hope that helps

• Like 1