Dvd Bypass Is Finally Here! For 2006 Gs

If you have ML, your car can play DVD.

To get the DVD hack, 3 wire cuts and 2 connections are necessary, and if you install a switch, you can also do the navi override.

If you don't have ML, your car can't play DVD.

However, the bypass hack will give you the ability to dial out from BT while in-motion and browse MP3 folders. You only need to cute 2 wires and make one connection.

This applies to both 06 and 07; however, one of the wires is different between the 2 years.

Great! Do you know which wires are different?

• 3 weeks later...
What is the bybass procedure for 2006 GS430. I don't see where anyone specifically says what to do. Please advise.

The bypass feature for the 06 GS430 is the same. To get the navi system to work while driving do:

1. Hit menu

2. Hit Volume

3. Touch the top left corner

4. Touch the bottom left corner

5. Touch the top left corner

6. Touch the bottom left corner

7. Then hold the override button until its highligted.

Hope this works lemme know. That was thanks to i believe 06GS430 a number of posts before me.

I just got a GS350 with Nav. Do I have the DVD on this also. I am not sure.

Thanks

The GS350 should have the DVD feature if you have a Mark Levinson Sound System. If you do not then you just have a regular Lexus Premium Sound System which is a Pioneer system with Bose speakers I believe.

Hope that answered your question.

• 2 weeks later...

2 things...did you ever find someone to perform the dvd bypass mod in florida? I live in orlando and Im just trying to see if theres anyone around here that can do it. Also, I put in a dvd, the changer says that it reads it, but I no movie ever pops up. The option where it says "picture" stays gray and inactive. Is there something else I need to be doing? Please someone help...

I just did the DVD bypass with complete success. It took me about an hour to do all together. The hardest part I found was stripping the little wires on the plugs on the back of Nav unit that are being cut to do the bypass. And you have to tug pretty good to get the Nav unit out of the dash. A big thanks goes out to Freddy for confirming that I need to give the Nav unit a good yank to get it out. I was initially afraid that something was going to break if I pulled to hard like the A/C vents. Thanks a million to blue06gs for posting the directions and especially the pictures, they were essential to the success.

I've only done a test drive around my neighborhood but from what I've seen I love and highly recommend. If anyone in the south Florida area needs help give me a shout at jeffchambers at mtgsi dot com.

I would be curious about the DVD bypass as well for a 2007 GS.

I have a 2007 GSh and the navigation "temporary" bypass does not work (it's been removed from the new Navigation discs). Based on posts here and here, it is possible to create a new Nav DVD that brings back the override function. Thus far I've been about 90% successful -- can now enter Nav instructions on the fly, but the touch screen has become really sluggish ((<5 sec delay between press and action). I'm guessing it doesn't like the brand of DVD I used, so am going to try a different one...

The brand I use is Verbatim DVD+R DL 100% success rate

Me again

(see post 167)

I have this DVD bypass installed.

At first it worked great but recently it does not play the sound on the dvd, I only get video. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

This has been haunting me for months now.

It happened months ago, but then it started working again (I posted that I had fixed it). However, now, it's acting up again. Actually, it's been acting up since a few days after I thought I had it fixed.

SO does anyone have any idea whats going on, or shall I rephrase that.. does anyone else have this problem?

I get the picture but no sound. And no sound from CDs either. It's terrible!

Sometimes I'll get sound for a day or two, and then it goes bad again. As if it has a mind of it's own.

Please help!

I did this mod about 7 months ago on my 06 gs430 and it is the most amazing thing ever. Recently though, it has stopped playing some of my dvds that before played flawlessly, any tips?

I did this mod about 7 months ago on my 06 gs430 and it is the most amazing thing ever. Recently though, it has stopped playing some of my dvds that before played flawlessly, any tips?

Same problem here - I get video but no sound. What do you get?

And my CDs won't play sound either. But FM and AM work fine.

What's the skinny with yours?

Same problem here - I get video but no sound. What do you get?

And my CDs won't play sound either. But FM and AM work fine.

What's the skinny with yours?

It just won't read some of my DVDs, the ones that do work it plays fine, and it plays CDs fine also.

• 2 weeks later...

Does this work on 07' GS 350 as well? Or has anyone tried it on the 07' GS models? Thanks :unsure:

You will need a small flat head screw driver, a phillip head screw driver, a 10mm socket and a towel to protect the navigation unit.

First, remove the plastic trim underneath the nav( just right above the ashtray) by pry it out with a small flat head screw driver.

Hint: Tape the screw driver with Scotch tape to protect the finish of the trim.

post-18508-1128388127_thumb.jpg

Second, put the shifter into "D" position. DO NOT START THE CAR. Just press the start buttom twice( foot of brake pedal at this time) and put the shifter to " D" or you can remove the shift lock tab and press the buttom, so you can move the shifter to " D"

Unscrew the shifter and pry up on the center console.

post-18508-1128388153_thumb.jpg

Third, remove the phillip head screw on each side of the side cover and the pry out.

post-18508-1128388179_thumb.jpg

Gently remove both covers.

post-18508-1128388210_thumb.jpg

After that you will see 4 10mm bolts( 2 on each side). Remove those bolts from the nav screen bracket and remove the nav unit.

