Dvd Bypass Is Finally Here! For 2006 Gs

So has anyone done this mod yet??

I did the mod in about 30 min. Your instructions were good with the help of pics. I soldered and used heat shrink on all connections and would recommend this to others. I only wish it allowed you to enter destinations while driving. Thanks for the info!

You will need a small flat head screw driver, a phillip head screw driver, a 10mm socket and a towel to protect the navigation unit.

First, remove the plastic trim underneath the nav( just right above the ashtray) by pry it out with a small flat head screw driver.

Hint: Tape the screw driver with Scotch tape to protect the finish of the trim.

post-18508-1128388127_thumb.jpg

Second, put the shifter into "D" position. DO NOT START THE CAR. Just press the start buttom twice( foot of brake pedal at this time) and put the shifter to " D" or you can remove the shift lock tab and press the buttom, so you can move the shifter to " D"

Unscrew the shifter and pry up on the center console.

post-18508-1128388153_thumb.jpg

Third, remove the phillip head screw on each side of the side cover and the pry out.

post-18508-1128388179_thumb.jpg

Gently remove both covers.

post-18508-1128388210_thumb.jpg

After that you will see 4 10mm bolts( 2 on each side). Remove those bolts from the nav screen bracket and remove the nav unit.

If you look under the nav unit you will find a piece of metal bracket on each side to grab onto and pull it out. Do not pry on the side of the Nav unit or try to remove the AC vent.

post-18508-1128388229_thumb.jpg

One more.

Oh, the AC vent is part of the dash. If you attemt ot remove it...  you will have yourself a new dash.

post-18508-1128388250_thumb.jpg

***************ACTUAL WIRE CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS

There are three white plugs going into the monitor. We will not touch the middle one.

On the far left, closest to driver's side, is 26-pin plug K46.

On the far right, closest to passenger side, is 32-pin plug h1.

On K46, pin # 14 is purple. It is the VSS wire coming in from the BCM to the monitor. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

On K46, pin # 23 is yellow. It is the Parking Brake wire that tells the monitor if the parking brake is engaged. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

On h1, pin # 13 is pink. It is the VSS wire that leads out to the navigation unit. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

The monitor side of the purple wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

The wireloom side of the yellow wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

The monitor side of the pink wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

Use a ring terminal and an 18 awg wire to connect the monitor side of the yellow wire to chassis ground. There's plenty of grounding locations available along the side, where the monitor mounts. Screw or bolt it in securely w/o interfering w/mounting area.

Use butt connectors or tape and solder an 18 awg wire to connect the wireloom side of the purple wire to the wireloom side of the pink wire. You are effectively re-routing the VSS signal directly into the navigation.

Reinstall the monitor and you are finished

Top down view of back of nav

post-18508-1128388264_thumb.jpg

closet to driver side

post-18508-1128388272_thumb.jpg

closet to passenger side

post-18508-1128388279_thumb.jpg

BTW: I did not come up with this mod. I just happened to find it on another Lexus forum. So do it at your own risk! I did it on mine and everything is fine.

OK, thanks for the info guys. Just a couple of dumb questions.

When connecting(rerouting) the Purple VSS(in) to Pink VSS(out) you mention to solder these connections. Would simply capping work fine?

Also, when grounding the monitor side yellow #23, is it ok to just connect to an existing screw?

I haven't looked inside yet so don't know what all the grounding options are.

Thanks for your help.

There is a bracket with two phillips screws on top of the nav unit. I just grounded mine there. Like others have already posted, there really isn't a need for it, but it won't hurt anything if you do grund it

Anyone done in the DVD Bypass in Charlotte, NC area?

Jason

I'm also interested in anyone in Charlotte, otherwise I'm doing surgury myself :D

I live in the Carolina/Virginia area....Winston-Salem to be exact....this mod is very easy and I am willing to perform it for anyone in the area for a small fee. It works very well and makes this awesome automobile even sweeter!! i reccommend it to anyone its worth it!

email me at fmlexus06gs@aol.com

I performed the DVD / Bluetooth Phone Bypass earlier today on my 10 day old 2006 GS300 AWD.

