Dvd Bypass Is Finally Here! For 2006 Gs

I must say, i was VERY hesitant to do this...I played it very safe and it took me about 1.5 hrs to complete this. So far, everything is working as planned...I can play a dvd and dial on-screen while in motion.

I did face a few hurdles while doing this:

1. be careful not to scratch the center "wood" console when removing it. I had to use some force on the passenger side while removing this.

2. After you have removed the bolts on each side, I had a bit of a hard time pulling out the whole nav unit. Once again, I had to carefully apply some force to each side to pull it out.

3. Cutting wires: be very careful when doing this. I especially had an issue with the pink wire...be sure to leave enough space for errors.

I live in the Los Angeles area and am willing to come out and help you out if you are nearby. I can show you that it works in my car, and will charge about $150 to do it again for someone else.

aim: viper1613

• 2 weeks later...
You will need a small flat head screw driver, a phillip head screw driver, a 10mm socket and a towel to protect the navigation unit.

First, remove the plastic trim underneath the nav( just right above the ashtray) by pry it out with a small flat head screw driver.

Hint: Tape the screw driver with Scotch tape to protect the finish of the trim.

post-18508-1128388127_thumb.jpg

Second, put the shifter into "D" position. DO NOT START THE CAR. Just press the start buttom twice( foot of brake pedal at this time) and put the shifter to " D" or you can remove the shift lock tab and press the buttom, so you can move the shifter to " D"

Unscrew the shifter and pry up on the center console.

post-18508-1128388153_thumb.jpg

Third, remove the phillip head screw on each side of the side cover and the pry out.

post-18508-1128388179_thumb.jpg

Gently remove both covers.

post-18508-1128388210_thumb.jpg

After that you will see 4 10mm bolts( 2 on each side). Remove those bolts from the nav screen bracket and remove the nav unit.

If you look under the nav unit you will find a piece of metal bracket on each side to grab onto and pull it out. Do not pry on the side of the Nav unit or try to remove the AC vent.

post-18508-1128388229_thumb.jpg

One more.

Oh, the AC vent is part of the dash. If you attemt ot remove it... you will have yourself a new dash.

post-18508-1128388250_thumb.jpg

***************ACTUAL WIRE CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS

There are three white plugs going into the monitor. We will not touch the middle one.

On the far left, closest to driver's side, is 26-pin plug K46.

On the far right, closest to passenger side, is 32-pin plug h1.

On K46, pin # 14 is purple. It is the VSS wire coming in from the BCM to the monitor. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

On K46, pin # 23 is yellow. It is the Parking Brake wire that tells the monitor if the parking brake is engaged. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

On h1, pin # 13 is pink. It is the VSS wire that leads out to the navigation unit. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

The monitor side of the purple wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

The wireloom side of the yellow wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

The monitor side of the pink wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

Use a ring terminal and an 18 awg wire to connect the monitor side of the yellow wire to chassis ground. There's plenty of grounding locations available along the side, where the monitor mounts. Screw or bolt it in securely w/o interfering w/mounting area.

Use butt connectors or tape and solder an 18 awg wire to connect the wireloom side of the purple wire to the wireloom side of the pink wire. You are effectively re-routing the VSS signal directly into the navigation.

Reinstall the monitor and you are finished

Top down view of back of nav

post-18508-1128388264_thumb.jpg

closet to driver side

post-18508-1128388272_thumb.jpg

closet to passenger side

post-18508-1128388279_thumb.jpg

I did not really understand the: Use a ring terminal and an 18 awg wire to connect the monitor side of the yellow wire to chassis ground. There's plenty of grounding locations available along the side, where the monitor mounts. Screw or bolt it in securely w/o interfering w/mounting area.

Use butt connectors or tape and solder an 18 awg wire to connect the wireloom side of the purple wire to the wireloom side of the pink wire. You are effectively re-routing the VSS signal directly into the navigation.

Is there picture of what this rewiring looks like. Can you explain it more to me before I do this mod on my GS 430.

BTW: I did not come up with this mod. I just happened to find it on another Lexus forum. So do it at your own risk! I did it on mine and everything is fine.

I did not really understand the: Use a ring terminal and an 18 awg wire to connect the monitor side of the yellow wire to chassis ground. There's plenty of grounding locations available along the side, where the monitor mounts. Screw or bolt it in securely w/o interfering w/mounting area.

Is there picture of what this rewiring looks like. Can you explain it more to me before I do this mod on my GS 430.

06gs430....did you ever get an answer on if the yellow wire needed to be cut and re-grounded since since it was already a ground wire? I just got the DICE Ipod kit and am planning to install it and do the DVD Bybass at the same time since I have the Navi system out. Let me know either way. Thanks.

