Strange Cooling Problem

su24

Ive searched the site, but have not come across a problem quite similar to mine. I had a 92, just got a 93 (wrecked the 92) and a strange cooling problem is occuring. First, this car reaches normal operating temp much faster than my old es did. Then, after about 15 minutes of driving, the temp gauge will rise when Im idle. Then when I accelerate, the gauge goes back to normal. If I drive for more than say 30 min, the guage goes to red. When I looked under the hood after this happened, there was no smoke or visible leak anywhere. I figure it to be a circulation problem but dont know where it could be. The rad was replaced a few months ago. All hoses look fine and the res tank is always at normal levels. Also, at normal operating temp, there is a heavy whine when I step on the gas. I hope its not a big problem, but my 92 never acted like this. Any suggestions?

Its the green stuff. And after bleeding the system, the problem hasn't occurred yet, but I haven't driven it too far. What im really worried about is this whining noise that happens only at normal operating temp.

Probably the PS belt, or alt/assesory belt whining. Replace them both.

AFA the cooling problem. Sounds to me like the Power steering pump relay is unpluged.

Crank the car. Open the diagnostics port & bridge E1 & OP1. The powersteering fan should go to it's high speed.

If it doesn't, the relay is unpluged.

The wiring connector is located on top of the PS pump. Reachable by the top of the engine bay,

MVC-522F.jpg

MVC-521F.jpg

or through the acess panel in the passanger wheel.

MVC-515F.jpg

If that's OK, replace both caps (Radiator & intake manifold) & the thermostat.

• 1 year later...

Just bled the system...... think it might be the problem, but the whine still happens. Any thought on that?

hey su24, I have a similar problem going on with my 92 es300. I was wondering if you figured it out already. Maybe you can give me some advice.