Coastaletech Nav Enhancement

mooks005

• 3 months later...

Coastaltek is a company to watch out for. They have virtually no support, don't return phone calls or emails. They don't even answer their phone. Buyer/consumer beware!

Yup, preaching to the choir, I've been waiting for this since July 05' but to be fair, they haven't charged my credit card yet and they might have a typo on the web site...

Instead of being available soon 6~8 weeks, they might have meant 6~8 MONTHS!!! :D I should be getting it now ANY DAY!!!!

-Alex (HOLDING my breath....)

NOT!

If someone would find a supplier of Molex connectors and whoever has the coastaltech unit can take a look at hte board to see the wiring diagram we can just make the damn thing ourselves I would not imagine its particularly difficult...

Coastaltek is a company to watch out for. They have virtually no support, don't return phone calls or emails. They don't even answer their phone. Buyer/consumer beware!

Yup, preaching to the choir, I've been waiting for this since July 05' but to be fair, they haven't charged my credit card yet and they might have a typo on the web site...

Instead of being available soon 6~8 weeks, they might have meant 6~8 MONTHS!!! :D I should be getting it now ANY DAY!!!!

-Alex (HOLDING my breath....)

NOT!

I orderred from Coastal Tech last week and received the unit last night. As I have an 05 I didn't need the bluetooth attachement. Took 5 minutes to install and works as advertised. Hits the "I agree" button and a few minutes later automatically goes through the override steps.

I orderred from Coastal Tech last week and received the unit last night. As I have an 05 I didn't need the bluetooth attachement. Took 5 minutes to install and works as advertised. Hits the "I agree" button and a few minutes later automatically goes through the override steps.

Which year GX do you have? I was curious which version of the unit I would order for a 2004 GX with the Gen III Nav system. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks .... :cheers:

But I thought this little gizmo was diesigned so you DON'T have to hit the I Agree button any more?

I have an '06 and was wondering:

Which one of the coastaltech units works with the GX? Is it the Highlander or Prius unit? Also, is there something else I need so that my bluetooth will continue to work with their NAV enhancement?

Its the Prius version (05 I believe) its really the only one they have... as far as bluetooth, as people misunderstand, they do sell a BLUETOOTH unit for $149 and what that does it simply enables use to DIAL DIGITS while driving (that is if you don't have bluetooth it won't enable it for you, and if you DO have it it will not disable it). Baiscally its another override similar to the NAV but just for Bluetooth Phone dialing... the equivalent of that would be cutting a Purple/White wire on the second from left (loooking from the back) connector on the Nav system (that being the speed sensor to the phone dialer).

enjoy

I have an '06 and was wondering:

Which one of the coastaltech units works with the GX? Is it the Highlander or Prius unit? Also, is there something else I need so that my bluetooth will continue to work with their NAV enhancement?

I agree. I'm willing to pay the $100 so that I don't have to hit the "I Agree" button like a trained monkey for the rest of the time I own the car. I don't think it is possible to get rid of this without something like what Costaltech offers. However, I'm happy to save $50 and just cut the Violet and Red wire myself. I actually think you should be able to pull the pin from the connector and wrap it in electrical tape. This would make it easier to put the system back into it's "factory config" if needed.

If you want to see how to get access to the wire, check out my web page that describes how to install the Vaistech iPod integration unit. Look at steps 18 and 19. In step 18 you can see the back of the Multi-Display. The connector you're going after is the one in left of the picture (center of the Multi-Display). In step 19, you can see the Violet and Red wire. It is now plugged into the Vaistech connector and has been turned over.

http://www.emba42.com/lexus/

Its the Prius version (05 I believe) its really the only one they have... as far as bluetooth, as people misunderstand, they do sell a BLUETOOTH unit for $149 and what that does it simply enables use to DIAL DIGITS while driving (that is if you don't have bluetooth it won't enable it for you, and if you DO have it it will not disable it). Baiscally its another override similar to the NAV but just for Bluetooth Phone dialing... the equivalent of that would be cutting a Purple/White wire on the second from left (loooking from the back) connector on the Nav system (that being the speed sensor to the phone dialer).

Daryl, just so you know there are TWO Violet/Red wires... I believe the one you are referring to is the DVD speed sensor for RSES, just so you know BLUETOOTH has a SEPARATE Speed sensor wire (same color but its the smaller of the molex connectors). I don't have the 06 wiring diagrams (just the 04) hence I don't remember the exact connector, and yes you can take the individual pins out of Molex connectors if you press on the white tab inside the pin well.

I agree. I'm willing to pay the $100 so that I don't have to hit the "I Agree" button like a trained monkey for the rest of the time I own the car. I don't think it is possible to get rid of this without something like what Costaltech offers. However, I'm happy to save $50 and just cut the Violet and Red wire myself. I actually think you should be able to pull the pin from the connector and wrap it in electrical tape. This would make it easier to put the system back into it's "factory config" if needed.

