Change Keyblade

smasood

post-4105-1126307990_thumb.jpgHi,

I am trying to change the key blade for my 1993 ES300. I have reached so far as opening the circuit board but the blade seems to be sealed. Has anyone changed the blade for 1993, Do I need to use cut the plastic or is it glued inside plastic cover. Any one has experienced it before. I have attached the picture . Thanks in advance for helpful hints.

Also does anyone know where can I get the key blade cut in Baltimore MD, beside lexus dealership??

That key is not from a 93 lexus but a newer one.

You can get used keys from ebay and dremel off the plastic holding it and slide it back up out the shell and just reinsert your pre cut one and transponder in.

Just confirming from reading posts and trying to search for the right answer, but I can buy a "cut" key from ebay and the reprogram it for my car as long as I already have one master... ?

NEVER MIND somewhat...took some diggin' but found I have to buy a blank, still working on the regular one or long one, have it laser cut and then have it programmed...took awhile, but hopefully that is right. I have two now, but I would like to have three and put the 3rd in the safe...unless two is the max the puter' will handle ???? That is still not clear in my head. Thanks

This is for 98 and newer keys which can be programmed.

OK , i will try and give you an overview of keys since i don;t think i made one before.

You can have up to 4 key transponders and wireless remote buttons to any given vehicle.

They can be added easily in your driveway with on line instructions by following a 12 step procedure of locking/unlocking doors and what not.

The wireless alarm is a separate procedure from the vehicle transponder which arrest the engine from starting.

You can buy a fully cut used key (shell for buttons and old cut key) with or without a transponder. This will provide you a new shell if needed from your broken but you still have a working transponder and key.

You can get a key completely uncut with or without a transponder, so if you loose a key you can program the new one and replace it.

If you loose both keys and only have a master ,dealers will tell you that you have to buy a new ecu for the wireless transponder system as they need a working master to program the car.

Well they are wrong , i programmed mine with a working (grey)valet key to get a new master added .

A key is about $250 for one from the dealer.

eBay has them from

$20 for a shell only

$20-40 for a used shell and transponder

$30-50 new shell and uncut key blank no transponder( you get it cut yourself at a locksmith)

$40-100 for a new key uncut with a transponder ,sometimes new and some offer cutting for $15.

Don't pay more than this you are only driving the market price up for everyone including yourself.

Thanks guys - very helpful indeed. The only thing I am still not sure about is the cutting of the key.

(1) Are the cuts the same for all of them, but it's the internals that make them different so a car can't be opened or started.....oooorrrrrrr

(2) is each laser cut different for each car ???

Blame it on the lack of coffee in da house :cries:

Each car has a different key cut for it.

The transponder in the head is unique to each car,without the right combo the car cannot start.

That is why you need the key cut to your existing lock combination then the head needs to be programmed to your car.

If it is just a shell that is broken but you already have a key and transponder from the damaged one then it is real easy,.

I did one last night for a friend where i took one of my extra shells with someone elses key blank ,.

I dremeled the plastic retainer off the top of where the key is sealed in the shell head, Then slid it up ,so when he got home he just needed to slide his key into the shell i gave him ,insert the transponder which he alreayd had .Screw it together and he would be done. No programming or cutting needed since he alreayd had it from his broken key,.

• 1 month later...
glad to help when someone has a question just not the same ones over and over as i tend to post as detailed as possible and it becomes a real pain that someon won;t bother to find it from before.

Skperformance, could you have a look at my questions at:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=24854

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

This is for 98 and newer keys which can be programmed.

OK , i will try and give you an overview of keys since i don;t think i made one before.

You can have up to 4 key transponders and wireless remote buttons to any given vehicle.

They can be added easily in your driveway with on line instructions by following a 12 step procedure of locking/unlocking doors and what not.

The wireless alarm is a separate procedure from the vehicle transponder which arrest the engine from starting.

You can buy a fully cut used key (shell for buttons and old cut key) with or without a transponder. This will provide you a new shell if needed from your broken but you still have a working transponder and key.

You can get a key completely uncut with or without a transponder, so if you loose a key you can program the new one and replace it.

If you loose both keys and only have a master ,dealers will tell you that you have to buy a new ecu for the wireless transponder system as they need a working master to program the car.

Well they are wrong , i programmed mine with a working (grey)valet key to get a new master added .

A key is about $250 for one from the dealer.

eBay has them from

$20 for a shell only

$20-40 for a used shell and transponder

$30-50 new shell and uncut key blank no transponder( you get it cut yourself at a locksmith)

$40-100 for a new key uncut with a transponder ,sometimes new and some offer cutting for $15.

Don't pay more than this you are only driving the market price up for everyone including yourself.

Hey guys, I just purchased a 98 ES 300 a couple of weeks ago. Now i have done some research and this site has been extremely helpful. My car came with one black (master) key. I just purchased a used remote only from ebay. I wanted to know if the programming instructions were the same as those for remote keys and also if remote keys would work on my 98 ES because i have heard otherwise. THanks!