Welding The Rear End?

I am thinking about welding my rear-end. My SC is soon to be a track only car and I can think of a lot better things that I can spend $1000 on instead of a KAAZ LSD. I am wondering if the differential and axles can take this amount of stress. What problems do you guys think this would pose on my rear-end?

If you want to call me cheap or dont have any positive/helpful advice please keep it to yourself.

Thanks,

Derek

Lexus SC300 black with black wheels 5-speed

Ducati 750 SS

63 Impala 49k original miles

85 Toyota Corolla aka AE86 (have had 12 of these amazing cars!)

When you say track, do you mean 1/4 mile or ???.... I really don't think it's a good idea to weld it. For a drag only car I suppose, but you're better off trying to find the rear end of another car that you could scrounge from the wreckers and rebuild the LSD section of it.

If you're going road racing, spend the money on a decent LSD. FWIW, you might be able to find one of the supra guys that upgraded to an aftermarket LSD, and buy his stock unit.

I've never had trouble getting the power down at the strip anyway, it usually will spin both if at all, even with an open diff.

HTH,

Aaron

The car is going to be for drifting purposes. Yeah I have been looking for a used Differential for my an SC just in case I do have some trouble with the welded one. Yeah I have noticed that both tires do spin when I power brake or drop the clutch at above 2k rpm, but when i drift in the dry the car has a slight amount of body roll that makes the inside tire do a one wheel smoke show.

what kind of suspension work do you have done? If you're already using a lowered susp, you might want to consider getting some thats stiffer, along with all the roll bars, strut bars, sway bars, and all the other bars that the car can handle, to give the frame as much rigidity as you can. You'd be surprised how much the right suspension can hurt or kill you in the right or wrong circumstances. If you got that all covered, def go with a LSD. Trust me bro.... im the king of "el cheapo" mods, from pvc intakes, to cut springs, homemade piggyback ecu's, ive tried it all bro. Never tried to weld tho as this sc is my first rear wheel drive car. Anyway, my point is, you get what you pay for. In the end, it is all about quality and durability. What would you do? Save a few hundred bucks on the rear end, or spend it and fore-go a possible nightmare later on. Wow, i sound like my parents.... ew. God bro, do what you want..... ew.

juancho

• 1 month later...
sc300 drifter. do it up and let me know how you make out. seriously i'm to scared to try

You first, I am terrified myself. lol. I really want to do it but its a pretty big risk if the welds end up breaking. My buddy had 4 rear-ends welded up on his AE86, there was a reason in wasn't just one. And the whole point is a CHEAP full lock diff.

Does anyone know of a locker or an L.S.D. that is cheaper then $800? It gets pretty irritating hanging it sideways and then all of a sudden the wheels start to transfer power back and forth, very inconsistent drifts in the dry. It doesnt like to hold the slide that long when it transfers the power. So any help will be much appreciated.

The problem with welding is that there is not enough contact area for the weld to secure to. Another option is to remove the diff and have someone design and laser cut some blocks with teeth that will mesh into the gears, then you weld this block in. This is alot stronger and more secure.

Just my 2CW!