Brake Pads With Low Dust!

kyle0k

ok so im about to buy brembo rotors form ebay ,drilled and slotted, for 210 dollars. So im set with that. but im stuck on what brakes to buy . ive searched this whole forum but cant find my answer.

my priority is low brake dust,im really tired of having my chrome rims filthy ion dust 1 hour after i just washed them!

im also looking for a even balance of the rest of thing things....low noise,braking power and durability.

can anyone give me any suggestions?

First off, what are all the benefits of going with the Brembo set up vs OE replacements? & are those 'benefits' justified considering the costs? :unsure:

I think TRD brakes should be something to consider as they are more 'heavy duty' from what I have read & heard. Not sure about the costs however. B)

:cheers:

The brembo's are heavier, as thick as will fit in spec, and "probably" stronger (Less resistant to warping, gouging & damage).

If you're braking hard, even if not enough to fade them. I think they're worth it.

What about the brake pads?

Not perosnally, I've never driven the TRD pads so I wouldn't know.

For a non-first hand opinion, I can't recall ever reading anyone on a Camry forum rave about them, so... I'd probably do aftermarket pads before TRD if I were looking to upgrade. (I'm not sure what pad the TRD one is, the OEM Lexus/Toyota pad is the Akebono ProACT Ceramic pads. Keep in mind that doesn't mean dealers use that as a replacement pad, but that's what comes from them.

My rear pads are ProACT's. They don't dust much & seem to last much longer than the other pads I've used back there.

I would avoid Autozone type generic pads. Many people swear up and down by them, including some family members. I 100% hate them. I've done the normal pads & ceramics. I blow through the things... I don't remember the numbers, but if you search Toysrme and brake pad, you can see I killed a few sets of EBC pads, and some ceramics in ungodly amounts of time. I don't think I got 5,000 miles on any set.

The only redeeming feature is lifetime replacement policy. So you can drive under the warrentee, then wear them out in a hurry & get a free set of pads. My crazy uncle hasn't paid for a set of brake pads in years!

However... I know I seem like a cheap !Removed! most of the time, brakes are not the case. So far, it's looks like I will get 30-40,000 miles on my Hawk pads. (I've said numorous times, nobody can touch my very aggressive use of brakes.)

I'd rather have the best pad money can buy for $60, than some crappy, or average pad that not only has to be replaced on a yearly, or bi-yearly(in my case) but has inferioir qualities to it.

I am pretty easy on my brakes most of the time.......haven't replaced any on my ES yet, but I know they will come due in the future so I am trying to get an idea of what to put on my shoft list when replacement time comes. It's been suggested to me that I stick with OE stuff & many I've talked to also recommend Napa pads & rotors as quiet & very durable.

Is there a specific brand or type of brake fluid you use? I'm either going with OE or Valvoline Synpower Dot 3 - 4 (covers both applications). B)

AFA brake fluid, I had been using the cheap coastal & flushing it out every year.

I've since swapped to walmart Super Tech dot3 for all the normal cars. I run dot4 in the Lexus. I've had problems boiling even fresh dot3 fluid doing some mountain runs, or a lot of extremely high speed braking.

If we were all rich, we'd be running 4.1/4+/5.1 (same stuff), but then changing brake fluid would cost more than swapping the engine oil, powersteering, transmission & differential to AMS synthetic fluids!

Sure. With brake fluid anything works. Most people never flush it out, which is bad because water get's in the fluid fairly easy. Since I try to flush them all out once a year, never more than 2, I just use whatever's cheap for the other cars.

Then fluid isn't going to make a difference in pedal feel, noise, or wear - less you convert the system to run dot5 synthetic, or run some ultra expensive fluid. As long as it's fluid that isn't old, or has water in it, it's going to feel the same.

Where you get the feel is when you're using the brakes hard enough to boil the fluid. Once brake fluid get's a few years old - most people half-way into performance that have done pads & rotors, IMHO, mis-diagnose needing to upgrade brake parts, with fluid boiling.

Anywho, I can't explain it any better than that. If you're wondering the difference between fluids, I would compare dry & wet (i.e. containing water) boiling points, and do research on bobistheoilguy.com.

As a side note, I try to avoid NAPA at all costs. They are notorious for jacking the prices of everything they sell.

I would suggest going to walmart & seeing what fluids they have. Normaly they have good deals. I just got 5 quarts of mobil synthetic for $18 thursday.

The pdf shows it's dry 503*F, wet is 343*F. That's in the dry range for most dot3's.

I use something similar.

Go for it if you want it. Unless you use your brakes enough to experiance fade, I would just go with a cheap dot3, but whatever ya want.

Be sure to run all the oil fluid out. If you dont know, take a jar or something & fill it with some cheap fluid. Run a hose from the nipple on the caliper into the container of fluid. Pump the brakes until you get new fluid out. The good news is air can't be sucked back into the system. ;)

my uncle said that the onlyway to have a low dust brake is by making it hard,and hard brakes kill your rotors. so i dont want to have to shell out 250 more bucks in liek 2 years. ill prabably stick with the close to stock Akebono ProACT Ceramic pads,how are those noise\dust wise??

Brake pads either dust a lot, or a hell of a lot.

Just invest in a strong wheel cleaner that is spray on and wash off. If you do that once a week, it won't build up & you'll never have to scrub it.

ProACT's are just normal.

Most ceramic pads will squeak if you use them very hard without warming them up, or heat them up hot, & don't cool them down, but any pad will do that.

Squeaking isn't a problem with a descent pad (like the listed ones).

hmm ok i tihnk ill prabably go with the act's then. But yea i dont  want to use a wheel cleaner they damage the rim!  And my sonus detailer works well but still takes a bit of time to clean the wheel

I've use wheel cleaner every once in a while & only leave it on for 30 seconds or less before hosing it off.......the finish still looks like new, but then again, I use a coat of wax on them twice a year so they are easier to clean with just a towel & only use the wheel cleaner when necessary. B)