If you want to see how to get access to the wire, check out my web page that describes how to install the Vaistech iPod integration unit. Look at steps 18 and 19. In step 18 you can see the back of the Multi-Display. The connector you're going after is the one in left of the picture (center of the Multi-Display). In step 19, you can see the Violet and Red wire. It is now plugged into the Vaistech connector and has been turned over.

http://www.emba42.com/lexus/

Has anyone ordered from CostalTech lately for a 2006 GX470?

I sent an email, unanswered now for a week and they don't answer the phone, and hesitate to order the NAV kit listed for the 2005 focus without confirmation it will work with my 2006 GX470 with BlueTooth.

Should I just order this and hope for the best???

I'm really tired of pressing that dumb agree button and doing the override.

Regards,

TurboJones

Has anyone ordered from CostalTech lately for a 2006 GX470?

I sent an email, unanswered now for a week and they don't answer the phone, and hesitate to order the NAV kit listed for the 2005 focus without confirmation it will work with my 2006 GX470 with BlueTooth.

Should I just order this and hope for the best???

I'm really tired of pressing that dumb agree button and doing the override.

Regards,

TurboJones

You would think they would get their act together and expand as there seems to be quite a demand.

Daryl, just so you know there are TWO Violet/Red wires... I believe the one you are referring to is the DVD speed sensor for RSES, just so you know BLUETOOTH has a SEPARATE Speed sensor wire (same color but its the smaller of the molex connectors). I don't have the 06 wiring diagrams (just the 04) hence I don't remember the exact connector, and yes you can take the individual pins out of Molex connectors if you press on the white tab inside the pin well.

That's good information. Shortly after I got my 2005 GX470 I bought a couple of days access to the manuals at http://techinfo.lexus.com/. Sadly, at that point the 2005 GX470 manuals hadn't been updated with the bluetooth enabled (4th gen?) nav units. I just checked and even the 2006 wiring diagram isn't correct.

• 5 months later...

I have no knowledge of this subject at hand. But perhaps one point should be clarified as requested. Apparently, there is a labeling and coding company with the name of CoastalTek.

This is not to be confused with CostalTech. Best of luck to all of you with the resolution of any issues. But it should be known that CoastalTek and CostalTech are two different companies and as far as I can tell offer two different services.

Just a requested clarification.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no knowledge of this subject at hand. But perhaps one point should be clarified as requested. Apparently, there is a labeling and coding company with the name of CoastalTek.

This is not to be confused with CostalTech. Best of luck to all of you with the resolution of any issues. But it should be known that CoastalTek and CostalTech are two different companies and as far as I can tell offer two different services.

Just a requested clarification.

Good luck.

It's neither CoastalTech nor CoastalTek. It's CoastaleTech.

~ Cap

• 2 weeks later...

I just received the coastaletech "locpick" package for my GX 470, but the installation instructions were for a Prius. It said to pop out the dash center speaker which provides access to the rear of the screen. It is a simple find the right harness and insert the new harness. Does anyone know if the Lexus center dash speaker just pops out?

The unit was delivered about 4 days after placing the order.

Has anyone installed the Lockpick on a GX470? Please let us know how the installation goes. Coastaletech has not answered two e-mails in over a week. I'm very interested in getting a Lockpick, but would rather not disasemble the dash. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone installed the Lockpick on a GX470? Please let us know how the installation goes. Coastaletech has not answered two e-mails in over a week. I'm very interested in getting a Lockpick, but would rather not disasemble the dash. Thanks!

Anyone intalled the Lockpick yet? I need to know if I can do this myself or will need to spend big bucks for a professional installation.

You absolutely have to take out the nav screen as the place where the lockpick installs is directly behind the screen. Yes it is intimidating, but very very easy. The first time I took an hour carefully taking off the trim pieces, now I can have it out in less than 5min. There are detailed pics on the forums (do search) but it basically involved removing the side pieces by the shifter and then the vent/trim on either side of the screen. From there 5 bolts to remove the screen and you have access to what you need.

It certainly would - you may want to check with Coastaletech to see if you will need the "audio isolator" device for the Vais unit. I installed the LX470 XM kit into my GX and I did not need that extra piece from Coastaletech. I like having the OEM XM kit, but only downside is the lower volume level on the XM. It is my understanding that the Vais unit has an adjustment to increase the level out so that it more closely matches your other audio sources.

Unfortunately the lockpick unit I got did not work properly and I am waiting for the replacement one to arrive. It worked fine for the "I Agree", the nav override, and the bluetooth, but it did not work with the factory RSES.

They are currently out of stock and I am supposed to get a new one shortly.

Hopefully it all works as expected!