Starter Problems?

xl8rguy

I believe I'm having a starter problem with my '97 SC300. I was having problems starting the car - clicking but not turning over - so I replaced the battery. It seemed to work fine for a couple of weeks but started doing the same thing.

I don't think it's the battery/alternator because all the accessories work.

When I go to start, I get the clicking noise (which I assume is the starter solenoid). But it just doesn't turn over. If I keep trying, eventually it will kick in. But that's after 5 or 6 times of turning the key.

I suspect it's my starter.

First of all, any thoughts on what else it could be?

Secondly, what should I expect to pay to have it replaced?

Thirdly, is it something that I can do myself (in a few hours)? :cheers: Or is it one of things that requires the engine to be taken apart? :cries:

BTW, it has 170k miles on it.

Anyone? Anyone?

good news!! since you have a 300 you can do it yourself! might take a few hours but you can do it! and well its most likey the solenoid contact and you should just take it out and get it rebuilt. it should be about a $100 bucks.

Purchase the Lexus Factory Service manual for your vehicle. That is one of the most important things for your car.

I don't know how much you know about cars, but...the starter should be on the underside of your vehicle, near where the engine connects w/ your transmission.

I have rebuild the solenoids on a lot of Toyotas. If you've got a buddy that's halfway mechanical, take your starter out and get him to clean/replace the copper contacts and ring on the solenoid.

I've never had to replace the metal. Everytime I shimmed/filed/sanded the contacts, the starter ended up outlasting the car.

A rebuild kit should only be $20-40 and that'll come with new contacts, bearing, bushes, etc.... but again this is work for somebody pretty mechanical.

Good luck,

Aaron

hey bro... the same thing happened to me. It is def the starter. I went and got the starter rebuilt and it worked like a charm. Cost me 145.00 b/c i got the alternator rebuilt too. Watch out for a leak in the distributor, as it tends to leak oil in high mileage, older sc's. If it leaks oil, it falls on the alternator causing that to go as a well. Happy Hunting.

Juancho

I have rebuild the solenoids on a lot of Toyotas. If you've got a buddy that's halfway mechanical, take your starter out and get him to clean/replace the copper contacts and ring on the solenoid.

I've never had to replace the metal. Everytime I shimmed/filed/sanded the contacts, the starter ended up outlasting the car.

A rebuild kit should only be $20-40 and that'll come with new contacts, bearing, bushes, etc.... but again this is work for somebody pretty mechanical.

Good luck,

Aaron

Anyone have the part number on that starter rebuild kit for the sc300?