Lx 470 Navigation Malfunction

sergio7500

I purchased a used 2002 LX 470 about a month ago, the navigation was working fine, until a few days ago, it says NO DISK DETECTED, when the screen starts up. I check the navigation DVD, and it looks fine. I took the car to the dealership, but they want to charge me big bucks to fix it..

has anyone experiance anything similar :cries: PLEASE HELP ME!!

• 1 month later...

I purchased 2002 LX470 in June with 52,000 miles on it, and got the same problem with Nav System saying NO DISK DETECTED. I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it and said that the Navigation Computer had gone bad and if wanted to put a new one through the dealership, they would charge me a whopping $ 5,250.00. The best part was that my Lexus warranty expired at 50,000 miles and 3 years.

So I went out hunting for a Nav computer over eBay and places and finally found a Nav Computer from a used car parts guy for $ 1,100.00 installed. Since then I've had no problems. So Buddy, the answer is your Nav Computer has gone bad. It's the unit under the front passenger seat in which you put the Nav Disk in.

NOW MY QUESTION IS...

WAS THEIR SOME BUG OR DEFECT IN THE 2002 NAVIGATION SYSTEM BECAUSE YOU ARE THE SECOND PERSON WITHIN A VERY SHORT # MONTHS SINCE I BOUGHT THIS VEHICLE THAT HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM. IF THERE WAS AND NEEDS AND MAJOR RECALL, MAY BE WE COULD RE-IMBURSED ON THE EXPENSE. I WOULD LIKE TO START A TOPIC ON THIS SITE SO WE CAN FIND OUT IF ANY OTHER YOU AND ME HAVE HAD THESE PROBLEMS AND IF THERE IS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE DONE :cheers:

post-19675-1131134045_thumb.jpg

I purchased a used 2002 LX 470 about a month ago, the navigation was working fine, until a few days ago, it says NO DISK DETECTED, when the screen starts up.  I check the navigation DVD, and it looks fine. I took the car to the dealership, but they want to charge me big bucks to fix it..

has anyone experiance anything similar :cries:  PLEASE HELP ME!!

sergio7500, If you find out you need a computer Contact me, I probably have one.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just purchased an 02 model and got the same error! If someone knows the defect or how to fix...please inform. Is this just happening to the 02 Models?

I purchased 2002 LX470 in June with 52,000 miles on it, and got the same problem with Nav System saying NO DISK DETECTED. I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it and said that the Navigation Computer had gone bad and if wanted to put a new one through the dealership, they would charge me a whopping $ 5,250.00. The best part was that my Lexus warranty expired at 50,000 miles and 3 years.

So I went out hunting for a Nav computer over eBay and places and finally found a Nav Computer from a used car parts guy for $ 1,100.00 installed. Since then I've had no problems. So Buddy, the answer is your Nav Computer has gone bad. It's the unit under the front passenger seat in which you put the Nav Disk in.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>NOW MY QUESTION IS...

WAS THEIR SOME BUG OR DEFECT IN THE 2002 NAVIGATION SYSTEM BECAUSE YOU ARE THE SECOND PERSON WITHIN A VERY SHORT # MONTHS SINCE I BOUGHT THIS VEHICLE THAT HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM. IF THERE WAS AND NEEDS AND MAJOR RECALL, MAY BE WE COULD RE-IMBURSED ON THE EXPENSE. I WOULD LIKE TO START A TOPIC ON THIS SITE SO WE CAN FIND OUT IF ANY OTHER YOU AND ME HAVE HAD THESE PROBLEMS AND IF THERE IS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE DONE :cheers: </span>

I just purchased an 02 model and got the same error! If someone knows the defect or how to fix...please inform. Is this just happening to the 02 Models?

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>NOW MY QUESTION IS...

WAS THEIR SOME BUG OR DEFECT IN THE 2002 NAVIGATION SYSTEM BECAUSE YOU ARE THE SECOND PERSON WITHIN A VERY SHORT # MONTHS SINCE I BOUGHT THIS VEHICLE THAT HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM. IF THERE WAS AND NEEDS AND MAJOR RECALL, MAY BE WE COULD RE-IMBURSED ON THE EXPENSE. I WOULD LIKE TO START A TOPIC ON THIS SITE SO WE CAN FIND OUT IF ANY OTHER YOU AND ME HAVE HAD THESE PROBLEMS AND IF THERE IS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE DONE :cheers: </span>

The $5250 price is a littlte dramatic and not the total story. That price is for a new one. Most people are provided an exchange/remanufactured unit which costs, probably just under $2K for the nav computer. The only time a person would be quoted that higher price would be if they asked for a new unit or if the unit in the car was physically damaged, water damaged, or tampered with which voids the exchange/remanufactured price.

• 7 months later...

I have a 2002 LX 470 and about 6 months ago the navigation system stopped working. The screen read "NO DISK DETECTED". I live about 3 hours from the nearest lexus dealership so I went to the Toyota dealership to see if it could be fixed. The toyota service people had no idea where the system was and told me I had lost the disk from the cd changer in the console. I told the man that the system had previosly worked fine and that the disk had never been in the cd changer. He said I was wrong and ordered a new disk. I went home and found this website and within 10 minutes discovered the navigation dvd player is located under the passenger seat. After finding it and ejecting the "missing disk", I realized the problem was with the dvd/navigation player. I tried cleaning the disk and the player to no avail. I then googled navigation service and found the following place, Audio & Video Service Stop in Massachusetts. I contacted them and spoke with Gary. He said he had some successes on prior Denso units (navigation manufacturer) but told me to send him the model and serial number so he could see if mine was a possibility. Lucky for me it was. I shipped it to them UPS and in 9 days now have a working Navigation system for $400.

Audio & Video Service Stop

288 Washington St.

Weymouth, Ma. 02188

(800)838-3394

www.videoservicestop.com

Lexus and Toyota do not even try and fix the players. They put in new systems or refurbished models. So before you buy a used player on ebay or have lexus replace your whole system check with them and see if they can fix yours. I get no kickbacks from this company, I only want others to be able to avoid being scammed at their dealerships.

• 8 months later...
I have a 2002 LX 470 and about 6 months ago the navigation system stopped working. The screen read "NO DISK DETECTED".

[snip]He said he had some successes on prior Denso units (navigation manufacturer) but told me to send him the model and serial number so he could see if mine was a possibility. Lucky for me it was. I shipped it to them UPS and in 9 days now have a working Navigation system for $400.

Audio & Video Service Stop

288 Washington St.

Weymouth, Ma. 02188

(800)838-3394

www.videoservicestop.com

Lexus and Toyota do not even try and fix the players. They put in new systems or refurbished models. So before you buy a used player on ebay or have lexus replace your whole system check with them and see if they can fix yours. I get no kickbacks from this company, I only want others to be able to avoid being scammed at their dealerships.

We had our Denso displaying 'no disk detected' by the same guys also, and are very happy even if it did still cost too much, it wasn't as bad as Toyota. Denso said their contract won't allow them to support the units directly, so would not advise a facility in the US capable of repairing these units at a reasonable rate. So we don't support or purchase anything Denso, as a policy. Toyota has no right quoting upwards of 6 grand for replacements. I'm not sure if a word exists to describe such laughable ridiculous absurdity. Our unit is in a 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser, I guess generation 2, label 86841-47020 462100-0363. I think the DVS-1000 rom drive laser failed, but I guess that's still a trade secret.