If you look under the nav unit you will find a piece of metal bracket on each side to grab onto and pull it out. Do not pry on the side of the Nav unit or try to remove the AC vent.

post-18508-1128388229_thumb.jpg

One more.

Oh, the AC vent is part of the dash. If you attemt ot remove it... you will have yourself a new dash.

post-18508-1128388250_thumb.jpg

***************ACTUAL WIRE CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS

There are three white plugs going into the monitor. We will not touch the middle one.

On the far left, closest to driver's side, is 26-pin plug K46.

On the far right, closest to passenger side, is 32-pin plug h1.

On K46, pin # 14 is purple. It is the VSS wire coming in from the BCM to the monitor. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

On K46, pin # 23 is yellow. It is the Parking Brake wire that tells the monitor if the parking brake is engaged. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

On h1, pin # 13 is pink. It is the VSS wire that leads out to the navigation unit. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

The monitor side of the purple wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

The wireloom side of the yellow wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

The monitor side of the pink wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

Use a ring terminal and an 18 awg wire to connect the monitor side of the yellow wire to chassis ground. There's plenty of grounding locations available along the side, where the monitor mounts. Screw or bolt it in securely w/o interfering w/mounting area.

Use butt connectors or tape and solder an 18 awg wire to connect the wireloom side of the purple wire to the wireloom side of the pink wire. You are effectively re-routing the VSS signal directly into the navigation.

Reinstall the monitor and you are finished

Top down view of back of nav

post-18508-1128388264_thumb.jpg

closet to driver side

post-18508-1128388272_thumb.jpg

closet to passenger side

post-18508-1128388279_thumb.jpg

BTW: I did not come up with this mod. I just happened to find it on another Lexus forum. So do it at your own risk! I did it on mine and everything is fine.

Just an update. I just did this mod today to my bros GS 300 (2006) and it works Great! I do get video and sound, hopefully it doesn't go out on him...

The only thing I would complain about doing this is that there wasn't much room to operate with the wires and the wires are very thin! Otherwise, took like an hour and 15 minutes cuz I took my sweet time not to mess anything up..

Just an update. I just did this mod today to my bros GS 300 (2006) and it works Great! I do get video and sound, hopefully it doesn't go out on him...

The only thing I would complain about doing this is that there wasn't much room to operate with the wires and the wires are very thin! Otherwise, took like an hour and 15 minutes cuz I took my sweet time not to mess anything up..

Congrats, enjoy!

btw, that's commendable of you to go through all 13 pages of the thread before cutting wires ;)

Congrats, enjoy!

btw, that's commendable of you to go through all 13 pages of the thread before cutting wires ;)

Thanks! This is a good community! I will be sticking around here as long as my bro owns his Lexus..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thats my only concern, ive read alot of people who have done it successfully, but throughout the thread theres a bunch of little complaints here and there , maybe they are related to the bypass, maybe not, but it seems like it would be easy to screw it up by connecting a wire improperly or leaving a loose wire.

Not to mention the fact on how this affects the warranty coverage.

i havent ruled out doing it completely yet, but still hestitant with tinkering with an expensive car

Yes just make sure your leads are all long enough to make your connections.

If your hesitant, why not pull the radio out, take a look around, and if your not comfortable with cutting the wires, put it back together and think about it some more.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the detailed instructions.  I followed them step by step and have had good results.  The only problem that I have had is that I am still not able to use my Nav system while driving (I can still use it while stopped).  I can play DVDs, dial with the onscreen phone, but no Nav use.  What is the most likely mistake?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you haven't made any mistakes. the navigation override doesn't work. just the dvd and the on screen phone works. for navigation inputs, you have to disable it manually. check up earlier in posts. i put up a video of how to do it. its a few buttons u push on ur screen that lets you bypass the navi lock. heres the link to the video...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ost&id=3320

hope this helps

I have a 07 GS350. I have tried what your showing in your video above but it doesn't work. Does anyone know how to do it on an 07 GS350?

Thanks.

Rick

Thanks for the detailed instructions.  I followed them step by step and have had good results.  The only problem that I have had is that I am still not able to use my Nav system while driving (I can still use it while stopped).  I can play DVDs, dial with the onscreen phone, but no Nav use.  What is the most likely mistake?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you haven't made any mistakes. the navigation override doesn't work. just the dvd and the on screen phone works. for navigation inputs, you have to disable it manually. check up earlier in posts. i put up a video of how to do it. its a few buttons u push on ur screen that lets you bypass the navi lock. heres the link to the video...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ost&id=3320

hope this helps

I have a 07 GS350. I have tried what your showing in your video above but it doesn't work. Does anyone know how to do it on an 07 GS350?

Thanks.

Rick

nav override depends on what version of the nav dvd you have. several how to's in this thread on how to burn your own dvd version. override works on v 5.1 but not on 6.1. there was some misinformation at the beginning of the thread that implied that the wire cut override would address the nav safety features too. it doesn't. if you have nav dvd 6.1 you need to burn a combo dvd that has the 6.1 maps but the 5.1 load file which allows the override. several links to explore. here's one http://toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173730