I honestly went inside to just take a look around. Once I had the Nav unit pulled out and I saw how easy it was, I couldn't resist.

I grabbed the nippers, some solderless connectors, heat shrink tubing and went to work. I ran a ground wire to the lower left 10mm mounting bolt with a ring connector, tightened it all up and took a deep breath while stepping on the brake pedal and pressing the start button.

I was greeted by the Lexus welcome screen and then the screen display the attached image telling me that I had completed a sucessful mod!

I live in the Long Island area and would be happy to offer advice on performing this easy mod. I pulled out of the driveway, and dialed my house from the touchscreen while driving! Of course, my wife didn't quite understand why I was so happy. So I hung up and watched Batman Begins on DVD.

2006 GS300 AWD - Quartz Shadow Metallic with Black interior, Nav & Mark Levinson audio

MB

I performed the DVD / Bluetooth Phone Bypass earlier today on my 10 day old 2006 GS300 AWD.

I honestly went inside to just take a look around. Once I had the Nav unit pulled out and I saw how easy it was, I couldn't resist.

I grabbed the nippers, some solderless connectors, heat shrink tubing and went to work. I ran a ground wire to the lower left 10mm mounting bolt with a ring connector, tightened it all up and took a deep breath while stepping on the brake pedal and pressing the start button.

I was greeted by the Lexus welcome screen and then the screen display the attached image telling me that I had completed a sucessful mod!

I live in the Long Island area and would be happy to offer advice on performing this easy mod. I pulled out of the driveway, and dialed my house from the touchscreen while driving! Of course, my wife didn't quite understand why I was so happy. So I hung up and watched Batman Begins on DVD.

2006 GS300 AWD - Quartz Shadow Metallic with Black interior, Nav & Mark Levinson audio

MB

I live near Princeton. NJ and have a fully loaded 06 GS300 AWD. I would like to connect with you in Long Island to do this for me and I will pay a fee.

Glen

runner53@comcast.net

MB

I live near Princeton. NJ and have a fully loaded 06 GS300 AWD. I would like to connect with you in Long Island to do this for me and I will pay a fee.

Glen

runner53@comcast.net

Glen,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I am not sure I feel comfortable doing this to someone else's car.

If something went wrong I would feel horrible. I could not be responsible for anything like that.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

i can do it for you for 75 bucks. its incredibly easy. let me know if you're interested. i live in glendale.

I am interested. I am in Encino and I am not good with electronics. $75 is worth it. Call me at 818-554-9017.

Martin

i can do it for you for 75 bucks. its incredibly easy. let me know if you're interested. i live in glendale.

I am interested. I am in Encino and I am not good with electronics. $75 is worth it. Call me at 818-554-9017.

Martin

My price is $100 This mod only works on 2006 GS's. So those of you with older models emailing me, i dont know how to do it on your car. My email adress is tadehbazik@mac.com

Martin

My price is $100 This mod only works on 2006 GS's. So those of you with older models emailing me, i dont know how to do it on your car. My email adress is tadehbazik@mac.com

$100 works as well - I have the 2006 GS430 (Same Color as yours) - Please call me at 818-554-9017 (Martin)

Is there anyone in the Chicago area that knows how to do the bypass on a 06 GS430? Id like to pay someone to do it for me...

Todd - 06gs430 is the man... Came to his house... and he did the switch for me. Nice and clean. Good kid. Email him, he charges $100. Worth every penny.

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the North Atlanta area and can do the mod for $100.00. I only cut one wire and that is done such that it can be put back to stock if need be. I have done five cars so far with no problems. E-mail me at nflight1966@yahoo.com if you have any questions.

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping someone can help me. I performed the DVD bypass. Everything works great, except for my back-up camera. Can you tell me what I might have done wrong?

The only thing I can think of is that I cut the wrong purple wire on the plug closest to the driver's side.

The picture looked like there are two purple wires in that harness, is that true?

HELP Please!!

You will need a small flat head screw driver, a phillip head screw driver, a 10mm socket and a towel to protect the navigation unit.

