Estimate For Airbag Repair Is In

ED.

Well, today my dad took in the LS to have them look at the airbag and here it what they said.

-Customer states that they drove over a trench and would like to have vehicle checked over for damage.

-Left front air ride shock leaking fluid heavily

Cost to replace-1247.75 + tax

FPN-48010-50090+1130.75 Labor-117.00(Very shocked by this number)

I cant find that part number sheet at the moment but I am guessing its a whole new airbag? They also said the ball joints were loose, radius arm bushings worn and no timing belt/waterpump sticker so they are concerned about its age. What do you guys think? The contractors are suppose to pay fo rthe damage and then going to sue Steak and Shake but being this high I dont think they will. So he'll probably have to claim it on insurance. You guys were right they really screw you on those airbags. But I am very impressed on how they have performed. On no other car would I dare want an air suspension. Lexus really are the best!

thanks

That PN checked out with newlexusparts.com, and it's a lot cheaper! I tried to attach the url, but it wouldn't work, so I'll attach a screen shot. The other items they mentioned are certainly plausable for an almost 10y/o car. Depending on your car's mileage, I'd really look in to the timing belt, so that you don't end up stuck on the side of the road one day.

post-1461-1126581024_thumb.jpg

Ouch. I remember driving my friend's Range Rover to a dealership one day and seeing another RR in the shop. Someone had driven it into a fence in the snow and a piece of wood pierced the front air spring. :censored:

If the car is over 90k then I would vote to replace the timing belt as well. I can't tell if the 2nd generation (non VVTi) V8s are interference engines or not (if they are kiss your valves goodbye) but at the very least you don't want it to fail and strand you somewhere.

I'm not sure if the air springs have fluid in them or not. It could also be the conventional shocks...I think the AVS has adaptive shocks that work with the air springs, they may even be part of the springs for all I know. It's hard to tell from what the quote says.

Does the car 'sit' lower in the morning on that corner? This can happen after the pressure has had time to abate from the air springs and one is leaking. Depending on how large the leak is the car will return to normal once the engine (and air compressor) is running. Lexus charges a fortune for this part-- $1000 a pop sounds about right.

If it's indeed the air spring you might try these guys:

http://www.arnottindustries.com/

Double check posts in the LS forum (some people have complained they are slow to ship) but they have a lifetime warranty on the components (or so says their website). I think they sell the springs for about $300 a piece. If it's indeed the air spring this might be a more cost effective solution than the OEM part.

You can also buy conversion kits for around $1000 that will replace all 4 of the air springs with conventional steel springs. It's another way to go.

Thanks a lot you guys. YOu have been really helpful and will be even more tomorrow when I show my dad these URL's. He said he looked online all day and couldnt find them any cheaper. I cant wait to get this fixed. I havent notived too much of a problem with the car being lower. But it is Lexus so the thing could rip in two and still work fine : ). On a positive note, Lexus did wash the car for us. I thought that was really cool of them since we werent paying for anything. Usually this is expected but it was so dirty it really needed it and thats why I am so happy!

thanks again