Diagnosis Of '2000 Problems

jweiss

My '2000 has 72,000 kms (approximately 43,000 miles) and 6 year warranty is over on Oct 22, '05. (The car was bought as previously used with 23,000 kilometers at same dealer who sold and serviced it.) This week I took it to local Toyota dealer to have 55 point checkup deliberately to determine problems and warrantable items. This is what came back:

Transmission oil pan gasket leak

Engine rocker gasket leak in front

Both rear sway bar bushings

Steering wheel shaft boot and seal noisy

L/F shock noise over bump

Car pulling to right with some differential tire wear (just had wheels checked last month with no problem)

Some concern as to whether water pump should be replaced.

This is an honest mechanic and the dealer can't do Lexus warranty work, so they weren't looking for work.

I believe most of these are covered by Extra care Protection plan. I guess it will be up to whichever Lexus mechanic who does the job to exercise his judgmebnt about the last 2 items (front end and water pump).

I'm curious to hear from others about whether this is more than expected from a car that's been regularly serviced. I know that it's only a machine and that there's always going to be wear and tear even on one as well made as lexus. However, i wonder if I should keep the car after warranty is over. It also suggests that perhaps, reliability reputation notwithstanding, that next car should have extended warranty coverage.

Thoughts?

Thanks

My '2000 has 72,000 kms (approximately 43,000 miles) and 6 year warranty is over on Oct 22, '05. (The car was bought as previously used with 23,000 kilometers at same dealer who sold and serviced it.) This week I took it to local Toyota dealer to have 55 point checkup deliberately to determine problems and warrantable items. This is what came back:

Transmission oil pan gasket leak

Engine rocker gasket leak in front

Both rear sway bar bushings

Steering wheel shaft boot and seal noisy

L/F shock noise over bump

Car pulling to right with some differential tire wear (just had wheels checked last month with no problem)

Some concern as to whether water pump should be replaced.

This is an honest mechanic and the dealer can't do Lexus warranty work, so they weren't looking for work.

I believe most of these are covered by Extra care Protection plan. I guess it will be up to whichever Lexus mechanic who does the job to exercise his judgmebnt about the last 2 items (front end and water pump).

I'm curious to hear from others about whether this is more than expected from a car that's been regularly serviced. I know that it's only a machine and that there's always going to be wear and tear even on one as well made as lexus. However, i wonder if I should keep the car after warranty is over. It also suggests that perhaps, reliability reputation notwithstanding, that next car should have extended warranty coverage.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Joel,

The first thing I would do is take some time to look over VERY closely what your Lexus extended warranty contract covers compared to what the tech has mentioned as to what needs work should answer some of the questions. I think things such as the water pump should be covered IF (big IF) the unit is failing. Tranny pan gasket & rocker cover gasket, bushings should be covered. Steering wheel shaft boot sounds like it needs lubrication. Car pulling to one side I doubt as that's an alignment issue, unless they find a suspension defect.....do you have the 'regular' suspension or the optional AVS suspension set up? (I have the AVS personally).

What I would do is go to a Lexus dealer of your choice (I have only delt with Lexus of Richmond hill for warranty items personally & they were good.......I have my own independent mechanics who do routine maintenance & service because the dealers in my opinion are way too expensive!) & talk with the service manager directly & ask him or her to put their BEST tech to work on the car, but make sure you know EXACTLY what is & is not covered when doing so. They can at least fix the stuff that is covered by the warranty & give you a quote of the other stuff should they in fact find anything else & make that clear.

P.S. Where did you take the car specifically & what mechanic worked on the car? I too have the extended coverage & it expires in Jan of 2006......I am thinking of taking the car in soon to before my coverage expires. I'd appreciate the info! Hope this helps. B)

:cheers:

Anybody else have opinions on where one should take their Lexus for a full inspection before the 'Lexus' extended warranty expires? :unsure:

Naturally, one would think that they should take it to the Lexus dealer they purchased the car & warranty from to have them go over the car with a 'fine tooth comb' or should one go to a different Lexus (or Toyota) dealer & not mention the car has a Lexus extended warranty to see what the dealer finds? :blink: What is a fair & reasonable price one should be charged for this service? (1-2 hours labour?) :huh:

How would others specifically go about this (put yourself in our shoes) & how soon should one have these things looked at before the extended warranty is up (1 month+)?:wacko:

My 01 ES has been trouble free since I purchased it (currently has 100,000 kms - 62,000 miles), & I have no known issues currently, but I don't want to kick myself after the fact & have costly repairs in the near future. Any opinions & suggestions are very much appreciated. B)

I would do a Toyota dealer. It's probably going to be a cheaper rate for inspection & if a Toyota dealer finds a problem, the Lexus dealer is going to be boxed in to do work.

& if worse came to worse, when you call Toyota of America, they can jump the dealer's butttt.

I would do a Toyota dealer. It's probably going to be a cheaper rate for inspection & if a Toyota dealer finds a problem, the Lexus dealer is going to be boxed in to do work.

& if worse came to worse, when you call Toyota of America, they can jump the dealer's butttt.

Good points Toys, however it would be Toyota Canada up here lol ;)

Only one thing I am wondering & that is would the Toyota dealer be able to diagnose a problem (not that there is one mind you) with my factory AVS suspension system? :unsure:

If the warr is almost over ,who is it with?

Having an extended is only as good as what it covers, so read you contract and find out what is .

Unless you have a problem with the AVS

can see a problem or have a code then those are the only ways they would know Lexus or not.

Yes the Toyota break out box will read the avs codes.

If the warr is almost over ,who is it with?

Having an extended is only as good as what it covers, so read you contract and find out what is .

Unless you have a problem with the AVS

can see a problem or have a code then those are the only ways they would know Lexus or not.

Yes the Toyota break out box will read the avs codes.

It's the Lexus extended warranty sk.....both mine & jweiss. B) Mileage is good until 180,000 kms but the time expires near the end of Jan 2006 for me.

Lexusfreak,

I'm bringing it to Don Valley on Monday. Andy Lam is the mechanic who used to work at Downtown Toyota and came highly recommended. When he called me back, I read him the diagnosos, and when I came to L/F shock noise over bump, he said that's probably the tower(not sure of his English, or my hearing) which is not warrantable. So, I'll have them do all warranty activity but to give an estimate for non-warrantable work.

I may get back to you for the name of your mechanic for this work.

I'm still surprised at how much has gone wrong with a car with so few miles. I would like to hear from others, especially SK, AMF, whether I'm being too severe with my expectations.

Thanks

Lexusfreak,

I'm bringing it to Don Valley on Monday. Andy Lam is the mechanic who used to work at Downtown Toyota and came highly recommended. When he called me back, I read him the diagnosos, and when I came to L/F shock noise over bump, he said that's probably the tower(not sure of his English, or my hearing) which is not warrantable. So, I'll have them do all warranty activity but to give an estimate for non-warrantable work.

I may get back to you for the name of your mechanic for this work.

I'm still surprised at how much has gone wrong with a car with so few miles. I would like to hear from others, especially SK, AMF, whether I'm being too severe with my expectations.

Thanks

Let me know all the work was done under the extended warranty & what is not covered & the estimate to fix the non-warranty items. I'd appreciate it Joel! Thanks & good luck! B)