Price For 06 Gx470

Kasfin

I am looking to buy a 2006 GX470, went to the dealership today and fell in love with it. I am going to buy it with all the options, the MSRP is close to 57K. I was going to offer 49K + TTL, but I wanted to do a little bit of research before I made my offer. I know they still have the 05's, but I am pretty adament about getting my offer for the GX470, because I am in no hurry to buy it, I just want it before the Chicago Winter starts. Am I offering too low? What is considered a good deal (I know what a good deal means, anything you paid for and happy to pay for it). I have heard, the Lexus dealers really dont take a lot off of MSRP and good dealers I should go to in the Chicago area? I live near Highland Park and was at the Highland Park dealership, is this a good dealership to go to? Has anyone had issues with this place or praise? Or do you recomend another dealership?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I would appreciate all input, weather positive or negative.

Thanks in advance!

Kasfin

I am looking to buy a 2006 GX470, went to the dealership today and fell in love with it.  I am going to buy it with all the options, the MSRP is close to 57K.  I was going to offer 49K + TTL, but I wanted to do a little bit of research before I made my offer.  I know they still have the 05's, but I am pretty adament about getting my offer for the GX470, because I am in no hurry to buy it, I just want it before the Chicago Winter starts.  Am I offering too low? What is considered a good deal (I know what a good deal means, anything you paid for and happy to pay for it).  I have heard, the Lexus dealers really dont take a lot off of MSRP and good dealers I should go to in the Chicago area? I live near Highland Park and was at the Highland Park dealership, is this a good dealership to go to? Has anyone had issues with this place or praise?  Or do you recomend another dealership?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I would appreciate all input, weather positive or negative.

Thanks in advance!

Kasfin

Edmunds.com says that the invoice cost is $49,357.

Their true market value, what others are paying is $56,824 so I kinda doubt you're going to get them much less than $56,000.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/lexus/gx47...ntmv.1.1.Lexus*

I was quoted $48.7K from the Lexus internet sales just recently... they still had 05's on the lot with a quoted price of $47.4K.

I've found most dealers integrated their Fleet / Internet departments... and IMO is the most effective way to purchase a vehicle.

You should be able to get this for just under 49k...with Nav/Audio, 3rd row seat, rear spoiler and tow hitch (complete). You may want to go through the dealers internet team as they seem to be more aggressive.

I almost baught a MDX last week, the deal was great, loaded MDX for $37,800, but after I test drove the GX470, I could not even imagine owning a MDX. I was thinking about the new Range Rover, but for the money and the possible electical problems it still has, I could not risk spending 70K on a truck that still has issues. My only concern with buying a GX470 is the possible clunk problem. I hope they took care of it and are willing to fix it in the future.

You guys have been real helpful. I am definatly going to stick to my guns and wait for an internet manager to offer me $50k or below on an 06. I know they are still going to make money off the sale. So whichever Internet manager accepts my offer, I will be a new owner of GX470.

Thanks again,

Kasfin

Something else to keep in mind with spirit of the "deal".... try going outside your local area for quotes (remember thru the internet they don't really need to know where you live...but through that process you can start finding out how low, low is! Also remember the dealer works from the MSRP down and you should work from the invoice up! You should not pay over 48k (before taxes etc..) for an '06. But you're going to have to play the game of working dealers against each other.

Additionally, if you do find a deal outside your area you can always have the car shipped and still be ahead. Dealers do it all the time. Good Luck!!

Kasfin,

I'm going through the same mental anguish.... I can't figure out what vehicle I want to spend a boat-load full of money on just to watch it sit in the service bay. The last time I purchased a new vehicle the internet didn't exist.... now we have access to information (good or bad) on new vehicles at our disposal.

:cheers:

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the clunk... it appears they're working the problem. Not exactly the most effective fix.... but from what I've read a least they coated the slip-yoke with Teflon. The only way to really fix this problem is to redesign the output shaft and housing on the transfer case... eliminate the slip-yoke and build the "slip" into the driveshaft. Makes for a longer driveshaft and eliminates the clunk on that short yoke.

This is common on most trucks and SUVs with steeper driveline angles... especially 4x4s due to the shorter driveshaft from the transfer case to the rear axle. It appears the clunk starts after everthing gets well "broken-in". The driveline settles after coming to a complete stop or upon release of the brake after being stopped... the yoke appears to bind, and slips-n-clunks with the action.

After troubleshooting the ubiquitous clunk on my Jeep and spending $1,200 for a redesigned TC output and driveshaft that finally fixed the problem.... believe me, I wasn't real excited when I heard a $50K GX470 ultimately did the same.

Good luck.

BTW... Land Rovers are also known for clunking. Just ask the service manager how many vehicles they've diagnosed having a clunk.

I was thinking about the new Range Rover, but  for the money and the possible electical problems it still has, I could not risk spending 70K on a truck that still has issues.  My only concern with buying a GX470 is the possible clunk problem.  I hope they took care of it and are willing to fix it in the future.

I got a couple of quotes from dealers. They are willing to give me Invoice price on any 05 and 1500 + Invoice on the 06. I am still holding out for Invoice on the 06. But in the mean time I have been test driving other SUV's.

