Engine Light And Trac Off Light On And P1155

Jun_he

My 2001 ES300 has these two lights on. I went to AUTOZONE and did OBD-II and get only one code P1155. I checked on the internet. It seems to mean A/F ratio sensor heater circuit malfuntion (bank 1 sensor 1 ). But Some other place says it is (bank 2 sensor 1 ). I am confused. Which one is that ? Does Bank 1 mean at the back of the engine.

My car has only 58k on it. Is it possible some other problems cause this code appear.

Thanks for any input.

My 2001 ES300 has these two lights on. I went to AUTOZONE and did OBD-II and get only one code  P1155.  I checked on the internet. It seems to mean A/F ratio sensor heater circuit malfuntion (bank 1 sensor 1 ). But Some other place says it is (bank 2 sensor 1 ). I am confused.  Which one is that ? Does Bank 1 mean at the back of the engine.

My car has only 58k on it.  Is it possible some other problems cause this code appear.

Thanks for any input.

http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/

Welcome to LOC. :D :D

Oh, I would do a search since I remember this topic going up like mad in the last 3 months. I do not have the answer and I know the past threads would.

Thanks for the quick response. So it has to be bank 1 sensor 1 ie the AF ratio sensor at the back of the engine. It will be harder to replace for sure. Should I use Bosch universal part or Denso part ?

Is it unusual for it to fail so early?? I did read some interesting exchange on a RX300 and its trouble to change so many things before he resolved issue.

After reading these, make me feel a lot less trustful on these cars....

Thanks for the quick response. So it has to be bank 1 sensor 1 ie the AF ratio sensor at the back of the engine. It will be harder to replace for sure.  Should I use Bosch universal part or Denso part ?

Is it unusual for it to fail so early?? I did read some interesting exchange on a RX300 and its trouble to change so many things before he resolved issue.

After reading these, make me feel a lot less trustful on these cars....

This link might help?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=13634&hl=

It shoul dbe very to get to from under the car.

I personally would buy Denso but they are like $180. The bosh ones with non OEM connector are like 50 to 80 I think.

Sometimes thing fail. Should this not be under warranty?

I checked with lexus and toyota dealer. The price is

$270, $238+tax

I searched on internet, seemes it will be about $220 for Denso part. Kinda afraid to get a part from internet and can't return it easily if it is a wrong one. Where can you get it for $180 ?

As to warranty, ES300 is covered only 4 year/50k miles. I can call them to ask to make sure....

I checked with lexus and toyota dealer. The price is

$270, $238+tax

I searched on internet, seemes it will be about $220 for Denso part.  Kinda afraid to get a part from internet and can't return it easily if it is a wrong one. Where can you get it for $180 ?

As to warranty, ES300 is covered only 4 year/50k miles.  I can call them to ask to make sure....

Try this site. I have these people on my homepage...Never ordered here but will when I need to for these sensors.

http://www.oxygensensors.com/

I have baught many parts online.. All 100% correct. Just double check. If worse comes to worse ask here, and we will help.. :D

I have order from here. GREAT people. I put in your car so it should pop up...free shipping!

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...=20&model=Es300

It the link does not go right there, on the left side under Keyword or Part Number

, type in oxygen and they will show up.

I would push the warrenty issue since it is only 8K miles out of warrenty. It has bene going long before warranty was up. They just do not go overnight...At least that is my thinking.

Thank you very much on the pointer. I called dealer, since I bought it on Feb. 2001. So both mileage and years are out of warranty, they said it is completely out of warranty. They can't do much about it.

I checked both sites. They don't seem to make difference between O2 sensor nad AF ratio sensor. This makes me worr a bit. In fact, when Lexus dealer quoted me O2 sensor at $170 this morning and changed to $270 later. This makes me think a lot of people don't know the difference between the two. The second site indeed has 20% restocking charge. I don't think I will need to restock it. But I got burnt before... I will continue to search..

