Traction Control

vpjd

Hi, I'm a new owner and member who has a 93 SC400 that got a Traction Control warning light on the way home. Is this a common problem? Are there any possible checks I might do prior to taking it into the dealer? I've already checked the fuse with a multi meter and it was ok. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Vince.

when my trac. light wuldnt turn off on my LS400 it was the fuse i couldnt figure it out and so i took it to the dealer and got charged about90 bucks labor for a $2.50 part well thats my story but since you already checked your fuse well im all out of answers. i didnt know the SC has traction controll. i i have pulled the rear out on some wet days for some fun around corners on my SC400 :lol::lol: lots of wheel spin loads of adrenalin :P

Something I learned about a few months ago. The traction control system works on the principles of ABS. Are you experiencing any ABS sensor problems also? If you aren't, then I would recommend taking the car to Toyota and ask them to run a diagnostic computer. If nothing shows up, don't worry about it until something really fails.

Thanks for the info! I took it to the dealer and they discovered the problem to be an O2 sensor, $500 (ouch). How hard is it to actually replace them? Does anyone know?

Thanks again, Vince

Gig Harbor, WA

Kinda strange that the O2 sensor would have an impact on your traction control, but yeah.

Did they happen to tell you which oxygen sensor was shot? Cuz there's more than one.

$500 is a bit steep though. The part's gotta be under 200 so they want 300 for labor?

Find out how much they want for just the part and get a part # for it.

Installation shouldn't be too difficult. For the one in the Air Intake it's just some wires you gotta connect.

For the one that's in the exhaust, it can be a bit difficult to unscrew but they come out eventually.

you may have a problem witht eh 02 sensor but it is not going to make the traction light go on

it does use the abs magnetic pickup in the hub of each wheel

to double for the traction sensor bu it might trip both if that was the trouble

no idea why tehy would say it was that sensor to trip it