I know some of the folks at Hendrick Lexus have the bypass on their own vehicles.  Also, I have heard Freeman's has done bypass on some cars.  I will call them on Friday.

Jason

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

let me know what you find out. I'm thinking of doing over the weekend. It look fairly simple. I just hate cutting on a $50K car, know what i mean.

you can email me at moss@carolina.rr.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

soldering is preferred because it makes for a better connection. For me it was easy because ive got one of those Cold Heat Soldering thingamajiggies, but twist and capping shoulnd't be a problem. as far as grounding goes. there aren't many options. you can loop through an opening or drill into your frame somehwere. i dont really see why a ground is necessary though. the yellow wire that is cut is the one that is grounded, so what was the original purpose of cutting that wire? why not just leave it intact? perhaps its a factory ground? my friend just got hired at Toyota, and since the navigation is virtually identical to the Prius, he's gonna fish around when he gets the chance and let me know. i'll keep you guys posted. i have a feeling leaving the yellow wire intact will take away the need for grounding as well as save a little bit of time.

Hey 06gs430....just to jog your memory, this was what I was responding to. I hope you got an answer. I don't want to cut additional wires if I don't have to. Thanks

It DOES work on 2007 GS 350. However, if you have also have the rear camera option when backing up then you WON'T have a PINK wire...instead it is BLACK. DO NOT CUT THE BLACK WIRE OR YOU WILL LOSE YOUR CAMERA. I'm going to splice the BLACK wire back together tomorrow and expect it to work fine.

Does anyone know how to bypass the GPS LOCKOUTon a 2007 GS 350? This is one of the most ANNOYING :chairshot: features of I have ever experienced. No other auto mfg imposes this inconvenience on their customers. I have the v6.1 system and the sequence of Menu / Volume / Upper Left / Lower Left / Upper Left / Lower Left / Override does NOT work.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

jdh30350

• 2 weeks later...
It DOES work on 2007 GS 350. However, if you have also have the rear camera option when backing up then you WON'T have a PINK wire...instead it is BLACK. DO NOT CUT THE BLACK WIRE OR YOU WILL LOSE YOUR CAMERA. I'm going to splice the BLACK wire back together tomorrow and expect it to work fine.

Does anyone know how to bypass the GPS LOCKOUTon a 2007 GS 350? This is one of the most ANNOYING :chairshot: features of I have ever experienced. No other auto mfg imposes this inconvenience on their customers. I have the v6.1 system and the sequence of Menu / Volume / Upper Left / Lower Left / Upper Left / Lower Left / Override does NOT work.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

jdh30350

best option is to burn a hybrid dvd yourself (or have a friend do it) that has the 6.1 maps but uses the 5.1 load file which allows the override. follow this link and you can download the 5.1 load file you need. you'll of course need to take the map files from the dvd you have and create the hybrid.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173730

Hi Greg00,

I have gs 350 2007 as well. Does that mean you just connect the purple wire to the black without cutting the black wire?

l found a ebay seller ( Ebay ID: cappetta72 ) is selling your bypass and sell it for $25, l know you try pretty hard and post it online for free, but that guy just download your stuff and sell it for $25, should we do something to him, or report it to Ebay!

Although I dont recommend watching dvds while driving, its definately nice to have if you have kids or even to entertain your friends, girlfriend, wife, etc...

Its an easy fix that you can do yourself (I did it on my car in about 2 hours and that was going slow to ensure that I didn't F anything up!)

The guy that figured it out is located in Southern Cali and has a shop out there, so those of you that live out there and dont want to do it yourselves, he charges $150.

I'm at work right now, so I will post up the directions and the guys shop address/phone later when I get home.

I just wanted to see how many people out there with the 2006 GS would be interested in doing this??

BTW: This procedure also bypasses the bluetooth lock, so you will be able to dial out from the screen while the car is in motion also.

This is great information. Any idea if this procedure will work for the 2007 GS 450h I just got? It has a Gen 5 NAV system

I have use the pre-posted procedure for the GS and adapted it to the GS450h. The only difference is that the pink wire (other GS) of the passenger side plug is replace by a white wire (with silver dot) of the middle plug for the 450h (pin number 16, bottom row of the passenger side of the middle plug). The rest of the procedure is the same…

DVD - NAV Bypass for GS450h 2007

I will only post this file for a few days at this address. I would like if somebody could post it on this site !

FAQ :

:whistles: Yes this work perfectly for the GS450h. Our girl friend, (for some of use, our right hand) can now use every function of the console even while driving.

:P This modification will not affect the GPS because of the loop we have done bettween the purple wire and the white wire.

