Car Follows Changes In Road

Maximaboy1

Hi,

When I'm driving the SC along paved roads, the car sometimes tends to follow the cracks at slow speeds (<40) and such in the road (steering wheel steers itself from left to right slightly). What could be the cause?

Check Control arm bushings and ball joints. That usually is the cause. You may also want to look into replacing the steering bushings if you have somewhat high mileage. A good way to make sure the ball joint on each wheel is ok is to jack the wheel up and then tug the bottom of the tire or the top towards you to check to see if there's any movement.

Hi,

When I'm driving the SC along paved roads, the car sometimes tends to follow the cracks at slow speeds (<40) and such in the road (steering wheel steers itself from left to right slightly). What could be the cause?

I changed to Michelin Pilot Sport tires on my 2002 SC430 and got rid of most of what you are complaining about. The original tires stunk.

Check Control arm bushings and ball joints. That usually is the cause. You may also want to look into replacing the steering bushings if you have somewhat high mileage. A good way to make sure the ball joint on each wheel is ok is to jack the wheel up and then tug the bottom of the tire or the top towards you to check to see if there's any movement.

I doubt it's the tires. I've had the car since 80K miles and it's now at 108K. It has ahppened since day 1, which had Bridgestone RE730 tires and now it has worn BfGoodrich KDWS tires. I'm guessing it's the bushings or something. How much would it cost to replace those things?

thanks for the responses..I love this forum.

hey bro,

yea i had the same problem one time. I had gone on a drunken rampage one night in the grove and hit a sidewalk dirty style. After that the car would take any small deviation in the asphalt and... well for lack of a better term... follow it. The yaw of the tires was off. ( i think it yaw, i know its not camber.) Anyway, my right front tire was like 4 degrees off center, which... one, caused the car to handle horribly, and two tweaked my steering wheel quite a bit. I bet it would worn the hell out of the tires, alas the day would not come. A couple days later, some cuban lady sideswiped me and poof, it was gone. Anyway, i was just saying that i think it might be an allignment problem. Good luck man. happy Hunting

Juancho

i changed the bushings and iot stopped, control arms bushings and stabalizer. But i did also get new tires same time. Sooooooooooooo.

Get the Daizen Bushings for the control arms there only 185 bucks for the front, ur car defintly needs them anyways with 108k on it.

Probably 50K miles ago...Umm, the car goes straight when I let go of the wheel....

That's a function of caster. Toe-in (or toe-out) affects how quickly the car responds to changes of the wheel. For instance, most autocrossers like to toe out their cars for better response. Sure, just don't drive it on the highway. :)