One technical detail as to use jack & jack stand. I haven't used them for past 4 years since I got this new vehicle. Both are 2 tons. They worked for my civic. Will they work for my lexus and Odyssey? The jack is not floor jack but hydraulic. Do you think I would get enough height to work under on the 2ton jack stand ? Should I consider to buy a new floor jack as well ? Particularly after I was quoted from dealer $829 for 60k maintenance is outragous. If I am doing it now, I am doing it all for years to come.....

Wouldn't this be covered by the longer emission system warranty?

unfortunately O2 sensors and/or A/F sensors are not covered under that warranty either.

Bank 1 Sensor 1 (B1S1) is the rear bank, between the exhaust manifold and the cat. Good luck getting at it. This sensor went on my 02 ES when I had less than 40k miles on it. That was covered by the warranty, thank god, cause it is a bietch to get to. If you go under the car, don't get confused with Bank 1 Sensor 2 (B1S2)which will be staring you in the face. B1S2 is the sensor in the U section of the exhuast pipe and is not the suspect sensor in your case.

Bank 2 Sensor 1 (B2S1) went last May on the way home from Canada. That was easy to change out. Cost me $225 from a Toyota dealership. Lexus wanted $250.

steviej

steviej,

Thanks for your most valuable input. Because I only get one code P1155 from autozone's OBD-II scanner, I wonder if that will be good enough to change out AF sensor ?

So I tried to check out the resistence to determine if it is bad. B2S1 can be easily seen. But the B1S1's connector is reachable only from the top not bottom. It was dark so I have to check it today.

The interesting part about these sensors are THERE IS NO MANUFACTURER LABEL on top of them. At least I couldn't find any under my flashlight last night. Normally you would expect any genuine Lexus/toyota part will have some Band name/ part# etc on it. But these sensors don't. Is it normal at all ?

If Lexus tried to use subpar OEM part on this sensor, shouldn't it be their issue ?

The interesting part about these sensors  are THERE IS NO MANUFACTURER LABEL on top of them. At least I couldn't find any under my flashlight last night. Normally you would expect any genuine Lexus/toyota part will have some Band name/ part# etc on it. But these sensors don't. Is it normal at all ? 

If Lexus tried to use subpar OEM part on this sensor, shouldn't it be their issue ?

DENSO and the part number is actually inscribed on the side. Considering that it is used and my be dirty, I needed a magnifying glass to make sure I had the right match. Also when you get the new one, match it up side by side and the length of the wire is key.

steviej

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced B1S1 sensor Toyota Denso part# 89467-41030, which is exactly the same as the original one that is replaced. Engine check light and trac off light are still on. I cleared the code via method of disconnecting battery terminal method and/or autozone OBD2 code reader. After a minute I start the engine, the lights went back on and code reader stilll shows P1155. For OBD2 reader, I was able to clearly see the code is erased and 1 minute after I started my engine, it is back on. I double-checked on connection and part itself and everything is fine. When I re-connect the connector, I heard the click that means it was in place correctly, I looked at sensor socket they were exactly the same as the other one in front.

Now I am lost. Where else I should look at? Can anyone help me here ??

Interesting:

www.troublecodes.net/lexus says P1155 is Bank 1 Sensor 1

2002 ES Lexus shop manual says P1155 is Bank 2 Sensor 1

comparing the two references with other codes, the www.troublecode.net sight is incorrect. All other P115# codes on this sight say Bank 2 Sensor 1. The P113# codes are Bank 1.

you may still be ok. The only difference between the Bank 1 sensor and the Bank 2 sensor is the length of the wire from the sensor to the connector. B2S1 is easy to get to. remove the air intake tube so that you can get you hands to the connector. Eyeball or actually measure the wire that goes from the sensor to the connector. Then measure the wire on the extra sensor you now have, assuming you didn't throw away the one you originally took out from B1S1. If it is the same length or longer, then replace the defective B2S1 AF sensor with the extra one you have. However, if the wire is shorter it may not reach.

steviej

The B2S1 is longer than B1S1. Looks like I have to borrow some wire from the bad part and connect it to the good part. Too late to do this tonight. Eventually I have to replace the front one anyway and it WILL be a lot easier.