:( Since the GPS still thinck that we are mouving, you have to do the following to have acces to all function of the GPS (with your girl friend) while the car is mouving :

PRESS IN SEQUENCE :

«MENU»

«Volume"«

touching the top left corner

bottomn left corner

top left corner

bottomn left corner

«Over Ride» for five second (until it come dark bleu)

«back»

You will see, this is not difficult to remember...

:) Believe me, this is all done in less then 20 minutes and it is worth it.

:censored: The only bug, is that you will find out that the famous wood they sell us is only plastic and that most of the interior leather is vinyl (but with the price of the oil barrel at $70, plastic is probably more expensive then the real thing !!!)

;) Have fun… IMPORTANT, I do not take any responsibilities if you are not concentrated on the road will driving...

Sorry if my english is not to good I am a french canadian !!!

100 % proved on my 2007 GS450h EU version

Thanks budy :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is definitely a cool mod that I will be trying. But, you guys are nuts cutting your wires voiding your warranties. This mod should be able to be performed by removing the wires from their connectors so they could be put back to original condition if needed.

You might need to buy a couple proper connectors to connect the purple and pink wires' pins together but you really shouldn't need to be cutting wires.

You also might need to buy the proper tool to remove the wires from the connectors (not sure yet) but big deal. A few dollars investment is worth salvaging your warranty.

If and when I get around to this, I will post pictures of the parts I used.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome fix. Thanks so much for the info. I also spent about 2 hours today doing this mod but I agree, it could have been done in about 30-45 minutes. I was just a little nervous so I wanted to take my time. Everything works like a charm. Again, thanks for the info and also, thanks to who ever took the time to figure this out.

Ken

I've tried this on my 2008 GS350, and it enable NAVI entry on the fly, but did not allow calls or dvd in motion. It also caused jerky nav. it also did NOT allow browsing of MP3 folder or IPOD

check the post #2 of this thread

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3040275

make sure your mod is exactly the same as:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z117/rh...007_GS_diag.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Although I dont recommend watching dvds while driving, its definately nice to have if you have kids or even to entertain your friends, girlfriend, wife, etc...

Its an easy fix that you can do yourself (I did it on my car in about 2 hours and that was going slow to ensure that I didn't F anything up!)

The guy that figured it out is located in Southern Cali and has a shop out there, so those of you that live out there and dont want to do it yourselves, he charges $150.

I'm at work right now, so I will post up the directions and the guys shop address/phone later when I get home.

I just wanted to see how many people out there with the 2006 GS would be interested in doing this??

BTW: This procedure also bypasses the bluetooth lock, so you will be able to dial out from the screen while the car is in motion also.

I'm not as brave as you are. Can you give me the contact info for the So. Cal guy that will do this. Thanks!!

Thanks to Rolling Audio, here's what my car can do:

Navigation entry and POI in motion

Phone Dial in motion

DVD in motion

Mp3 Browsing in motion

Menu/settings in Motion

This company was fast and affordable. No $400 cable to buy.

I watched them during the whole process. They respected my vehicle with careful removal of parts, towels and mats while they were in the car and most important, NOW I CAN USE MY CAR to it's full potential!

PM me or PM Rolling Audio for info (sacramento)

:woot:

Thanks to Rolling Audio, here's what my car can do:

Navigation entry and POI in motion

Phone Dial in motion

DVD in motion

Mp3 Browsing in motion

Menu/settings in Motion

This company was fast and affordable. No $400 cable to buy.

I watched them during the whole process. They respected my vehicle with careful removal of parts, towels and mats while they were in the car and most important, NOW I CAN USE MY CAR to it's full potential!

PM me or PM Rolling Audio for info (sacramento)

:woot:

I found a stereo shop in Woodland Hills (Southern California) that will override the motion restrictions for $150. The owesome part is that they do not cut any wires or even take anything apart. They know a mechanic at a Lexus dealer that will do it using the on board computers. Warranty is not void. Can't go wrong.

They did it on my 06 GS 430 today. Works great. E-mail me, if you want the stereo shop info.

-So Cal George

:cheers:

I found a stereo shop in Woodland Hills (Southern California) that will override the motion restrictions for $150. The owesome part is that they do not cut any wires or even take anything apart. They know a mechanic at a Lexus dealer that will do it using the on board computers. Warranty is not void. Can't go wrong.

They did it on my 06 GS 430 today. Works great. E-mail me, if you want the stereo shop info.

-So Cal George

can he get rid of the "I Agree" prompt too?

-So Cal George

can he get rid of the "I Agree" prompt too?

Great find..... that trick doesn't work on 07 or 08 models. They've changed the firmware.