I test drove the Range Rover HSE 2004- it looks awesome on the outside, the inside is ok, but for the money it could have a much better Navigation system. Also, if you ever think of buying an Range Rover, test drive it on the highway, the wind noise and the noise from the engine and muffler is unbareable. I dont know how people can stand to drive them on the Highway, sounds terribly annoying when the radio is not on. But the plus size to driving the Range Rover, you feel like a celebrity driving it, cause you really have to have a lot of money to waste to buy this vehicle if you do not take it off road.

I also test drove an 05 BMW X5 4.4- looks nice, but the dashboard is terrible looking, its the same as my 1985 BMW 318i, I used to own in high school. Drives like a nice sports car for an SUV, trunk space is real small, bet I could not put two sets of golf clubs back there without folding the seats down.

I test drove a 4-runner, MDX and the Volvo X-90 with the V8 last week, none of them can compare to a GX470. So I am still stuck on the GX470, you get everything you can ask for in a SUV, except for gas mileage. I will probably give the new ML a drive next week. There is not much anything left to test after that, hopefully the Lexus dealers will cooperate and let me have my 06 GX470 at invoice price soon, so I can be a part of the satisfied owners in this forum.

FYI -- I just received the following email from Lexus:

2006 LEXUS GX470 W/NAVIGATION & MARK LEVINSON SOUND SYSTEM

ALL IN STOCK VEHICLES ONLY--GOOD THRU 9/30/05 ONLY!!

MSRP: $52,547

YOUR PRICE: NOW $46,995*!!!!

(*price does not include tax, license or doc. fee & is good thru 9/30/05(in stock vehicles only)

Equip: Standard features which also include:one touch power moonroof; roof rack; 17 inch alloy wheels; leather trim interior; wood and leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob; genuine golden bird's eye maple wood trim; power tilt and telescopic steering wheel; heated front seats; variable intermittent rain sensing windshield wipers; lexus premium 6 disc cd changer; (NL) Navigation system, Mark Levinson audio package - includes backup camera (TH) third row seat w/rear air conditioner and more standard features!

LEASE SPECIAL:

36 MONTHS

12K MILES PER YEAR

$2500 TOTAL DRIVE OFF EXPENSE

PAYMENT- $559+TAX

(Lease quote is subject to change and credit approval)

I would advise getting the KDSS it really does work. My brother and I both bought 2005's a few weeks apart and he did not get the KDSS. He has driven mine and says he notices the difference and wishes he had got it. He is even thinking of trading in for a 2006 because of this. Also I really like the sport package, The smoked lights look better than clear and like the Black Birds eye and graphite combo, Looks very sporty.

I would go out to the Edmunds or Kelly Blue Book online and build your GX470 with the desired options and find invoice price. Even with the above options and adding KDSS and tow hitch, invoice is $47,077.

http://www.kbb.com

Keep in mind dealers will quote the published invoice price + Fleet markup (usually $300-$500). The invoice price is NOT their cost!!

When you take in your KBB printout and show them invoice, ask them what their "HOLD" price is... this could be .5% to 3% less than the published invoice price you get off these Web sites. They may look at you dumbfounded, but if you sit in a Fleet office long enough, you'll eventually hear a Fleet Manager talking on the phone negotiating a dealer trade and referencing "HOLD" price.

You will probably never get the vehicle at "HOLD" price unless things are real bad and the dealer is liquidating inventory. "HOLD" is what the manufacturers kick back to dealers after the sale. Not all makes and models carry the same "HOLD" percentage...

My guess is this can vary from dealer to dealer depending on volume. That is why some dealers can sell at "invoice"... Cal Worthington is a good example.

It's my understanding this has been practiced in the U.S. since WW2. I've had two Fleet managers explain this process and I still believe dealers have more cushion with other manufacturer's incentives and bundling and selling loans...

For example:

I helped my sister negotiate a 2006 Honda CRV earlier this week .... got the vehicle for $300 over KBB published invoice. They tried to ream her on the financing with 8.89% APR due to her FICO score. I told the Fleet manager go ahead and write the contract... we'll leave a deposit, and she'll go shop financing at the credit union the next day----but she's NOT driving the vehicle off the lot.

The Fleet Manager was *BLEEP*ed and brought the Finance Director into the office... The Director said this is an "options" contract (meaning she could find her own financing after taking delivery) so you can sign and take the vehicle now. I told this guy driving the car off the lot is the only thing that makes this a done deal---he graciously conceded.

He sits back and says, "what interest rate would you be satisfied with?" ... she said, "I was thinking 6.50%". He said, off the top of his head, "How about 6.89%".... I said write the contract and we'll shop financing tomorrow. The Fleet Manager and Finance Director disappeared. The Fleet Manager comes back and said, "we found a way to bundle and sell the loan with other recent sales at premium rates, so if you take the vehicle tonight we can offer you a 5.89% APR"...

She said, "I'll take it!!"

The dealers make money on the sale of the car and selling financing... to get the best deal on the planet be willing to excercise extreme patience and NEVER drive the vehicle off the lot... after that it's a done deal!! Make them spend the time writing the contract.... but don't take delivery! Offer to leave a healthy deposit and you'll come back within three days to pick up the vehicle.

This will drive them crazy because they know you have 72 hours to shop and cancel the contract... and will ultimately make them give you the best overall savings.

Again, good luck.