Question About Tires..

Hey guys. I have a fairly new set of Dunlop tires, but am looking for some new rims. I dont like the stock Lexus Toyota rims.. Now the tires are 205/65R 15's.. What is the largest rim I can put that size tire on (within reason).. I dont mind having to put 15" rims back on the car. But would like to go to atleast 16" if I can.. Any one able to help me on this one...

Otherwise I just buy the lot... But still in good condition these tires..

:ph34r: Chris :ph34r:

well, doesn't that number just mean that you SHOULD only put on that size rims? cuz i know my friend has 17" tires but he put on i think 19" rims or something, or maybe the rims are 18", but i know his rims are bigger than the recommended size or something.

well I have a tire place right next door to my work here, and so I decided to go over and see the guy that runs it.. I speak Japanese, but not perfectly, but he understood what I was asking.. Basically he said that it is ok to put the 205/65R 15" tires on a 16" or 17" rim.. It just means that the profile will change and so if on a 17" rim, it will be a smaller profile than if on a 15" or 16"... Not sure if I want to try putting them on a 17" rim, but know that I can be ok with 16" rims... Hoebag said in his post that it is dangerous.. I would like to know his thinking on that. Very curious!..

well I have a tire place right next door to my work here, and so I decided to go over and see the guy that runs it.. I speak Japanese, but not perfectly, but he understood what I was asking.. Basically he said that it is ok to put the 205/65R 15" tires on a 16" or 17" rim.. It just means that the profile will change and so if on a 17" rim, it will be a smaller profile than if on a 15" or 16"... Not sure if I want to try putting them on a 17" rim, but know that I can be ok with 16" rims... Hoebag said in his post that it is dangerous.. I would like to know his thinking on that. Very curious!..

i really think the guy misunderstood you

a 15,16 or 17 inch rim must be used on the same sized tire

any thing else wil not fit

the reason is the inner diameter of the tire at its bead and the rim on its outer diameter

have to be the same

the tire won't be dangerous because it can't fit

their is not enough tire to mate and seal the air in

unless it has a huge profile for the sidwall to bend in but even then it is still next to impossible

you can change tires size inregards to 205-215 or 225 and the sidewalls anywhere from 50-75

e.g.225/70 15.....this would be a very big tire almost truck sized

ther only way to fit another diameter tire is to get another diameter rim

as the car will take 14 15 16 17 or 18 inch rims

but with corresponding tires to match

that pretty much sums it up

hope it is clear as mud now

:whistles:

Yeah, I really am not this stupid, and kinda knew that the tire wouldnt fit a different size rim.. But as I am not an expert, I was open to the possability.. And I think the guy did misunderstand me, so I guess that got me all confussed aswell? Thanks for your help!

my friend and i replaced the rims and tires of his car last year. we used http://tirerack.com

even if you don't buy from them it's pretty cool.

you can pick out the image of your car and play around with different tire and rim designs.....and see how they would look on your car.

it's fun to play with, i haven't tried it with my lexus yet, but if i replace them, ill get the rims from there.