Transmission Noise? Muffler Noise? Help!

wednesday

My 1999 rx300 AWD makes a noise when I accelerate at low speeds, sounds like a muffler rattle, but could be some sort of Trans problem, the car has 65,000 miles. It does not shift weird, drives fine, never had any problems of the sort before. The noise sounds like a heat shield, but with all the problems with the Transmision problems mentioned i worry. Any comments would be great.

I experienced the transmission failure on my 99 rx300 and didn't hear the noise you are describing. At first the transmission (while accelerating AND decellerating) was making a whining noise, and then one day on the highway it wouldn't downshift right, and i heard a grinding noise and it went out all together.

The problem you're experiencing "may" be the transmission but i haven't heard of that being a symptom.

I'm not too sure what it could be. But if your transmission still shifts right, i doubt that's the problem.

When a catalytic converter is failing, it often rattles upon acceleration. Sounds almost as if there is a small rock rattling around inside it. If it turns out to be your catalytic converter, that component should still be under warranty for you. A Midas Muffler shop will probably check your catalytic converter at no charge - I'd start there.

When a catalytic converter is failing, it often rattles upon acceleration.  Sounds almost as if there is a small rock rattling around inside it.  If it turns out to be your catalytic converter, that component should still be under warranty for you.  A Midas Muffler shop will probably check your catalytic converter at no charge  -  I'd start there.

Maybe its the flex pipe between the front head pipe and the pipe going to the cat converter. See if its cracked, if so go to an independent muffler shop and have a honda style flex union put in. It will cost you a lot less than lexus and is a lot stronger.

• 3 weeks later...
It sounds to me like it's the flex pipe lenore mentions above. This is a common failure item. Have it checked at an independent muffler shop as suggested.

Very timely info for a symptom I've been experiencing. For those knowledgeable about the repair suggested for the flex union joint, could you provide a ballpark price for parts/labor for this repair - would make me smarter in knowing I'm getting all I need (i.e. avoid wallet drain). Stopped at local Midas today - they were too busy to look at it today, but on inquiring what it might cost based on union prior to cat, desk person suggested could be in $700 range. Knowing shops like this like to go worst scenario - and I want to go lowest cost for another 12 months or so of ownership, I'd value input from you all. My 99 FWD has 110k on it and no exhaust work done on it to this point. Have been getting a periodic check engine light - on and off three times in past 2k miles.

Thanks in advance.

Stay away from Midas, go to an independent shop and ask them to put the Honda style flex coupling in, it will have to be welded. Mine cost $105 out the door with the parts and labor. Midas will soak you dry.

Stay away from Midas, go to an independent shop and ask them to put the Honda style flex coupling in, it will have to be welded.  Mine cost $105 out the door with the parts and labor.  Midas will soak you dry.

Many thanks for the insight - I appreciate it.

I found the receipt for the flex pipe it is a generic 2 inch flexible connection and can be ordered from any muffler shop, looks the ones on Honda. Cost was $65 and labor for the remainder of the $105 dollor total.

• 1 year later...

I found the receipt for the flex pipe it is a generic 2 inch flexible connection and can be ordered from any muffler shop, looks the ones on Honda. Cost was $65 and labor for the remainder of the $105 dollor total.

Glad I checked the forum on this! My RX300 had the loud exhaust sound described here. Local Toyota said it was flex pipe and they didn't have the part but Lexus was closed (Sat.) so they couldn't give me a price. I called Lexus and got a quote of $270 just for parts! Local Muffler Man franchise installed stainless steel Honda style mesh flex pipe with 1 year warranty for $96.

Glad you got it resolved for such a small amount of money. Keep us posted on how this fix continues to hold up for you. This thread can help others save some considerable money as well. Nice job.

Glad you got it resolved for such a small amount of money. Keep us posted on how this fix continues to hold up for you. This thread can help others save some considerable money as well. Nice job.

Will do RX in NC!

• 2 weeks later...