First, remove the plastic trim underneath the nav( just right above the ashtray) by pry it out with a small flat head screw driver.

Hint: Tape the screw driver with Scotch tape to protect the finish of the trim.

post-18508-1128388127_thumb.jpg

Second, put the shifter into "D" position. DO NOT START THE CAR. Just press the start buttom twice( foot of brake pedal at this time) and put the shifter to " D" or you can remove the shift lock tab and press the buttom, so you can move the shifter to " D"

Unscrew the shifter and pry up on the center console.

post-18508-1128388153_thumb.jpg

Third, remove the phillip head screw on each side of the side cover and the pry out.

post-18508-1128388179_thumb.jpg

Gently remove both covers.

post-18508-1128388210_thumb.jpg

After that you will see 4 10mm bolts( 2 on each side). Remove those bolts from the nav screen bracket and remove the nav unit.

If you look under the nav unit you will find a piece of metal bracket on each side to grab onto and pull it out. Do not pry on the side of the Nav unit or try to remove the AC vent.

post-18508-1128388229_thumb.jpg

One more.

Oh, the AC vent is part of the dash. If you attemt ot remove it... you will have yourself a new dash.

post-18508-1128388250_thumb.jpg

***************ACTUAL WIRE CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS

There are three white plugs going into the monitor. We will not touch the middle one.

On the far left, closest to driver's side, is 26-pin plug K46.

On the far right, closest to passenger side, is 32-pin plug h1.

On K46, pin # 14 is purple. It is the VSS wire coming in from the BCM to the monitor. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

On K46, pin # 23 is yellow. It is the Parking Brake wire that tells the monitor if the parking brake is engaged. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

On h1, pin # 13 is pink. It is the VSS wire that leads out to the navigation unit. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

The monitor side of the purple wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

The wireloom side of the yellow wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

The monitor side of the pink wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

Use a ring terminal and an 18 awg wire to connect the monitor side of the yellow wire to chassis ground. There's plenty of grounding locations available along the side, where the monitor mounts. Screw or bolt it in securely w/o interfering w/mounting area.

Use butt connectors or tape and solder an 18 awg wire to connect the wireloom side of the purple wire to the wireloom side of the pink wire. You are effectively re-routing the VSS signal directly into the navigation.

Reinstall the monitor and you are finished

Top down view of back of nav

post-18508-1128388264_thumb.jpg

closet to driver side

post-18508-1128388272_thumb.jpg

closet to passenger side

post-18508-1128388279_thumb.jpg

BTW: I did not come up with this mod. I just happened to find it on another Lexus forum. So do it at your own risk! I did it on mine and everything is fine.

HI,

I JUST SIGNED IN TO THIS FORUM

YOU GUYS HAVE A GREAT PLACE HERE AND I LIKE EVERYTHING THAT IM READING I WORK IN THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY <MIDAS>AND JUST BOUGHT MY 06 GS300 BACK IN NOV. LOVE IT AND IM GONNA CHECK IF I CAN DO THIS OVERRIDE ON THE NAV SYSTEM.IF YOU GUYS NEED ANYTHING ON THE PARTS AND YOU ARE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BY LOS ANGELES YOU CAN REPLY TO ME TO SEE IF I CAN ORDER ANY KIND OF PARTS FOR YOUR CARS AND PLUS MY BROTHER IS A CAR BROKER SO I CAN GET GREAT DEALS

06GS430<<< PLEASE CALL ME AT 626-242-4904 NAME IS KEN I LIKE TO DO IT IM IN GLENDALE TOO,GLENDALE CALIFORNIA THAT IS NOT AZ LOL FOR $75 WORTH IT

ANYWAYS JUST WANTED TO SAY HELLO TO EVERYONE OUT THERE AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

LATE

KEN

ON NEW CARS TOO

• 3 weeks later...

:( I must have studied the instructions 10 times and it appeared easy enough. However, I am unsure what kind of connectors I should use to cap the cut wires and splice the 2 wires together. The original post mentioned 3M connectors. What are people using? Where can I buy them? I looked in HomeDepot and Lowe's and cannot find anything I like. Crimp connector would be fine as long as they are sturdy and wouldn't short out. I would like to avoid soldering in the car if I can avoid it. I do not have the cold solder thing.

