What Sets A Valet And Master Key Apart?

chrispiss

Hey I was just wondering what makes a valet key cut different than a master to make it not able to open the trunk/glove box. Is there a notch or groove somewhere on there, or is the key a different shape or length or something? Is there a way a locksmith could take a valet key and make it work like a master?

Thanks!

depending on the year of the car .

The earlier ones 90-97 had one extra notch on the keys inside grooves t

98- present now use the exact same inner grooves but on the outside of the key has a long line that runs down the side of it. No groove and it is a valet key only.

That make it open the glove box gas cover and trunk lockout as well as the trunk.

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a master already from Sewell Lexus. But I was looking on ebay and found some aftermarket blanks that have the Lexus logo on them so they look factory, but they say they are valet keys only and I was just wondering what that meant. The guy said that the blanks, when cut, will only open the doors and turn on the car even if it's cut from a master.

Does that make sense? It seems like if a valet just has an extra notch that those ones on ebay would work just fine.

Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEBI:IT

notice how he calls it an ignition/door key.

You can see the end, and one of the middle grooves are slightly different on the valet.

I will say that what's interesting the camera didn't pick up.

The master key profile has worn into the "center" part. You can see the differance in profile in person if you get a magnifying glass.

Then how would this explain the seller in that auction telling me those keys would only open the doors and ignition? I emailed him specifically about it since his auction says "these keys are for doors/ignition" and I asked him if it would open the trunk and he said no. Is he just mistaken?

Then how would this explain the seller in that auction telling me those keys would only open the doors and ignition? I emailed him specifically about it since his auction says "these keys are for doors/ignition" and I asked him if it would open the trunk and he said no. Is he just mistaken?

anyone know the answer?

I already explained what sets the keys apart.

No one can explain why chicken little thought the sky was falling,know what i mean

You explained what you thought. But that wasn't my question. This guy has sold thousands of keys and it says ignition/door only. My question was is he mistaken or is there something more than the way it's cut?

I don't really understand what you're trying to say with the chicken little thing btw...

It is not what i think ,it is what i know ,it is one tooth made to diferentiate the tumbler knowing which is is which.

If the guy doesn;t know what he is selling because he doesn't own one then what can i tell you,he just doesn't know.

If he doesn't know why things are the way they are then he is like chicken little thinking the sky is falling with no clue of the truth.

I don't know what is left to explain, i told you

toys showed you ,what is left?

take it or leave it.

You asked a question and got an exact answer.If he can't give you one then what do you think the answer is.

It is not what i think ,it is what i know ,it is one tooth made to diferentiate the tumbler knowing which is is which.

If the guy doesn;t know what he is selling because he doesn't own one then what can i tell you,he just doesn't know.

If he doesn't know why things are the way they are then he is like chicken little thinking the sky is falling with no clue of the truth.

I don't know what is left to explain, i told you

toys showed you ,what is left?

take it or leave it.

You asked a question and got an exact answer.If he can't give you one then what do you think the answer is.

OK, thank you for finally answering my question.

• 10 months later...

OKay, an additional question... is is possible to get a spare made of the valet key? I have ONLY a valet key, would like a spare even of that, but not sure one will be able to start the engine since I have no master key.

Any suggestions?

Hello folks!

Would anyone lead me to Toronto area place where I can cut ES 300 1992 key from the blank?

Do I have the only choice of buying this blank on EBAY? Is there any place in Toronto they sell and cut key for Lexus?

With much appreciation,

Gennady

(gefter@netzero.net)

The cheapest is a guy on eBay who you send a copy of the key and he will cut a new one for you with a new head.About $40 with the key and cutting.

Otherwise locksmiths in Toronto can cut them for about $50 but you supply the key. If you don;t want an alarm button on the key the dealer sells them pretty cheap for a master key with no electronics.