Dvd Bypass Is Finally Here! For 2006 Gs

Hey gs430 from glendale.... Can we talk about the dark tail lights you have??? Cant find them online... Where did you get them? I live in west hills.... would you do the dvd navi kill thing for me. dont want to drive down to that guy in westsminster...

thanks marc

310 678 6947

Hey gs430 from glendale.... Can we talk about the dark tail lights you have??? Cant find them online... Where did you get them?  I live in west hills.... would you do the dvd navi kill thing for me.  dont want to drive down to that guy in westsminster...

thanks marc

310 678 6947

heres a link to the dark tail lights. its actually a film that you put over it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-LEXUS-...013099291QQrdZ1

Hey gs430: you gonna kick me in of the money you getting from doing the installs? haha, just kidding bro. good way to make some extra beer money!! :cheers:

Hey gs430 from glendale.... Can we talk about the dark tail lights you have??? Cant find them online... Where did you get them?  I live in west hills.... would you do the dvd navi kill thing for me.  dont want to drive down to that guy in westsminster...

thanks marc

310 678 6947

heres a link to the dark tail lights. its actually a film that you put over it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-LEXUS-...013099291QQrdZ1

Hey gs430: you gonna kick me in of the money you getting from doing the installs? haha, just kidding bro. good way to make some extra beer money!! :cheers:

they're actually not.

i taped up the white reverse lights and had the red parts of the tailligh sprayed. you can buy the spray and make it as light or dark as you like. its comes off clean with a special abrasive and leaves no damage.

notice in the link you put, the white reverse lights are blacked out. but thats not how mine are.

DSC01796.jpg

Good work, blue06gs. Any idea if this will work with the Lexus Premium stereo unit? I can't play DVD's while in park because I don't have the Mark Levinson stereo unit, but I do have the DVD drive in the glove box.

Any idea how to get it to work w/out the Mark Levinson unit?

Thanks!

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I followed them step by step and have had good results. The only problem that I have had is that I am still not able to use my Nav system while driving (I can still use it while stopped). I can play DVDs, dial with the onscreen phone, but no Nav use. What is the most likely mistake?

Thanks for the detailed instructions.  I followed them step by step and have had good results.  The only problem that I have had is that I am still not able to use my Nav system while driving (I can still use it while stopped).  I can play DVDs, dial with the onscreen phone, but no Nav use.  What is the most likely mistake?

you haven't made any mistakes. the navigation override doesn't work. just the dvd and the on screen phone works. for navigation inputs, you have to disable it manually. check up earlier in posts. i put up a video of how to do it. its a few buttons u push on ur screen that lets you bypass the navi lock. heres the link to the video...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...pe=post&id=3320

hope this helps

Thanks for the detailed instructions.  I followed them step by step and have had good results.  The only problem that I have had is that I am still not able to use my Nav system while driving (I can still use it while stopped).  I can play DVDs, dial with the onscreen phone, but no Nav use.  What is the most likely mistake?

you haven't made any mistakes. the navigation override doesn't work. just the dvd and the on screen phone works. for navigation inputs, you have to disable it manually. check up earlier in posts. i put up a video of how to do it. its a few buttons u push on ur screen that lets you bypass the navi lock. heres the link to the video...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...pe=post&id=3320

hope this helps

Thanks and sorry. I guess I missed your earlier entries--must have skipped that page. My questions are answered.

You will need a small flat head screw driver, a phillip head screw driver, a 10mm socket and a towel to protect the navigation unit.

First, remove the plastic trim underneath the nav( just right above the ashtray) by pry it out with a small flat head screw driver.

Hint: Tape the screw driver with Scotch tape to protect the finish of the trim.

post-18508-1128388127_thumb.jpg

Second, put the shifter into "D" position. DO NOT START THE CAR. Just press the start buttom twice( foot of brake pedal at this time) and put the shifter to " D" or you can remove the shift lock tab and press the buttom, so you can move the shifter to " D"

Unscrew the shifter and pry up on the center console.

post-18508-1128388153_thumb.jpg

Third, remove the phillip head screw on each side of the side cover and the pry out.

post-18508-1128388179_thumb.jpg

Gently remove both covers.

post-18508-1128388210_thumb.jpg

After that you will see 4 10mm bolts( 2 on each side). Remove those bolts from the nav screen bracket and remove the nav unit.

If you look under the nav unit you will find a piece of metal bracket on each side to grab onto and pull it out. Do not pry on the side of the Nav unit or try to remove the AC vent.

post-18508-1128388229_thumb.jpg

One more.

Oh, the AC vent is part of the dash. If you attemt ot remove it...  you will have yourself a new dash.

post-18508-1128388250_thumb.jpg

***************ACTUAL WIRE CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS

There are three white plugs going into the monitor. We will not touch the middle one.

