Gs 400 60k Mile Service

Does anyone know if there is a cheaper way to get the 60k mile service done for a GS400? I'm not too excited about spending nearly $900 on this.

Would it be a bad idea to have someone other than a lexus dealer do it? Does that void my extended (Certified Pre-Owned) warrenty?

Any info is appreciated!

I'm in Atlanta area. I'm sure there is one around, I haven't looked though. Will they usually do the same quality work as the dealer though? (I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference for a service)

just curious, have you checked to see what they do on the 60k?

I just got a 99 gs400, it has 80k miles, and my printout of the service history only mentions:

engine oil and filter

air filter

coolant

air conditioner filter

brake fluid

transmission fluid

differential fluid

check battery

rotate tires / check air pressure

inspect spare tire

inspect brake discs, lines, hoses, etc.

adjust parking brake

Thats it! Any decent lube shop that uses quality fluids can do all of that! And probably for something more like $200 instead of $900. ;)

I'd second the opinion above of checking with a Toyota shop. Someone has mentioned here before that they tend to be cheaper, if the shop owner will even do a Lexus.

Oh, incidentally, my car did end up having the "V belt" replaced at around 68k. Not sure if it broke or what. From what I can tell, they do NOT mean the timing belt, probably more like the accessory drive belt. (serpentine belt)

I can't remember the sepcifics, I belive most of it is listed in the owners manual. The service consultant at the Lexus dealer did mention the replacement of a belt, or something along those lines. It wasn't the timing belt. The timing belt is scheduled to be replaced at 90k for the 400

• 5 months later...

I'm the lucky owner of a 2000 Platinum edition GS 300/Silver. The car is fabulous. I'm on Active duty in the US Navy, so I have access to what we call a auto hobby shop. These shops have lots of tools, lifts etc. Except for a few things, I do most of the maintenance myself. I only have 41,000 miles on my 300, but when my 60 comes around I'll will be doing it myself. It only cost us 5/hr. to use the lifts. As you can see this isn't a bad deal and I can take my time and do things right with some TLc.