Regular Or Premium Unleaded Fuel?

rollout

Lexus recommends Premium (91 octate) fuel for my "new to me" 2000 GS300. Anyone tried using Regular (87 octane) or mid-grade (89 octane)? What, besides pinging could I expect from using the lower prices and lower octane grade?

I have not seen any posts on this topic before and would appreciate some tecnical as well as non-tech replys.

Thnks.

I have a 2003 Lexus IS300 and tried putting regular fuel in it and it would NOT start! i would recomend the good stuff..

• 2 months later...

I have used both Premium (91) and regular (87) in another brand of luxury cars (non-turbo) for more than a decade. My observation is that optimum performance of the engine is achieved using Premium, but the car will run just fine on regular. I cannot explain why, but on the highway, I got an improvement of 2-4 mpg while using Premium. In the city I did not observe a significant improvement.

Different brands of fuel often use the same suppliers, so identical fuel. Fuel with 10% ethanol means a reduced mpg as ethanol doesn't burn as efficiently.

I don't believe it can happen, but if you are concerned about making your engine dirty with regular (87) fuel, then buy a bottle of 'complete fuel system cleaner' (STP at Walmart) and add it to your tank a few weeks before going for an oil change.

Higher octane gasoline facilitates explosion and therefore provides better acceleration. It doesn't do much else.

I believe that all cars (non-turbo) will run just fine on regular. But the car manufacturer might want you to use Premium as it makes their cars perform better, though not vital to your engine.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Not sure about other cars but the IS250 tends to have a carbon buildup issue which is better off with 91

But generally speaking, you just dumb down your knock-off sensor to accept regular fuel which in short run results in lower mileage and decreased power, but not sure about long run

Not sure about other cars but the IS250 tends to have a carbon buildup issue which is better off with 91

Why (curious)? The top tier brands have same detergent levels in both regular and premium grades of gasoline. Regardless I think premium gas is recommended for both IS250 and IS350 engines.

• 1 year later...

Lexus recommends Premium (91 octate) fuel for my "new to me" 2000 GS300. Anyone tried using Regular (87 octane) or mid-grade (89 octane)? What, besides pinging could I expect from using the lower prices and lower octane grade?

I have not seen any posts on this topic before and would appreciate some tecnical as well as non-tech replys.

Thnks.

Go to the top of the page and Google "wich gas to use". Should give you enough to read on the topic for a lazy evening.

Paul

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

Fast forward 6.25 years and $20 got me 6.05 gallons if 93 octane. Gyah! 

5 bucks aint gas money no more. Used to be mid grade was 10 cents more than regular, premium 10 cents a gallon higher them mid grade, but Saturday in my town regular was $2.79 and premium $3.29. Yet at one point premium was a dollar more than regular. 

The Rush song Red Barchetta was bouncing around my head on the ride home as I pondered a day when driving a petrol burning car will be a novelty. 

• Like 1