On the far left, closest to driver's side, is 26-pin plug K46.

On the far right, closest to passenger side, is 32-pin plug h1.

On K46, pin # 14 is purple. It is the VSS wire coming in from the BCM to the monitor. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

On K46, pin # 23 is yellow. It is the Parking Brake wire that tells the monitor if the parking brake is engaged. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

On h1, pin # 13 is pink. It is the VSS wire that leads out to the navigation unit. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

The monitor side of the purple wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

The wireloom side of the yellow wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

The monitor side of the pink wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

Use a ring terminal and an 18 awg wire to connect the monitor side of the yellow wire to chassis ground. There's plenty of grounding locations available along the side, where the monitor mounts. Screw or bolt it in securely w/o interfering w/mounting area.

Use butt connectors or tape and solder an 18 awg wire to connect the wireloom side of the purple wire to the wireloom side of the pink wire. You are effectively re-routing the VSS signal directly into the navigation.

Reinstall the monitor and you are finished

Top down view of back of nav

post-18508-1128388264_thumb.jpg

closet to driver side

post-18508-1128388272_thumb.jpg

closet to passenger side

post-18508-1128388279_thumb.jpg

BTW: I did not come up with this mod. I just happened to find it on another Lexus forum. So do it at your own risk! I did it on mine and everything is fine.

OK, thanks for the info guys. Just a couple of dumb questions.

When connecting(rerouting) the Purple VSS(in) to Pink VSS(out) you mention to solder these connections. Would simply capping work fine?

Also, when grounding the monitor side yellow #23, is it ok to just connect to an existing screw?

I haven't looked inside yet so don't know what all the grounding options are.

Thanks for your help.

I know some of the folks at Hendrick Lexus have the bypass on their own vehicles.  Also, I have heard Freeman's has done bypass on some cars.  I will call them on Friday.

Jason

let me know what you find out. I'm thinking of doing over the weekend. It look fairly simple. I just hate cutting on a $50K car, know what i mean.

you can email me at moss@carolina.rr.com

I know some of the folks at Hendrick Lexus have the bypass on their own vehicles.  Also, I have heard Freeman's has done bypass on some cars.  I will call them on Friday.

Jason

let me know what you find out. I'm thinking of doing over the weekend. It look fairly simple. I just hate cutting on a $50K car, know what i mean.

soldering is preferred because it makes for a better connection. For me it was easy because ive got one of those Cold Heat Soldering thingamajiggies, but twist and capping shoulnd't be a problem. as far as grounding goes. there aren't many options. you can loop through an opening or drill into your frame somehwere. i dont really see why a ground is necessary though. the yellow wire that is cut is the one that is grounded, so what was the original purpose of cutting that wire? why not just leave it intact? perhaps its a factory ground? my friend just got hired at Toyota, and since the navigation is virtually identical to the Prius, he's gonna fish around when he gets the chance and let me know. i'll keep you guys posted. i have a feeling leaving the yellow wire intact will take away the need for grounding as well as save a little bit of time.

Jason

soldering is preferred because it makes for a better connection. For me it was easy because ive got one of those Cold Heat Soldering thingamajiggies, but twist and capping shoulnd't be a problem. as far as grounding goes. there aren't many options. you can loop through an opening or drill into your frame somehwere. i dont really see why a ground is necessary though. the yellow wire that is cut is the one that is grounded, so what was the original purpose of cutting that wire? why not just leave it intact? perhaps its a factory ground? my friend just got hired at Toyota, and since the navigation is virtually identical to the Prius, he's gonna fish around when he gets the chance and let me know. i'll keep you guys posted. i have a feeling leaving the yellow wire intact will take away the need for grounding as well as save a little bit of time.

I agree, I really don' t see the need to RE-GROUND. Let me know what you find out. I may leave it for simplisity and see what happens.

:cries: Ok so here is what happend, I preformed this hack, IT WORKED, Now i can watch movies wile driving (very safe) But now I am having problem with my windows, They are not automatic anymore, Including the sun roof, I have to hold the button down to open or close. matter of fact now i cant even control the passanger side and the rear right window from driver side. Weird but thats what I am experiancing now, Has anyone else faced the same problem or am I da only one.? or any suggestion as in what could cause this?

Thanks......

• 2 weeks later...
your windows? wow, something went very very wrong.  are you sure u cut only what you were supposed to and nothing else?

Update, The windows got messed up because I decided (stupid me) to disconnect the battery before I started cutting wires (bad move). Disconecting the bettery resets the system and the windows have to be reprogramed individualy (the dealer guy did it, by pressing the window buttons and holding it up/down for giving amount of seconds, not sure exactly on the details). In short Problam fixed, Everything works great. Next step is to get this installed.

http://www.lextasy.com