Vaistech Results?

mooks005

I just bought a 2005 GX470 and am considering purchase of the AVIC-100x to integrate XM radio. The only catch is that their website says you can only tell if your radio supports MD mode (to show song title and artist) is to buy their unit and try it.

For those who have installed this unit, did your radio support MD mode? :wacko:

Yes, I just bought one and had it installed this weekend. It works as advertised with the MD selection. In fact, my panel now shows an option to two MD inputs (and their are two inputs on my AVIC-100). Be sure to get the recommended Radio Shack ground loop isolator (about $19) or you will have faint, spurious noise.

The sound quality is amazingly better than with the FM modulator. Bass and treble both have greatly extended range. If you like quality, XM radio and want it in your GX470, this is the unit to get!

I just bought a 2005 GX470 and am considering purchase of the AVIC-100x to integrate XM radio. The only catch is that their website says you can only tell if your radio supports MD mode (to show song title and artist) is to buy their unit and try it.

For those who have installed this unit, did your radio support MD mode?:wacko:

The GX470 whether you program the vais unit to CD or MD will display text information. I have installed at least 100 of these.

I have an 05 GX with the ML system. I live about and hour and a half from New Rochelle. What would it cost for installation of the vais unit? Thanks

georgecouch,

Can you please give me a little more info on the RS ground loop isolator? If you have a model number that would be great. Also, where does that go in the installation scheme??

I'm anxiously waiting for my to be delivered from Vais. Can you please tell me where you put the XMDirect unit, and where you put the Vais unit?

Last question is where you do mount the antenna, and how did you run the wire to that location.

Really, really apppreciate your help.

The vais unit and the XM tuner i mount behind the glove box. It is a nice pot and very neat. The XM antenna gets mounted on the top of the roof in the back of the car. I grind away a little metal under the weatherstripping and run the wire under it. Of course I protect both sides of the wire with rubber butyl so that the metal doesnt pinch it. It then runs along the panel line all the way to the front making sure it doesnt get in the way of any airbag deployment.

The ground loop isolator just goes in line with the RCA cables to the XM tuner.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the unit over the weekend (in an '05 GX470 with ML/Nav/DVD). Realy easy, following Darylhuff's instruction. Hardest part, or should I say scariest part was to remove the 2 wood trim pieces on the center console. They're on very tight, so when you try to remove them, you have a feeling that they're going to break. But they'll come off with a little force.

There are a few problems that I'm experiencing since the installation. Thought I would report them here to share with others...

1. My navigation went 'whacko' after everything is installed. It told me that I'm at one place, where I'm really about 15 miles away. I panicked at first, but then just went into the Setup screen to calibrate it. So I have to move the arrow to where I really was, and then set it. Ever since, the Nav seems to be OK. No more problem. Has to be the XM antenna intefering with the Nav system. BTW, I put the antenna in the rear of the car (on roof)

2. While listening to XM, say I pulled into my garage and turn off the engine. The next day I started the car, the radio will be silence (I think it's because there's no sat signal while I'm in my garage). I have to pull out of the garage, drive for about 1-2 minutes before I get sound. A quicker way would be to change to a different channel as soon as I back out of the garage, then I'll get sound in about 15-20 seconds.

3. Similar to issue # 2, but this time I'm drving and listening to XM radio. Then I decide to switch to either AM or FM or CD. After a few minutes, I decide to switch back to XM. Again, dead silence for 1-2 minutes before the sound returns. Or I just change to a different channel, and will get sound in about 15-20 seconds.

4. The manual shows you how to save presets (favorite stations), but it does not seem to be working very well. Everytime I save a few presets, it seems to erase all previous ones. No big deal, just kind of annoying.

Other than #2 and #3, which are bugging me, the unit works as described. Sounds great, very easy to use (integrated well with the Nav/Radio system). I strongly recommend it to all Lexus owners out there that want XM.

Cheers,

Got it. Thanks a million! Got my Vaistech unit installed this weekend and it works great. Only complaint is that your music has to be organized into playlists. You can't just scroll through your entire library, unless I just haven't figured that out yet. Does the unit work better in CD or MD emulation mode?

Got it.  Thanks a million!  Got my Vaistech unit installed this weekend and it works great.  Only complaint is that your music has to be organized into playlists.  You can't just scroll through your entire library, unless I just haven't figured that out yet.  Does the unit work better in CD or MD emulation mode?

That's great. Congratulation. I'm not sure what you meant by organizing music into playlists though?? Can you elaborate a little more on that? Maybe I'll learn something new.

As for emulation, Vaistech recommends MD and it comes from the factory with this as the default setting.

Let's share some good and bad about this unit so others can learn. Looking at my previous post, are you having the same 'bug' issues as I do??

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

I had my Vaistech AIC-100x installed this week. It seemed great initially, displayed text and I could cycle between channels 0, 1, and 247 on XM. Then I tried to activate my XM many times for the next few days with no success.

I brought it back today and they setup the XM commander with its remote control, rather than using the AIC-100x for control and it activated fine. Plugged control back into the AIC-100x and everything was fine. However, every time the ignition is cycled, no text or ability to change channels on the AIC-100x unless the control cable is unplugged and then replugged.

I am currently using the XM Commander remote for control and the AIC-100x for audio only. Sounds great, but is not as clean as I would have hoped. Has anyone run into anything like this???

:cries:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
bump

I am resurrecting an old thread because I am having problems with Vaistech warranty repairs.

We have a different Lexus but the dealer had CarToys install the Vaistech SLX with an Audiovox XM receiver. The Vaistech died and it turns out that even under warranty you can't just get a replacement. The Vaistech module must be sent to Vaistech for "repair". I'm picturing some guy in the backroom who slowly solders each component one by one - come on, no one really believes there is a repair going on just a replace.

So, over a month later we're still without XM. Something to think about before buying the Vaistech devices.

Andy