Dvd Bypass Is Finally Here! For 2006 Gs

Although I dont recommend watching dvds while driving, its definately nice to have if you have kids or even to entertain your friends, girlfriend, wife, etc...

Its an easy fix that you can do yourself (I did it on my car in about 2 hours and that was going slow to ensure that I didn't F anything up!)

The guy that figured it out is located in Southern Cali and has a shop out there, so those of you that live out there and dont want to do it yourselves, he charges $150.

I'm at work right now, so I will post up the directions and the guys shop address/phone later when I get home.

I just wanted to see how many people out there with the 2006 GS would be interested in doing this??

BTW: This procedure also bypasses the bluetooth lock, so you will be able to dial out from the screen while the car is in motion also.

• Like 1

Although I dont recommend watching dvds while driving, its definately nice to have if you have kids or even to entertain your friends, girlfriend, wife, etc...

Its an easy fix that you can do yourself (I did it on my car in about 2 hours and that was going slow to ensure that I didn't F anything up!)

The guy that figured it out is located in Southern Cali and has a shop out there, so those of you that live out there and dont want to do it  yourselves, he charges $150.

I'm at work right now, so I will post up the directions and the guys shop address/phone later when I get home.

I just wanted to see how many people out there with the 2006 GS would be interested in doing this??

BTW: This procedure also bypasses the bluetooth lock, so you will be able to dial out from the screen while the car is in motion also.

Can you please post instructions or contact information to which shop can do this.

Thanks.

Joe

even i, a GX owner, am curious

I have a 2006 GS 300

I am more interested in being able to enter extension numbers after my one touch dialing while moving. I am hopeful this fix will enable me to do that.

I have very little need to watch dvd's during driving. But for a passenger to be able to enter destinations, and for me to be able to enter an "0" after my one touch dials my office, while the car is moving, would be very helpful.

I would also would like to be able to sign a waiver at the lexus place, telling them I agree to their nav warning, so that I don't have to ok it every time I start the engine.

I live in Florida and hope there is someone in my area that can perform the modification.

You will need a small flat head screw driver, a phillip head screw driver, a 10mm socket and a towel to protect the navigation unit.

First, remove the plastic trim underneath the nav( just right above the ashtray) by pry it out with a small flat head screw driver.

Hint: Tape the screw driver with Scotch tape to protect the finish of the trim.

post-18508-1128388127_thumb.jpg

Second, put the shifter into "D" position. DO NOT START THE CAR. Just press the start buttom twice( foot of brake pedal at this time) and put the shifter to " D" or you can remove the shift lock tab and press the buttom, so you can move the shifter to " D"

Unscrew the shifter and pry up on the center console.

post-18508-1128388153_thumb.jpg

Third, remove the phillip head screw on each side of the side cover and the pry out.

post-18508-1128388179_thumb.jpg

Gently remove both covers.

post-18508-1128388210_thumb.jpg

After that you will see 4 10mm bolts( 2 on each side). Remove those bolts from the nav screen bracket and remove the nav unit.

If you look under the nav unit you will find a piece of metal bracket on each side to grab onto and pull it out. Do not pry on the side of the Nav unit or try to remove the AC vent.

post-18508-1128388229_thumb.jpg

One more.

Oh, the AC vent is part of the dash. If you attemt ot remove it... you will have yourself a new dash.

post-18508-1128388250_thumb.jpg

***************ACTUAL WIRE CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS

There are three white plugs going into the monitor. We will not touch the middle one.

On the far left, closest to driver's side, is 26-pin plug K46.

On the far right, closest to passenger side, is 32-pin plug h1.

On K46, pin # 14 is purple. It is the VSS wire coming in from the BCM to the monitor. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

On K46, pin # 23 is yellow. It is the Parking Brake wire that tells the monitor if the parking brake is engaged. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

On h1, pin # 13 is pink. It is the VSS wire that leads out to the navigation unit. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

The monitor side of the purple wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

The wireloom side of the yellow wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

The monitor side of the pink wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.

Use a ring terminal and an 18 awg wire to connect the monitor side of the yellow wire to chassis ground. There's plenty of grounding locations available along the side, where the monitor mounts. Screw or bolt it in securely w/o interfering w/mounting area.

Use butt connectors or tape and solder an 18 awg wire to connect the wireloom side of the purple wire to the wireloom side of the pink wire. You are effectively re-routing the VSS signal directly into the navigation.

Reinstall the monitor and you are finished

Top down view of back of nav

post-18508-1128388264_thumb.jpg

closet to driver side

post-18508-1128388272_thumb.jpg

closet to passenger side

post-18508-1128388279_thumb.jpg

BTW: I did not come up with this mod. I just happened to find it on another Lexus forum. So do it at your own risk! I did it on mine and everything is fine.

The head unit thinks you are stopped with the parking brake applied so everything that is motion disabled is activated.

The nav will still operate because it is receiving the gps data continuously updating it.

So the navy signal is just bypassing the head unit as well as the head thinking the car is parked even thought it isn't because the 2 things it uses to know are both bypassed.

Thanks blue06gs.  You're brave!  I'm gonna carefully try it this week.

Does this also allow you to input addresses into navigation while on the move?

Hey guys,

Like I said, I wasn't the one that came up with this mod. BUT, i did try it VERY slowly and carefully!

In all honesty, the mod might seem difficult but the directions and pictures really help....i printed them out in color and had them in the car when i was doing everything.....

ALSO, be careful to leave enough room on each side of the wire when your cutting and MAKE SURE that all the wires you cut are TAPED or CRIMPED or something. The last thing you want is an electrical fire in the back of you navigation screen!!@

GOOD LUCK to all those that try this mod.

• Like 1

im going to try this on my own tomorrow. will let you guys know how everything went. and as far as i know, if u do this and mess up or are somehow caught, it will for sure void the warranty to some extent.

ok everyone i got everything all opened up, im ready to start cutting wires, but im taking extra time to make sure i cut the right ones. whoever posted these instructions, im trusting you, here goes nothing.

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOOOOOOOOOOOT PERFORM THIS MOD.

not only does this mod not work, now the button on my steering wheel that i push for my phone to come up on the screen doesn't work.

all connections are correct, i didn't do anything wrong, i followed precise directions. i have worked in the electrical field for 2 years so i know what im doing.

DO NOT PERFORM THIS MOD SOMETHING IS WRONG, AND I HAVE FEELING IT HAS TO DO WITH WHICH WIRE YOU CUT.