Throttle Kick-down Cable / Throttle Body

smasood

I adjusted the Throttle kick down cable as described in link http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=20854 and shifiting from 1st to 2nd gear improved by 80% and I have also started feeling the difference with ECT button on.

1) Now with adjustment the gear shifts between 2500 to 3000 RPM but sometimes I still feel like somone has kicked the car especially if it is shfiting at a slow speed.

2) WONDERING should I change Sticking throttle body? Would it make shifting smoother?

3) Can I change throttle body myself (do it yourself project) or is it a professional's job.

4) As mentioned in the thread, by changing the kick-down cable to factroy position am I compromising on the life of transmission??

1) What do you mean?

2) I would clean it first. It eventually happens to every throttle plate from carbon build-up. When it's cleaned you can also dry a spray lubricant like Triflow sold in hardware/bicycle shops. I'm starting to have some good results with it after a few friends recommended it to me.

3) The throttlebody is fairly easy to do. Normally it's 2 * 12mm nuts & 2 * 12mm bolts holding it onto the upper intake. Take the two electrical connectors off (TPS & IAC/ISC), pull the vacuum lines off, pull the evap line, pull the coolant line.

That's the general instructions.

4) The rule of thumb is the less time a transmission takes shifting, the less the fluid heats up, the less wear on the slipping clutches & in general, less wear with everything else.

No it won't degrade the lifespan. Nor will it make the transmission last longer under strain. -> The maximum line pressure of the transmission is not increased. The line pressure simply get's higher, quicker, causing the valve body to shift with less throttle & shift faster.

I mean now if I accelerate the car normally I do not feel any kicks or jerks, but if I am in a stop and go traffic like idling in rush hour I still feel like SOMEONE HAS KICKED the car while shifting from 1st to 2nd or from 2nd to first. That is why I was thinking if there is something else I can do smooth shifting during slow moving traffic.

I personally like to thank member Toysrme for the Kick-down cable illustration. Before that I drove the car approximately 30000 miles hating the transmission. I took it to LeMyles transmission and they told me that they have to overhaul the transmission to fix the problem & it will cost me apporximatley $3000/-. With the help of illustrations, I adjusted kick-down cable and it is a hell lot of difference in driving. Thanks again.

:ph34r:

• 5 months later...

OK, I am revisiting this topic b/c of another idea - basically as adivsed previously I have tried to adjust kick-down cable at different positions

2) Cleaned throttle plate couple of times times

I am wondering - QUESTION 1) will changing kick-down cable along with the valve make a difference?

QUESTION 2) If anyone thinks yes - is it DIY or does it require professional experience professional

Basically I am Frustrated :angry: with the car kicking my back when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. :chairshot: want to fix it desparately b/c otherwise it runs great. ;)

I guess if the cable has stretched a ton so you couldn't get it tight enough, changing it would help. & I know not all the cables are the exact same spec. You can take two identicle model cars & move one 1/8" of the way tighter & it'll shift beautifully sporty, move it all the way tight & it'll be too much, then take another car & it'll bearly start shifting sporty by the time you have it all the way tightened.

But I'm not sure if that's gonna help or not. Just a thought.

You have to drop the valve body to change it. It's not a *hard* DIY, but it is a maaaaajor pita because the kick-down valve has a pretty dang strong spring you have to fight to get the cable on & off. (I use a small screwdriver to wedge it open).

I take it you tried all kinds of adjustment, I know you have the right level of good fluid in there & you've wiped off the filter screen too huh?

Yes, I have tried all types of adjustment given in different tranmission posts over here. Drained & replaced fluid, only thing I have not opened the transmission pan - will try to do this first - if it dose not work then will try to figure out a shop who agrees to change kick down cable.

Thanks buddy - you have been a great help.

I haven't opened the forum yet, but it's working. Next to nothing is in it. So much stored information between several people, along with a few new projects... I'm struggling to compile it all on top of being really busy.

http://lextreme.com/v6/viewforum.php?f=4

My valvebody is sitting in a bag in my basement. If you want me to do a short video on how to take the valvebody off including the cable I'd be happy to do it. It's gonna rain here tomorrow & ruin a lot of my plans :angry: . But I really need to know, because I'm rebuilding my valvebody tomorrow morning & as soon as I think I can get a solid hour without rain, it's going back in the car.

All of that being said. I just don't really think it's the cable, but yes... There is, atleast in easily brouhgt up theory, the chance that it's the cable. ;) That being said, dropping the pan is the next best step.

Thanks, Having a video is a great idea - A VIdeo == Million words. :) I will wait for the video and will attepmt to change it on my next off weekend - golden weekend ;). I tried to download the current video from lextreme but it was giving me some errors.

I greatly appreciate your help. Thanks for videos.

WOW :) Great work - I was able to download the movie and view it clearly. I am waiting for the second one to see the changing the valve - and will do both things at once on mine. i.e. changing filter & valve with kick down cable. Hope that will smooth the shifting from 1st to 2nd gear.

Thanks. Great Work.

• 5 months later...

My rough shifting stopped after I realised that the cable was sticking in the casing. Instead of going through the pan drop and valve body removal I went for the temp fix of straightening the bend in the casing at he point where the cable attaches to the throttle body bracket.

I guess I'll it properly shortly though!

• 8 months later...
I mean now if I accelerate the car normally I do not feel any kicks or jerks, but if I am in a stop and go traffic like idling in rush hour I still feel like SOMEONE HAS KICKED the car while shifting from 1st to 2nd or from 2nd to first. That is why I was thinking if there is something else I can do smooth shifting during slow moving traffic.

I personally like to thank member Toysrme for the Kick-down cable illustration. Before that I drove the car approximately 30000 miles hating the transmission. I took it to LeMyles transmission and they told me that they have to overhaul the transmission to fix the problem & it will cost me apporximatley $3000/-. With the help of illustrations, I adjusted kick-down cable and it is a hell lot of difference in driving. Thanks again.

:ph34r:

can you tell me where the kick down cable is? I have hard shifting from 1st to 2nd gear most of the time. do i need to adjust kick down cable?