I am going to beat myself now without checking resistence to confirm bad sensor before trusting the website. I noticed the inconsistency of the meaning of P1155 at very beginning (See my first or second post on this topic). But I trusted SKperformance's code list and troublecode.net too much. But looking at the better side, I replaced the difficult one without introducing more trouble code and now I am still going to be one of DIY guy converting from the full dealer $$$ guy.

By the way, where did you get your repair manual. My Haynes book doesn't have P1xxx code at all.

• 3 years later...
My 2001 ES300 has these two lights on. I went to AUTOZONE and did OBD-II and get only one code P1155. I checked on the internet. It seems to mean A/F ratio sensor heater circuit malfuntion (bank 1 sensor 1 ). But Some other place says it is (bank 2 sensor 1 ). I am confused. Which one is that ? Does Bank 1 mean at the back of the engine.

My car has only 58k on it. Is it possible some other problems cause this code appear.

Thanks for any input.

I have a 2001 Lexus ES300 with both the Check Engine Light and Trac Light on. AutoZone analysis showed code P1135 Air/Fuel sensor heater circuit malfunction. I replaced the oxygen sensor, Bank 1, Senor 1, by the radiator easily. That did not solve the problem. I tried to replace, Bank 1, Senor 2, between the firewall and engine, on the exhaust manifold. That sensor was frozen in place, seized, and could not be removed.

I went to the Lexus dealer initially and they wanted $ 162. for analysis, $ 214. for the part, and $ 216. for labor. I have 80,800 miles on the car.

Please tell me how you think I should proceed?

Thanks,

Michael A. Miller

• 2 years later...

I'm sorry to bump an old thread, but I have code 1155 on my 2001 ES coming up. Lexus dealer said it is bank 2, sensor 1, but the mechanic himself was even a little confused on which bank triggers code 1155. The mismatches information discussed here is not comforting. Does anyone know exactly which sensor is the problem with code 1155? If not, then which sensor has the longer cable whereby allowing me to installing it for either bank?

Thanks for any input.

Guys, seriously? A/F and oxygen sensors are entry level. Anyway, Bank1 refers to the side of the engine that contains cylinder1(in this case, left side, towards front of vehicle). Bank2 refers to the side of the engine that contains cylinder2(in this case, right side, towards rear of vehicle). I got you a section of Lexus repair manual for a 2001 ES300. Otherwise, the code is the same for most models/years. Don't over analyze it, though. This code means you need the sensor.

CI__P1135_P1155_.pdf

Thanks for any input.

Guys, seriously? A/F and oxygen sensors are entry level. Anyway, Bank1 refers to the side of the engine that contains cylinder1(in this case, left side, towards front of vehicle). Bank2 refers to the side of the engine that contains cylinder2(in this case, right side, towards rear of vehicle). I got you a section of Lexus repair manual for a 2001 ES300. Otherwise, the code is the same for most models/years. Don't over analyze it, though. This code means you need the sensor.

Thanks for the reply. So this is not bank 2, sensor 1:

20111117134235944.jpg

Thanks for any input.

20111117134235944.jpg

Sorry dude, I got that backwards. Bank2 is towards the front, Bank1 is towards the rear.

Thanks for any input.

20111117134235944.jpg

Sorry dude, I got that backwards. Bank2 is towards the front, Bank1 is towards the rear.

NP. You wouldn't happen to know the part number for that sensor? I have a bunch of part numbers that lexus gave me; 89467-41040, 89467-41030, 89465-06020, 89465-3. Are they all the same just for different banks/sensors, thus the different numbers?

P.S. I sent you a PM Death