Thanks for the info.

CC

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I followed the instructions exactly with m cousin who has done this on a similiar navigation model, but followed the direction exactly as stated in the step by step instructions. Only difference is we had to get some additional wiring since we cut the wires a little too short. But everything is connected the way the instructions state. We test drove the GS and tried to input address and everything is grayed out like the way it is normally.

Is there anything else we need to do? Can someone help out with us, my 2006 GS 300 is sitting around with everything open for the moment...

Cheers,

SJ

Hello,

I followed the instructions exactly with m cousin who has done this on a similiar navigation model, but followed the direction exactly as stated in the step by step instructions. Only difference is we had to get some additional wiring since we cut the wires a little too short. But everything is connected the way the instructions state. We test drove the GS and tried to input address and everything is grayed out like the way it is normally.

Is there anything else we need to do? Can someone help out with us, my 2006 GS 300 is sitting around with everything open for the moment...

Cheers,

SJ

you've done everyhing correctly if the screen works, the only thing is, the mod does not let you input while driving. all it does is unlock the "gray blurring" when the car is moving on the PHONE DIALING and on the DVD PLAYER. it allows you to watch a DVD while the car is in motion. to do the input, you still have to do the manual bypass. do u know hwo to do it? its posted way earlier up in this thread.

to save you time scrolling up through the thread, im jsut gonna say it real quick. you can do this while the car is moving or stopped. Press menu. press the volume button. touch the top left corner of the screen, then the bottmomn left corner of the screen, then again the top left corner of the screen, then again the bottomn left corner of the screen. an operator menu should pop up. hold down the button OVERRIDE for a couple seconds. when you let it go, there should be a box around it. i think its red i dont remember. if the override button looks the same as all the other buttons, you didn't hold it down long enough. once uve done that, then press ok, or back in whatever order it offers and when you're back to your main screen, the navigation input should work while the car is moving. however once you turn the car off and back on again, everything goes back to normal, you'll have to do it all again. there's a company who claims they make something that u plug into the back of the navigation that permanently disables the navigation safetey features as well as the "I Agree" message that appears everytime u turn on the car, but ive tried contacting them several times with no response. lemme know how it goes.

Does this modification cause a problem if you have the backup camera? Please email me personally @ jacyndae@bellsouth.net I really would appreciate it.

Jacynda Earl

I am hoping someone can help me. I performed the DVD bypass. Everything works great, except for my back-up camera. Can you tell me what I might have done wrong?

The only thing I can think of is that I cut the wrong purple wire on the plug closest to the driver's side.

The picture looked like there are two purple wires in that harness, is that true?

HELP Please!!

Can someone please help me??? It is now the end of March and I haven't heard anything!

Thanks in advance

Does this modification cause a problem if you have the backup camera? Please email me personally @ jacyndae@bellsouth.net I really would appreciate it.

Jacynda Earl

it doesnt matter if you have the backup camera...

i'm the one that posted these directions and everything will work fine. there have been MANY people on this board that have done it with success.

i have personally done it to my car and i have the backup camera and everything works perfect.

i'm glad that this thread has gotten so much attention as this is by far the best modification you can do to your car.

Aye i have a new gs300 2006 i wanted to know how many people have succesfully completed the dvd modification .

I performed the mod following the instructions posted on this thread when my car was three days old. It worked like a charm. Just make sure you cut the right purple wire, there are two.

If you follow the directions carefully, it works..... good luck and enjoy.

Good work, blue06gs. Any idea if this will work with the Lexus Premium stereo unit? I can't play DVD's while in park because I don't have the Mark Levinson stereo unit, but I do have the DVD drive in the glove box.

Any idea how to get it to work w/out the Mark Levinson unit?

Thanks!

uhmm. I was wondering too, I so much want this mod, but I dont have mark levingson. does this work with standard audio for 06 gs300? thank ( i didnt see an answer)